Who had a flukier title win, Serra or Topuria?

I think one of Volk's coaches was being delulu and unironically saying Topuria got lucky

Good morning Gents,

For just about 17 years now we've had an easy answer to the question: Who had the flukiest title win in UFC history?

The answer was Matt Serra vs GSP without question.

I believe hand sanitizer boy has just taken that title this past weekend from Serra and is now the flukiest champ after somehow defeating volk.

What do you guys think? is this now the biggest fluke title win of all time?

Discuss.

For someone who's been here as long as you this is a seriously retarded thread

Uhh look at the odds. Serra was a massive underdog with little to no chance. This fight was close to even.

#1 Serra over GSP: that's the 1 in 1,000 fight in MMA or boxing where a hard punch connects and KO's a much, much better opponent
#2 Bisping over Rockhold (who had soundly beaten Bisping earlier and fought with little regard or respect)

Topuria isn't even on the radar. He patiently hunted down Volk until he got his opportunity.

Honestly I don't consider either win to be fluky. Both landed with shots that were intended to inflict damage and both won. However, of the 2, I think I'd go with Serra over GSP since Topuria won the first round before his 2nd round finish.

Edit -- I was wrong and Topuria did not win the first round
Yeah, he didn't win the first and wasn't winning the 2nd either before the KO.

As for the topic, I agree neither was flukey. Serra is a tough fight for anyone, and Topuria is always a threat to finish. Volk and GSP both had to stick to a strict gameplan to win, and were always in danger if they strayed from it.

Imagine landing with a solid shot during a 6 punch combo or whatever it was and calling it a fluke.

cyborg was the only one windmillilng. nunes was countering. cyborg was not her typical self that night. after seeing her during weight cuts she did not look right. that was not her typical gameplane. she walked right into what nunes wanted to do. it was no fulke.

After rewatching the fight just now, I'll admit Nunes was picking her shots more than I remembered. (The leg kick to hook combination early on was especially nice.) That said, I wouldn't consider what she did "countering." To me, a counter is the deliberate action of avoiding a strike and hitting your opponent when they're out of position. To get the hit that put Cyborg down the first time (starting around 4:34 on the fight clock), Nunes was getting backed up and was just winging punches back at the same time as Cyborg was going after her. Then after that, it was her trademark "baseball pitch" hooks that start on the other side of the octagon and have no sense of timing or technique but a whole lot of power. Basically, the same thing Cyborg was doing to her, but actually landing with them.

There’s a lot of “fluky” wins out there man

Fluke Flockhold is probaby the Goat of flukes

Neither, they both threw hard ass punches and cracked their man on the chin, which was their entire MO.

Which one would happen less if they ran the fight through AI a million times? Probably Serra/GSP.

Both guys got it done when given their opportunity. But for perspective, people on this forum have been saying Topuria was going to be champion for years. I doubt very many people at all were saying Serra was the guy to dethrone GSP.

Good morning Gents,

For just about 17 years now we've had an easy answer to the question: Who had the flukiest title win in UFC history?

I believe hand sanitizer boy has just taken that title this past weekend from Serra and is now the flukiest champ after somehow defeating volk.

Discuss.
Out of curiosity, what's with the 'hand sanitizer boy' thing?

Good morning Gents,

Discuss.
Nah, man. Nothing fluky about Topuria winning. He was significantly faster and more powerful, and Volk was backing out with his hands low. I read that one within the first could exchanges, and I wanted volk to win as much as anybody.

Insane thread, most people had Topuria as a bad stylistic matchup. Serra pulled a horseshoe out his ass to magically have better striking than GSP, basically just caught him by surprise. Topuria was an undefeated prospect with KOs and great wrestling while Volk was just recently KO'd and is at an older age.

Probably been said, but this has to be Paddy's burner account for sure.

Back