Who do you consider a better striker: Conor or Overeem?

S

sudokick

Both good strikers no doubt. My vote goes to conor. The guy can hang with floyd in there and probably even be competitive. I don't see overeem hanging in there with Deontay Wilder or the likes in a boxing fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see overeem hanging in there with Deontay Wilder or the likes.
In boxing or kickboxing rules? Overeem likely destroys Wilder in kickboxing.

That said Conor is probably the better MMA striker P4P since he doesn't keep getting KOed by random top 10 guys, Overeem is obviously much better "empirically" ie. not P4P.

Conor has better hands and chin.

Overeem has better kicks, knees and clinch game.

And Overeem beat Badr Hari!!!

So you think Conor, with no pro boxing experience, can hang with one of the best boxers of all time , but Overeem, who is a kickboxing champion cant hang with a wild brawler like Wilder? Got it.

This isn't a real question right??

Conor by a country mile.

Overeem has way more tools than Conor but Conor uses well what he has. Long left straight and right uppercut.

Overeem has a lot more but his chin is always the biggest factor.

I must add that Conor is probably the best at using distance

I'm going with the guy who knocked out Badr Hari.

TmcwtbOE4AzxK8XDvyhHjAglKwBdPXFTjkbv2_Na2xI.gif

Reem has a wider arsenal.
He just takes too many big shots to the chin.

It's a toss up. I'd lean towards Conor because Overeem is inconsistent. But Overeem has more diverse striking attack, and all HW's get KO'd a lot. Real tough to compare such a different size of fighter.

Conor would knock out Badr Hari too if they comission would let him take that fight! No one at any weight can absorb shots from the left hand!

- am i doing this right?

In boxing or kickboxing rules? Overeem likely destroys Wilder in kickboxing.

That said Conor is probably the better MMA striker P4P since he doesn't keep getting KOed by random top 10 guys, Overeem is obviously much better "empirically" ie. not P4P.
cmon man, overeem is +250 at heavyweight fighting really big boys where all it takes is one jab to end a fight..

cmon man, overeem is +250 at heavyweight fighting really big boys where all it takes is one jab to end a fight..
Yeah but Junior or Stipe for example haven't gotten KOed as much as Overeem even just in the UFC, Overeem's defense is pretty shaky.

Is this a joke? If you say mctap you should give up on combat sports and start watching fucking jersey shore.

Overeem is a FAR more experienced, technical & dangerous striker with far more tools and it's not even close

Conor has horrid defense and gets hit all the fucking time, he just has a good chin so nobody cares.

pretty much comparing apples with oranges imo

But gonna answer anyway...

Overeem is a more accomplished striker
K1 champ , Dream mma , Strikeforce belt... All at the same time....
His knees are deadly, he is a very experienced striker, probably the most experienced fighter in the heavy weight division in the UFC imo.
Conor is flashy, very fast and very accurate. He is very good, but I think Overeem has more tools & tricks and (used?) to be a very intelligent fighter imo. Overeem is a far better fighter than Conor imo.

So it comes down to:
More experience
More tricks & tools in his arsenal
Very powerfull
Experience against best of the world
VS
very fast and accurate striker who is a bit too big for his division, and frankly has little experience and did not fight the same level of competition.

Take your pick.

Yeah but Junior or Stipe for example haven't gotten KOed as much as Overeem even just in the UFC, Overeem's defense is pretty shaky.
His fight iq is hit and miss sometimes but keep in mind he has been fighting since the late 90s and he has been very active in K1 too... And he made k1 ban knees in the Muay Thai plum clinch...

Overeem is worlds more accomplished when it comes to combat sports as a whole. But as we all know, professional experience in a singular martial art doesn't necessarily translate perfectly over to MMA. In kickboxing, Overeem had gloves to hide behind, therefore his chin issues weren't as obvious. In terms of MMA striking, all things considered, I would say they are even.
Overeem would most definitely been higher had he ever been considered or beaten one of the best strikers in his division. For example if he beat prime Cro-Cop or Fedor, or even Cormier. Or beaten Jon Jones when people wanted to see that fight. The best of the best have always illuded him for whatever reason. And his striking has never gotten him a belt in the UFC unfortuantely. Even though it probably would have had he been in the UFC instead of Strikeforce.

Overeem has fought and beat some of the most accomplished strikers in the world and is a K-1 champion.

Conor has talked his way into a big money boxing fight where he will get schooled. That doesn't mean he's a championship caliber striker.

Back