Who has been the false prophet of MMA who was thought to conquer and reign but did not profit?

BJ Penn won both the lightweight and welterweight title. Bad pick.
Yeah he did but...but i just never really got it, the hughes figths were weird.
More so than anything was the hype and all afterwards 'the legend comming back' i cant put the finger on it. Simply that bj was made out to be something he wasnt

Some good responses in here. Vera takes the cake here. He burst on to the seen knocking out HW's and looking like a real killer that could dominate the UFC. After his layoff, he never looked the same and had a terrible UFC career after that. After 4 stoppages in a row capped off with a TKO of Mir, I don't think he ever finished another fight in the UFC. Then there was Filho... who I think actually could have been one of the greatest. The guy was legitimately dangerous, but then he lost his mind. Terrel is a guy that was hyped up a lot and went into hiding after his first loss.

One thing is sure though TS, Houston Alexander was NEVER thought of as someone that was going to take the crown and hold it for a long time. He was just someone that burst onto the scene with some big, exciting wins and quickly fell off.

I really wanted Michael MacDonald to do better. I thought he was the second coming of Fedor.

Joe rogan himself is the false prophet. It seems like nearly every time he is commentating, he exaggerates the abilities of the fighters as if whatever fighter's nuts he is swinging from in that moment is a GOAT fighter.

Brandon Vera after destroying Frank Mir lulz

I also know the present-day false prophet in case you're interested. It's Khabib Nurmagomedov. You watch.

David Terrell, Goran Reljic, Karlos Vemola, Erick Silva.

Houston Alexander is for real.

mn2elh.gif

Josh Barnett - became the youngest UFC Heavyweight Champion ever at 24 years old, was stripped of the title for illegal PED use, and now 15 years later he has still never reclaimed The UFC Heavyweight Title

Mark Hunt - was supposed to have the hardest punch in all of MMA and was the king of the "walkaway knockout." He was initially a kick boxer and when he transferred over to MMA he showed an absolutely remarkable aptitude for the sport. In only his 3rd pro MMA fight he defeated Vanderlei Silva and then in his 4th pro MMA fight he defeated Mirko Cro-Cop! That was back in 2005. Now all this time later in 2017 he has still failed to ever have won the UFC Heavyweight Championship or the PRIDE Heavyweight Championship while he was working of that promotion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back