Who else learnt something today about title fights and weight

the only surprise was that neither diaz nor anyone else on his team apparently knew it even though his brother recently fought in a title fight and gracie's been a manager/trainer for years - i guess they don't teach reading or math in stockton

i assumed the rule was common knowledge for most fans not to mention fighters

Not just Nick, but Gil and Jake have also been Strikeforce champs and Dave Terrell fought for the UFC MW belt. They've never missed weight. How no one knew this is beyond me.

I always knew that. It has been interesting to see some posters not know. I saw someone with a 2007 join date say they didnt know.

I saw a 2005 say something to the same effect or possibly calling people stupid for thinking Diaz missed. I felt like this rule has been a given for anyone above the casual level... my roommate only knows MMA at all through events he's watched with me in the past year and he knew the rule -__-

I had no idea.

I was trying to think of occasions where I have seen a champion/challenger come in 1 pound over...

i learned that it seems a surprising number of people here didn't know you had to be on weight or under for a title fight.

If you didn't know the rule, you haven't been paying attention.

Definitely did not know about the absence of the 1lb allowance for title fights. It seems quite silly, given that the purpose of have 1lb allowance for general weigh-ins is because the scale may be not calibrated precisely from place to place, to account for the offset error. How does the scale suddenly become more accurate for a title fight weigh-in? Makes no sense.

Definitely did not know about the absence of the 1lb allowance for title fights. It seems quite silly, given that the purpose of have 1lb allowance for general weigh-ins is because the scale may be not calibrated precisely from place to place, to account for the offset error. How does the scale suddenly become more accurate for a title fight weigh-in? Makes no sense.
Good points.

I did know that but I'm unsure why people are quoting "learnt" in quotations when it's a perfectly acceptable word.

Stupid people that shouldn't be here because they have nothing to offer a serious discussion learned something.

thats just wrong. Have a look at what actually happens before you strawman... If what you think happens then you'd be right. You are wrong.

Didn't know it, the only time I recall someone actually not making weight for a title fight was Lutter, and he was more than a pound over.

It's been a solid decade of watching MMA now, and I never had a clue.

I guess some people don't remember Joe Riggs, Travis Lutter, or Paolo Filho.

Back