Who can Tony Ferguson realistically beat at this point of his career at LW?

I met a boxer from the Massachusetts area while playing poker in Conn and CTE is real. He knew the damage was done. He was a helluva cool dude though

You just gotta put your life and longevity first.
0-7 in his last 7 fights, and he is 40, he is finished, he needs to call it a day now. It won't end well if he keeps fighting, we've seen this story hundreds of times before in MMA and box

Is Michael Johnson bad enough yet that Tony could beat him in a rematch?

He's 40 years old next month and lost 7 in a row.

Nevada should be absolutely ashamed they licensed him for this fight with Paddy.

The UFC will finally cut him loose, but they are just as culpable.

I'd probably pick all of those guys over Tony. A shot Guida is still managing to occasionally pick up wins or at least look competitive against decent guys. Plus he is one of the few guys who can match Tony's cardio/pace while smothering him on the ground: something Tony seems incapable of stopping these days.
Guida's cardio is pretty bad nowadays. Go look at Guida's past 5-10 fights. He doesn't really try to take people down if they have a ground game. Guida becomes an odd limited striker. I am not sure if Tony is still dangerous off his back though. Tony's grappling game has diminished a lot.

Marc Madsen?

Guida's cardio is pretty bad nowadays. Go look at Guida's past 5-10 fights. He doesn't really try to take people down if they have a ground game. Guida becomes an odd limited striker. I am not sure if Tony is still dangerous off his back though. Tony's grappling game has diminished a lot.

His cardio isn't as legendary as it was in his prime, but it's still better than a lot of guys in the division and I think it's good enough to hang with Tony in a three-rounder. It's certainly not "bad" IMO -- we're not really seeing him gas out in the middle of fights. And the last time he refused to take someone down was against Madsen; Clay in general has zero qualms against shooting on grapplers. He shot on Puelles (to his doom), shot seven times on Leo Santos who is legendary for his BJJ, etc.

But yes, as you say, Ferguson's bottom game is basically nonexistent these days. He doesn't really have any get-ups, subs, or sweeps. He just hangs out there and absorbs GnP (or occasionally gets submitted) while throwing elbows off his back. If a gassed Pimblett could take Tony down and hold him down, I think Clay could do the same for 15 minutes while mixing in just enough attacks from top in the form of ground strikes and sub attempts to keep the ref/judges happy.

I also believe that Clay's awkward herky-herky striking might help him so long as he didn't eat a knee or something coming in; he sometimes has a surprising amount of pop in his shots and even stung Silva once or twice.

It's time for Tony vs Clay Guida. Veteran vs Veteran. Tomato can vs Tomato Can. (but) Big name vs Big name (as far as UFC fans go)
Was about to say, if they insist on keeping him, this is one of the few matchups that makes sense.

I don’t want to watch him fight again and I felt the same way after his fight against Green. He is donezo

I think Tony should transition into doing submission grappling events and compete there. He still has the urge to fight and I believe thats a way he can compete and maybe make some money. It's definitely time for him to have a step down in competition. Best of luck to him in whatever else he decides to do.

Maybe BJ Penn, Diego Sanchez or Sean Sherk if they can be talked into coming back for a final UFC fight. Maybe.

I don't think there's a single guy at 155 he could beat. His only chance would be like a 135 guy moving up two divisions or something. And even then I think he gets pieced up or taken down.

Could he beat Jon Dodson at this point, who's tiny and also shot/not in UFC. I'm not sure!

He has to take some time off, and he needs a proper fight camp, a coach who is going to be 100% real with him, problem is, i don't think he wants to hear it. With USADA gone, there is a small chance that hopping on some gear will produce some results, give him a better chin again, and that fighting spirit. It has happened before. However, at LW, I don't think there is anyone realistically that he can beat. Paddy was supposed to be it. David Goggins did not help either. He needs a fight camp, he needs to spar, he needs to train, but he should only do that if he's pumped full of steroids. Otherwise it is absolutely over.

He has to take some time off, and he needs a proper fight camp, a coach who is going to be 100% real with him, problem is, i don't think he wants to hear it. With USADA gone, there is a small chance that hopping on some gear will produce some results, give him a better chin again, and that fighting spirit. It has happened before. However, at LW, I don't think there is anyone realistically that he can beat. Paddy was supposed to be it. David Goggins did not help either. He needs a fight camp, he needs to spar, he needs to train, but he should only do that if he's pumped full of steroids. Otherwise it is absolutely over.

Although, we have seen shot fighters that were supposedly on gear and they looked like dirt. I think Tony is so far gone that even a regimen of super roids, growth hormones, etc. wouldn't help at all. In fact, he might look worse as putting a Ferrari engine in a shot Geo Metro would make the car fall apart.

Back