Who here thinks ufc has a serious personal conduct problem with fighters?

I'd prefer mix and match for varieties and whatnot. Either way it will be boring if everyone is the same.

People are people.

Every company has an issue like these with their employees. I say harsher penalties and conduct clauses in contracts from here on out.

As far as Conduct between fighters on the roster the simple solution is if you shit talk another fighter, especially one not in your weight class, then that fighter can demand the aggressor is either forced to fight them or be released.

Ferguson talking shit to a HW and Colby doing the same is unacceptable. They would never do what they did in a dark alley with no one around to save them.

WME is thirsty to pay off the money they spent, the scarcity mentality plays a hand

These guys need to fight in a cage so UFC can make money off them, fighting for free outside is not good business

Newsflash half of the roster are weirdos/thugs

Is normal

We're not attracting lawyers and accountants over here are we

That ain't changing any time soon. MMA pools it talent from the lowest of the low. They can't get as much per capita quality talent, both in terms of legit athletisism and in terms of human quality until it pays better to incentivate better athletes to move towards it. Not just dudes that fail out at other sports, are ex cons, or just at the end of the line with nothing else to do in life to get anything out of it, so they give MMA a whirl.

Noise level. Fighters as a whole are decent ppls. Put any 600 people under a microscope issues will pop up with a few. Try 10 NFL teams for example way worse.

Yeah it’s almost like all these fighters who are acting out have CTE or something

I think for years we just assumed that people who got into hard hitting sports, be it football, or hockey, or fighting, were simply aggressive meatheads by nature.

The research is piling up though, and it's becoming harder and harder to deny that at least some percentage of these behaviours are a direct consequence of long time participation in these sports.

The latest football research is downright frightening. One study had 20% of guys who played high school only showing mild CTE. University players had CTE at a 90% rate, with about half of those cases being severe. NFL was 99% with CTE, and 85% of those cases being severe. If you play, you are at risk right from they very start. And the longer you play, the worse it gets.

Boxing and MMA have gotten a bit of a pass on CTE so far based, I would guess, on the fact that Pugilistic Dementia has been on the radar for a long time and people assume that it's already being addressed because the risks and precautions associated with the latter are the same as those associated with the former... but this isn't entirely true. Slurred speech, shuffling feet, and loss of memory and mental processing speeds are one thing. Personality transformations, violent mood swings, and dangerous and threatening bahaviours are quite another.

If anyone ever has the sense to move the discussion to pro wrestling, I'd be willing to bet that steal chairs to the head would quickly become a thing of the past, as well.

I know that a lot of people want to just dismiss the whole thing as some sort of mass hysteria brought on by a emasculated society. But this stuff has been hiding from us in plain sight for decades. And it's had literal life and death consequences.

Still a huge fight fan.

They seem to pick and choose when to have a "Code of Conduct".

Back