Who has the worse set of skills, Wilder or Hamed?

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Both guys get away with a lot considering they have poor fundamentals/technique and KO power relative to their weight class.

Wilder in particular seems to have graduated Suma Cum Laude from the Luke Rockhold School of Sticking Your Chin Up After Throwing a Combination.

Hamed at least had really good footwork, and had unbelievably powerful punches relative to his weight class(es). It took less effort from him to drop his opponents than Wilder does.

Hamed had more skill imo.

Last edited:
Wilder, he’s dreadful in every way.

He nearly got beat by a 60 year old slow plodder last night.

Can we have less threads about this overhyped chump.

People are beginning to just sound like haters at this point. Ortiz was probably the most skilled active heavyweight, and Wilder took him into round 10 and knocked him out.

Sure, he's 6'7 and only 214 pounds, so he looks a bit out of control at times. But he is throwing sharp punches when he needs to, and he is finishing as effectively as anybody in the sport.

Last edited:
People are beginning to just sound like haters at this point. Ortiz was probably the most skilled active heavyweight, and Wilder took him into round 10 and knocked him out.

Sure, he's 6'7 and only 214 pounds, so he looks a bit out of control at times. But he is throwing sharp punches when he needs to, and he is finishing as effectively than anybody in the sport.

Not a hater, just observing. Had Ortiz been 5 years younger and had equal experience as he does now, this fight would have looked way different.

Being compared to Naz isn't that much of a criticism. Thriving on a somehow limited skillset is still an achievement. Now, these are 2 different stories. Wilder took on boxing late. In Naz's case I believe it was more of a stubborn attitude.

Last edited:
Not a hater, just observing. Had Ortiz been 5 years younger and had equal experience as he does now, this fight would have looked way different.

I was more referring to the post below yours.

But why are you now changing Wilder's opponent to a mythical version of himself in order to change the outcome? Ortiz was undefeated, and he was the best boxer in the heavyweight division. Beating him is a great achievement.

What if Ortiz was 5 years younger, and had equal experience as he does now...but Wilder was the same age as he is now, and started boxing 5 years earlier? How would those two make- believe fighters fare against each other? I think make-believe Deontay still knocks out make-believe Ortiz.

Hamed probably weighs close to 214 pounds these days - lets make the fight and find out.

I was more referring to the post below yours.

But why are you now changing Wilder's opponent to a mythical version of himself in order to change the outcome? Ortiz was undefeated, and he was the best boxer in the heavyweight division. Beating him is a great achievement.

What if Ortiz was 5 years younger, and had equal experience as he does now...but Wilder was the same age as he is now, and started boxing 5 years earlier? How would those two make- believe fighters fare against each other? I think fake Deontay still knocks out fake Ortiz.

Simple, because ideally Ortiz shouldn't be his age in fighting for his first shot at a major belt.

If my auntie had a pair of bollocks she'd be my uncle.

Hamed was far more skillful. All Wilder has is that right hand, Nas had a plethora of great shots and could bang with either hand. Defensively Nas made people look stupid with his great head movement. He got caught off balance on occasion but wasn't really shown up until he fought Barrera. Nas had great footwork too and bamboozled most of his opponents with it, Wilders footwork is nothing to write home about. And Nas showed a better chin too, Wilder looked close to being out of there last night where as Nas never looked ready to go.

The only thing Wilder matches up to Nas in is power and athleticism. Sure they are unorthodox but they fight very differently. Nas had a strategy behind his unorthodox switch hitting (another skill that Wilder doesn't possess) where as there is no strategy behind Wilder being unorthodox it's just because he isn't that good with his footwork.

Last edited:
Theres a lot of salty cans around here since Wilder won.

giphy.gif

Its been a long time since I've paid close attention to HW boxing. Watching recent fights for Joshua and Wilder, its hard for me to see Wilder having much of a chance if that fight comes together. No matter what the criticisms of Wilder, he is out there making millions doing what he loves, so good for him.

I'm trying to think of a way that Ortiz could go back 5 years and still have the same level of experience that doesn't involve a flux capacitor and weapons-grade plutonium, but I'm just a simple man.

Hamed did not have poor skills or fundamentals.

He had the Brendan Ingle style which he exaggerated to match his personality. For similar fighters from the same gym and system see Herol Graham, Johnny Nelson, Ryan Rhodes, Junior Witter and currently, Kell Brook.

Hamed failed when he got too cocky, stopped training properly, left Ingle's gym, let his family whisper on his ear and went up against a prime MAB.

giphy.gif
we can still be honest about his skills. the guy is goofy as hell. everyone at my place were laughing at his shitty punches.

giphy.gif

I think there was a lot of jubilance when Doentay was tripping over himself from counters, but that quickly gave way to resentment when Ortiz couldn't handle the power anymore.

I'm sort of a purist, so I'll admit I find Wilder to be ugly. But he's also an American with the touch of death; if I've been on the bandwagon this long I ain't gonna hop off now.

I'm trying to think of a way that Ortiz could go back 5 years and still have the same level of experience that doesn't involve a flux capacitor and weapons-grade plutonium, but I'm just a simple man.

Go back 10 years in time and try to get him on a boat from Cuba to the US. But instead og going back, just stay in the boat in the ocean and never return.

Its been a long time since I've paid close attention to HW boxing. Watching recent fights for Joshua and Wilder, its hard for me to see Wilder having much of a chance if that fight comes together. No matter what the criticisms of Wilder, he is out there making millions doing what he loves, so good for him.

I used to think it was an even matchup because despite Wilder's lack of skills, AJ only does a few things really well and had a handfed slew of opponents (I suspect). Now I think AJ would either KO Wilder or win a wide decision.

Hamed did not have poor skills or fundamentals.

He had the Brendan Ingle style which he exaggerated to match his personality. For similar fighters from the same gym and system see Herol Graham, Johnny Nelson, Ryan Rhodes, Junior Witter and currently, Kell Brook.

Hamed failed when he got too cocky, stopped training properly, left Ingle's gym, let his family whisper on his ear and went up against a prime MAB.

It was still Ingle cornering Hamed in the Kelley fight and his skills looked really bad. He won because of his physical gifts and not from skills.

I am also starting to think that Hamed roided a lot when around this time. He was fighting 5 times a year when he fought Kelley and winning by KO. Granted a lot of thosee guys were likely guys brought in to be KO'd by him. Victor Conte (BALCO guy) did a tell all on Rogan's podcast about this issue.

Last edited:
we can still be honest about his skills. the guy is goofy as hell. everyone at my place were laughing at his shitty punches.
Sure.

I bet Ortiz isnt laughing though.

Back