Who had a flukier title win, Serra or Topuria?

AmericanMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Good morning Gents,

For just about 17 years now we've had an easy answer to the question: Who had the flukiest title win in UFC history?

The answer was Matt Serra vs GSP without question.

I believe hand sanitizer boy has just taken that title this past weekend from Serra and is now the flukiest champ after somehow defeating volk.

What do you guys think? is this now the biggest fluke title win of all time?

Discuss.

Honestly I don't consider either win to be fluky. Both landed with shots that were intended to inflict damage and both won. However, of the 2, I think I'd go with Serra over GSP since Topuria won the first round before his 2nd round finish.

Edit -- I was wrong and Topuria did not win the first round

Last edited:
Ilia was consistently hitting Volk with better timed and more effective shots. It wasn't just the shot that put him out. The only effective thing Volk was landing was the jab which was damaging his nose but otherwise it was obvious the fight was only going one way from pretty early on.

Wait what?
A Fluke?

...Volk lost..so it must be a fluke...!
...lol

Anyone who saw Ilia fight and going up in the ranks...should have known Volk is in trouble.

...probably too busy about all the goat talks for Volk

Good morning Gents,

For just about 17 years now we've had an easy answer to the question: Who had the flukiest title win in UFC history?

I believe hand sanitizer boy has just taken that title this past weekend from Serra and is now the flukiest champ after somehow defeating volk.

Discuss.
Did you not see the prediction. 15 roses for 15 victims. That's not a fluke that's inevitable.

Hand sanitizer boy is not an insult. Jesus washed feet remember? Implying that someone is like Jesus is a rather high compliment.

Honestly I don't consider either win to be fluky. Both landed with shots that were intended to inflict damage and both won. However, of the 2, I think I'd go with Serra over GSP since Topuria won the first round before his 2nd round finish.
I believe both are flukey as fuck.

Ilia was consistently hitting Volk with better timed and more effective shots. It wasn't just the shot that put him out. The only effective thing Volk was landing was the jab which was damaging his nose but otherwise it was obvious the fight was only going one way from pretty early on.

"Somehow defeating Volk"

Dude beat the fuck out of Volk, and will keep the belt for a while... Theres nobody out there to challenge imo.

Idk what fight you guys were watching??? Volk won the first round. Look at the scorecards from all three judges. All had it 10-9 VOLK. NOT ONE JUDGE GAVE IT TO TOPURIA! You guys are nuts to act like hand sanitizer boy was dominating that fight before the fluke. Classic Sherdog

Matt Serra did okay in the UFC
I agree, which makes his win less of a fluke imo

At the time Serra beat GSP, I considered it a fluke. Over time, I've reconsidered that position.

GSP came into the fight overconfident, and underprepared. Unlike his performance in the second fight, he showed no desire to actually take Serra down, and was content to trade with Serra.

Serra plain and simple outstruck him. Serra didn't win by landing just 1 lucky punch. Serra outlanded GSP in multiple exchanges, and GSP showed poor decision making in continuing to strike with him.

Is GSP the better fighter? Absolutely. But Serra didn't win because of luck. He won because he was better prepared that night, and fought the better fight.

Good morning Gents,

Discuss.
I can't fathom reading a worse take on this site today. That's a high bar you just hit.

Back