Who do you tip? Who do you not tip?

Anyone who does not make minimum wage, because the cost of your service is what it is because of what they pay their staff.

For those who don't tip in sit down food establishments, don't frequent restaurants. Someone will eventually mess with your food.

i tip and always have. though i do have to say that i am seeing a lot more places with tip-jars than i used to before. the only occupations that i tip are waiter/waitresses, busboys, cabs, and really can't think of anything else. i do agree that it can be confusing, especially for tourists.

by the way, whether people like it or not, when you tip generously, you generally receive warmer receptions and better service if you go frequently and tip well. this has always been a, "you scratch my back, and i'll scratch yours" mentality. there is something to be said and should taken into consideration when you realize that these jobs require people to be extra generous in order to make your eating experience enjoyable. that is just as important as the food, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I absolutely tip (my barber, waiter/waitress).

Something I can't stand though is when people just expect a tip. If you give me mediocre or crap service I'll definitely leave a crap tip. They need to realize I don't "have " to tip them. I hate when they feel automatically entitled to it.

Back