Who has the worse set of skills, Wilder or Hamed?

I think there was a lot of jubilance when Doentay was tripping over himself from counters, but that quickly gave way to resentment when Ortiz couldn't handle the power anymore.

I'm sort of a purist, so I'll admit I find Wilder to be ugly. But he's also an American with the touch of death; if I've been on the bandwagon this long I ain't gonna hop off now.
Oh he throws some hideous punches. Its just time for people to admit how dangerous they are. Especially now knowing he can take a hell of a beating in his own right.

Hamed did not have poor skills or fundamentals.

He had the Brendan Ingle style which he exaggerated to match his personality. For similar fighters from the same gym and system see Herol Graham, Johnny Nelson, Ryan Rhodes, Junior Witter and currently, Kell Brook.

Hamed failed when he got too cocky, stopped training properly, left Ingle's gym, let his family whisper on his ear and went up against a prime MAB.

There is a video that I can't find that I have seen on youtube that breaks Hamed down. He wasn't unskilled but unconventional to create traps and such to setup his shots. I don't think it would work for most but he was an exceptional athlete with tremendous power in both hands and an incredible chin. People forget that with his chin , defensively he was pretty good. He never got KO'd during his career.

Don't compare Wilder to Hamed, though. The only thing that they have in common is having ridiculous power. Hamed is awkward to other boxers and not wild. There is a very distict difference. Awkwardness is a benefit since it forces the other boxer to think. Being wild and throwing windmill punches is just stupid.

Hamed is a tougher cookie to figure out and when he lost it had more to do with him not training right than the other fighter. He still had a lot left in the tank when he retired and if you his fight with Barrera, the one he lost, he was losing but it wasn't like he was getting thrashed or was getting completely dominated. He could have gotten lucky in that fight but he wasn't in any danger of getting knocked out the whole fight.

Last edited:

Not a connoisseur of rap I presume.

1200px-Nas_July_2014_%28cropped%29.jpg

wilders persona is a cocky "dark themed" mayweather type of guy with fur coats and that stuff and many people doesnt like that at all and in the other side people like him for that.

but at the other side he brings life to heavyweight. a potential fight against AJ would be the first heavyweight fight after lewis/klitschko i would look for so badly.

2 young raptors in their prime without fighting a half retired man.

wilders persona is a cocky "dark themed" mayweather type of guy with fur coats and that stuff and many people doesnt like that at all and in the other side people like him for that.

but at the other side he brings life to heavyweight. a potential fight against AJ would be the first heavyweight fight after lewis/klitschko i would look for so badly.

2 young raptors in their prime without fighting a half retired man.

Same here. I just don't know how far he could go. He might be better when he is 40 years old than now in his physical prime. He is so rough and somehoe has managed.

Nas was the more skilled fighter, obviously, but Nas is a FW who belongs in the HoF.

It was still Ingle cornering Hamed in the Kelley fight and his skills looked really bad. He won because of his physical gifts and not from skills.

I am also starting to think that Hamed roided a lot when around this time. He was fighting 5 times a year when he fought Kelley and winning by KO. Granted a lot of thosee guys were likely guys brought in to be KO'd by him. Victor Conte (BALCO guy) did a tell all on Rogan's podcast about this issue.

Hamed did outgun him in that fight. Kelley had skills and showed what good timing and a good right could do. Hamed's exaggerated movements made him being hit look worse than it was.

At one point he kind of starts boxing with fundamentals that seemed to frustrate Kelley and open him up.

Not sure about him being on steroids. It wouldn't surprise me but I don't see it. I think he just had supreme confidence and that's why he near disappeared after his loss. I did read an article where he said he ate McDs a lot while in camp which seemed odd, but fitted well for him .

There is a video that I can't find that I have seen on youtube that breaks Hamed down. He wasn't unskilled but unconventional to create traps and such to setup his shots. I don't think it would work for most but he was an exceptional athlete with tremendous power in both hands and an incredible chin. People forget that with his chin , defensively he was pretty good. He never got KO'd during his career.

Don't compare Wilder to Hamed, though. The only thing that they have in common is having ridiculous power. Hamed is awkward to other boxers and not wild. There is a very distict difference. Awkwardness is a benefit since it forces the other boxer to think. Being wild and throwing windmill punches is just stupid.

Hamed is a tougher cookie to figure out and when he lost it had more to do with him not training right than the other fighter. He still had a lot left in the tank when he retired and if you his fight with Barrera, the one he lost, he was losing but it wasn't like he was getting thrashed or was getting completely dominated. He could have gotten lucky in that fight but he wasn't in any danger of getting knocked out the whole fight.

This is true. It's made out that he got totally schooled 120-108 in the MAB fight, but that was more public (and media maybe, he was annoying people at Sky) backlash and everyone revelled in his loss.

I'm sure you've seen it, but the documentary for that fight's build up is a must watch.

I enjoyed watching Hamed coming up and blasting his way through the ranks, but the fact is that he was a (flat track) bully, and when he met his first World class opponent he got schooled and then retired.

From the moment Barrera chinned him in the first round it was all over - he looked lost.

Gonna rewatch the fight now

I enjoyed watching Hamed coming up and blasting his way through the ranks, but the fact is that he was a (flat track) bully, and when he met his first World class opponent he got schooled and then retired.

From the moment Barrera chinned him in the first round it was all over - he looked lost.

Gonna rewatch the fight now

It is closer than it looks. I think he retired because his heart wasn't into boxing anymore and the climate got very ugly for muslims after 9/11. He was the most vocal muslim in boxing at the time and not very contempative or humble in addition. There likely were no more big paydays left.

It is closer than it looks. I think he retired because his heart wasn't into boxing anymore and the climate got very ugly for muslims after 9/11. He was the most vocal muslim in boxing at the time and not very contempative or humble in addition. There likely were no more big paydays left.

After 7 rounds I’ve given Hamed 1. Two if I wanted to be generous.

Not sure where you’re from, but I don’t remember there being any anti Muslim backlash in London after 9/11.

That said, his overt “ISLAM” message was pretty grating, as is any religious message in sports IMO.

You could say his heart wasn’t in it, but my take is that he just couldn’t stand losing (badly) and quit. Same thing I suppose.

After 7 rounds I’ve given Hamed 1. Two if I wanted to be generous.

Not sure where you’re from, but I don’t remember there being any anti Muslim backlash in London after 9/11.

That said, his overt “ISLAM” message was pretty grating, as is any religious message in sports IMO.

You could say his heart wasn’t in it, but my take is that he just couldn’t stand losing (badly) and quit. Same thing I suppose.

His ppv numbers would be bad without u.s. fans. He isn't a mexican and by some not 'truly' english. He doesn't pull from any national base. After 9/11 the environment was pretty bad here in the states.

His ppv numbers would be bad without u.s. fans. He isn't a mexican and by some not 'truly' english. He doesn't pull from any national base. After 9/11 the environment was pretty bad here in the states.

I scored it 117-110 with the (deserved) point off with one close round. Judges had it closer, but it was a schooling.

It’s a shame there’s no HW version of Barrera around these days. Great technician with a game plan and total focus.

Lol wtf. Hamed could box bruh. Don't confuse unorthodox with unskilled.

Back