Who is the hardest puncher in the world today (all combat sports)?

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F927316088%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

this man's power was unreal

Julian Jackson was unreal.

But ma buoy is still...

The fucking man.

Fair tip of the hat to power punchers of years gone by

But you can't acknowledge these guys without giving a historical salute to dudes like Joe Louis and George Foreman surely??

And I know no-one wants to state the obvious but c'mon... Iron Mike was a monster in his day.

Unfortunately no MMA star past or present will live up to any of these dudes in terms of punching prowess, however if I had to take MMA fighters on an individual basis I'd go with Ngannou and Rumble in terms of raw power... whilst also considering the likes of Jonny Hendricks and Paul Daley in terms of p4p punching power.

does Wilder's power come from lack of technique or would proper technique boost his power even more?

Wilder has massive natural power. Absolutely freakish. And he actually has underrated technique (his right generally comes straight down the middle like a heat seeker). But he can get wild when his man is hurt, which is where the wild windmill perception comes from..

Mike Perry ofc,

Platinum bless

There's two types of power one is a thudding/pushing power with a punch, the other is a explosive power that Is a combination of power, speed, and snap.

Wilder could easily be the most explosive puncher in today's current lineup however he doesn't have the most deep thudding power.

George foreman was a Great example of thudding power the guy would rock people with very light punches, Wilder doesn't do that.

I tend to a believe a explosive punch leads to more 1 shot kos where as a hard punch tends to rock them.

Last edited:
Fair tip of the hat to power punchers of years gone by

But you can't acknowledge these guys without giving a historical salute to dudes like Joe Louis and George Foreman surely??

And I know no-one wants to state the obvious but c'mon... Iron Mike was a monster in his day.

Unfortunately no MMA star past or present will live up to any of these dudes in terms of punching prowess, however if I had to take MMA fighters on an individual basis I'd go with Ngannou and Rumble in terms of raw power... whilst also considering the likes of Jonny Hendricks and Paul Daley in terms of p4p punching power.

I agree with all your points, in particular regarding Daley.

I will like to say, tho, that Joe Louis, Big George and Iron Mike were what they were because their raw power was supported by a great technique to apply that power. Ernie Shavers or Sonny Liston were able to display incredible raw power but lacked in technique. Tyson, during his peak, was a terrifying puncher but very often people forget about the many, many hours of training to develop the technique that made that power an incredible advantage: the way the legs pivots the force, the body rotation, the distance control, the elbow/shoulder movement etc etc etc.
Tommy Hearns KOed people all the way from (boxing) Welters to Cruiserweight, because he had power but also the speed, accuracy and general technique. Today you can see GGG, who is dropping dudes left and right and is very good technically.
So, yes, Wilder is sometimes wild, but I don´t see him only as a raw power puncher.
I would not like to be punched by one of those dudes, yo.

The initial straight right hand is perfectly set up. All hell breaks loose after.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Clean set-ups against the most technical boxer at heavyweight.

Oh when hes poised he uses his reach like a champ but when he gets excited (because he started the sport so late) all training goes out the window lol

I agree with all your points, in particular regarding Daley.

I will like to say, tho, that Joe Louis, Big George and Iron Mike were what they were because their raw power was supported by a great technique to apply that power. Ernie Shavers or Sonny Liston were able to display incredible raw power but lacked in technique. Tyson, during his peak, was a terrifying puncher but very often people forget about the many, many hours of training to develop the technique that made that power an incredible advantage: the way the legs pivots the force, the body rotation, the distance control, the elbow/shoulder movement etc etc etc.
Tommy Hearns KOed people all the way from (boxing) Welters to Cruiserweight, because he had power but also the speed, accuracy and general technique. Today you can see GGG, who is dropping dudes left and right and is very good technically.
So, yes, Wilder is sometimes wild, but I don´t see him only as a raw power puncher.
I would not like to be punched by one of those dudes, yo.

100% agree with everything you said.

And I totally agree with your point on the technique those power punchers acquired in order to perfect the danger behind their punching ability.

To be fair I did say that no MMA star will come close to the overall "punching ability" of the boxers mentioned, simply because (whilst they may possess the same raw athletic ability) they will never attain the same precise technique which aleviated said boxers above their competition to being the most dangerous punchers in history.

Remember we're specifically referring to punching here. I'm sorry but there is no MMA fighter in history (past or present) who can come close to matching the punching power of the boxers we've mentioned.

Another often forgotten hard hitter was Rampage Jackson when he was on, they had him on sports science hitting a punch machine like nighercantspellagaouuuuu and it was insane.
MePTRH8.jpg

Back