Media The 2nd hardest puncher of all time?

Do you think Tyrone Spong is among the 10 hardest punchers of the world at this moment?

• Total voters
PTkGUsk.gif

Who is?

I dont rate these things at all. I dont think its really something that can be measured. Its a gimmick.

Pre-creatine Spong was a thing of beauty. He carried some of the weight well but i.m.o the muscular HW status for Spong was a bit of a red herring. His tools were speed and fight i.q. He seemed to go from technician with power to then seeking power as his main tool. He definitely whacks hard and I'l always fanboy him but I just wish he'd slimmed down post leg mash-up and returned somewhere consistently. I hoped he's box regularly but I have no idea what happened.

He's 38 now so who knows what will happen in KB?

At some point, Tyrone Spong held fhe title of the hardest measured punch of all around the world, before Francis Ngannou broke his record and became the hardest puncher in the world.
This makes Spong (theoretically) the second hardest puncher of all time.

PFL just posted this finish of him on their socials, which inspired me to create this thread.
Wnat do you think?:

If you’re net impressed yet, you should definitely check out this knockout of Tyrone Spong where he absolutely Knocked the Life out of Michael Duut with one singe punch, immediately after getting dropped by Duut himself (you’re probably familiar with this finish though).
Honestly, this is one of the craziest rounds I’ve ever seen!

Do you think Tyrone Spong is among the hardest punchers of the world?

I don't think either of them is the hardest puncher in the world.

"Among?" Maybe Ngannou.

But I think the whole idea of a "punch stat machine" is dubious, at best.

Reason being, other things come into play: speed, timing, leverage in real life, etc.

It's like the the difference between the static nature of "smiling for a picture" vs. the real-life joy of an authentic smile ...

They're just different.

No hardest puncher ever (across all combat disciplines) thread can exist without Julian 'The Hawk' Jackson being mentioned. Dude was an absolute torque monster, at middleweight.

Just marvel at the hook mechanics:

dZxT6P.gif

dgib.gif

You see the same kind of left hook mechanics from Poatan. The power is generated properly from the ground up by setting the feet, then they use the hips to swing the punch forward; it's flawless technique.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you specified "at the moment". Julian obviously doesn't qualify for that, but I still wanted to drop his name since we're talkin power punchers. Dude is often forgotten.

there was a fair amount of hitters in Julian's day too. but man was he fantastic.

At some point, Tyrone Spong held fhe title of the hardest measured punch of all around the world, before Francis Ngannou broke his record and became the hardest puncher in the world.
This makes Spong (theoretically) the second hardest puncher of all time.

PFL just posted this finish of him on their socials, which inspired me to create this thread.
Wnat do you think?:

If you’re net impressed yet, you should definitely check out this knockout of Tyrone Spong where he absolutely Knocked the Life out of Michael Duut with one singe punch, immediately after getting dropped by Duut himself (you’re probably familiar with this finish though).
Honestly, this is one of the craziest rounds I’ve ever seen!

Do you think Tyrone Spong is among the hardest punchers of the world?

Thought this thread was gonna be about me :(:mad:

I dont rate these things at all. I dont think its really something that can be measured. Its a gimmick.
yeah means little or nothing to me compared to a fighters record of actually KOing people.

Last edited:
even Rumble?
He definitely was more technical than Rumble, their sparring was epic though Spong obviously had nothing for Rumbles pure physicality (which really nobody did). If I’m being honest though when Spong wanted to nobody had shit for him on the feet when he turned it on. He used to play with me in the striking like a lion would do with his food.

I won’t speak to the guys he sent to the shadow realm in the gym who tried to put it on him….but he had some big gym scalps that’s for sure. He is cool though he always just met you at the intensity that you gave him. Guy is a monster amongst monsters. I was sure that he was going to make big waves in MMA back in the days.

Barely could recognize him, looks like a mean black lion now LoL

What a tank

Not sure if he’s the 2nd hardest puncher of all time…but he was definitely the hardest puncher at the Blackzilians while I was there. He would decimate everyone in sparring.

<6>

He definitely was more technical than Rumble, their sparring was epic though Spong obviously had nothing for Rumbles pure physicality (which really nobody did). If I’m being honest though when Spong wanted to nobody had shit for him on the feet when he turned it on. He used to play with me in the striking like a lion would do with his food.

I won’t speak to the guys he sent to the shadow realm in the gym who tried to put it on him….but he had some big gym scalps that’s for sure. He is cool though he always just met you at the intensity that you gave him. Guy is a monster amongst monsters. I was sure that he was going to make big waves in MMA back in the days.
Damn, very cool insights bro.
Who used to get the better of each other when they turned it on on sparring?

This one has as much to do with Wellisch leading with his face as it does with Carwin's power. <{MingNope}>
But yeah, Carwin was a hitter, boy.. Big power.
I think Carwin had crazy bone density. He didnt have to throw it as hard as other people,he just had boulders for fists

100% this. Lining up and punching a stationary object is one thing. Hitting a moving opponent another. Even among big hitters, there’s arguments… for example, Rumble… fearsome power, yet Arlovski didn’t get KO’d, so was he fearsome just in his weight class? Carwin…great power, yet didn’t finish a turtled Brock? I do think Ngannou is legit in the discussion. Crazy power…but look at that fighting scared result vs Black Beast.

Reactions: HHJ
Back