Who else learnt something today about title fights and weight

Carl25

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
As well as quite a few others here, did not know the 1 pound leeway wasn't in affect for Title fights.

Who else

Yeah I didn't know either. It is very interesting to me that only in title fights it is like that.

I "learnt" that BJ got the biggest ovation at the weigh-ins even if his fight was not the main event or co-main event.

I always knew that. It has been interesting to see some posters not know. I saw someone with a 2007 join date say they didnt know.

I did know that you have to be exactly on weight for title fights. (and would expect any title contender to know)

What I did not know was that this also applies to catch weight fights. (Thanks to Joe Lauzon for that tidbit)

I learnt that a lot of users don't know about that rule.

I've always known. This isn't a rare occurrence either. Off the top of my head I can think of a few times this has happened and the most recent I can think of being Tim Kennedy and Luke Rockhold. Rockhold came in at 185.5 and had to reweigh an hour later.

I didn't know that either. I don't even think Nate knew it...he looked shocked Dana was telling him to drop another fraction of a pound.

Did people really not know about this? Sheesh, well at least people are just Sherdog posters, and not, say a fight manager.

I've been watching since 2005ish, and never knew. I thought there was always the one pound leeway.

the only surprise was that neither diaz nor anyone else on his team apparently knew it even though his brother recently fought in a title fight and gracie's been a manager/trainer for years - i guess they don't teach reading or math in stockton

i assumed the rule was common knowledge for most fans not to mention fighters

I "learnt" that BJ got the biggest ovation at the weigh-ins even if his fight was not the main event or co-main event.

lol another thread hijacked... Yes many people like BJ- he's one of the most popular fighters in the business. Want to take a more overt stab at Rory or GSP?

TS I also did not know this.

I knew about this rule, I was wondering why they werent saying anything about Nate needing to lose the .6 lbs during the weigh-ins.

I learned that I'm surprised how many posters on Sherdog didn't know this

If you've ever watched a title fight at all you should know that as they tell that to you every time.

lol another thread hijacked... Yes many people like BJ- he's one of the most popular fighters in the business. Want to take a more overt stab at Rory or GSP?

TS I also did not know this.

Sheesh, you guys are so overly sensitive about your Canadian heroes. I didn't intend to take a stab at rory or GSP, I honestly just wanted to use the word "learnt". Lol.

Btw, I don't take stabs, I take jabs. You're favorite fighter does it, why can't I? :icon_chee

Last edited:
Guilty. And personally I'm not sure I see why the rule should be different.

Back