Who are your favorite Collage wrestlers?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Only who train folkstyle.

I literally only watch freestyle and international tournaments (as it is where all of the best wrestling happens).

However, I realize that I have never really watched folkstyle that often; I have watched Isiah Martinez wrestle a few times, and some highlights from flow wrestling.

Who should I watch?

Sanderson
Kolat
Ironside
Schultz
Gable
Hodge
Koll
Uetake

and whoever else Holt says

GIS "collage wrestler".

Collage-of-wrestlers.jpg

Cael Sanderson
Mark Schultz
Dave Schultz
Ben Askren
Max Askren
Logan Steiber
John Trenge (Never won a NCAA title but he had Sanderson in his weight class) excellent technique.
Ricco Chipperelli
Melvin Douglas

Ones to watch right now currently competing or relatively recently, that have only done folkstyle or regional/domestic freestyle

Something different to the standard names everyone else gives, focusing on very good wrestlers with different things to watch and learn from not just the most accomplished

Nathan Tomasello: Very good lefty high crotch, and left handed single, goes hard 7 minutes but very technical, wears people down by constantely executing, not by just pulling on the head

Bo Nickal: Very Europeanish style, very good upper body and with overhooks

Zain Retherford: Freak on top, world champ Stieber's only loss in his lasjt two years of college

Logan Stieber: He did very unique things on top in folkstyle, his freestyle approach and strategy is actually quite a bit different

Isiah Martinez: Iranian style underhooks with freak power and athleticism

Jason Nolf: Good overtie, snaps, and footsweeps

David Taylor: Good ankle picks

Gregor Gillespie: Absolute freak on top, and freak athlete, hit a really unique misdirection shot, strong staggered left leg lead shot that transitioned to a sweep on the other size the way people said Yutake did back in the day

Dean Heil: He is the best scrambler in college and the best wrestler in the toughest weight in folkstyle, has a very good John Smith style high-c/duck

Mitchell Port: Just.. really good, just stuck behind Maple and Stieber

A.J. Schopp: really really good on top

Gabe Dean: Very strong, good position, and very technical right handed single

J Jaggers: Very very unique style and movement, could cradle from literally anywhere, was my hero in high school lol

those are some good ones to watch where they were both very good and did things unique or in different ways/approaches that can be studied, I could add more

Artem,

If you want to see a European style wrestler who competed in Folkstyle, look for Bekzod Abdurachmanov. He is from Uzbekistan he wrestled for Clarion, he beat Jordan Boroughs in the last Olympics, he won Bronze.

Kyle dake
Logan stieber
Nico megaludis
Nashon garrett
David Taylor
Ed ruth
Brent metcalf

jason welch...only because I knew him in high school

Normally I would go homer here and say Mikey Racciato but my alum is a mess right now.

Program has always been a complete anomaly.

Here is my wrestling collage:

square1.jpg

when you say european style what do you mean by that? more straight up kind of greco style? sorry if thats a stupid question, ive never wrestled other than getting ready for bjj/mma matches

i do watch a lot though thanks to the big ten network, and to throw my 2 cents in i like imar since hes doing big things and hes local, zain and snyder who run through people in college, pretty much all the penn st team, i like caels style

Mario Gonzalez (Illini)
Colton Rasche (Air Force academy)

Used to coach them both when they were little kids

What is difference between folk and freestyle?
Just basically the rules. In folkstyle you get riding time (riding the parterre position) and escape points too. In some competitions slams (typically 4/5 point slams) are frowned upon. You get an escape point. Winning scrambles is key as folkstyle has a bigger advantage in the ground work, rather than standing takedowns.

Freestyle just gives you 2 for getting behind your opponent on the ground, no riding time, no escape points, big techniques are appreciated. There is a bigger emphasis on takedowns.

In freestyle you can win by a technical fall if there is a 10 point difference between you and your opponent. In folkstyle, this is a 15 point margin.

I can't think of any other big changes...

Well also the protective head gear is used in folkstyle, not freestyle.

when you say european style what do you mean by that? more straight up kind of greco style? sorry if thats a stupid question, ive never wrestled other than getting ready for bjj/mma matches

i do watch a lot though thanks to the big ten network, and to throw my 2 cents in i like imar since hes doing big things and hes local, zain and snyder who run through people in college, pretty much all the penn st team, i like caels style

European style of wrestling is more upright and they rely more on control ties (like the Russian 2 on 1), European wrestlers do occasionally shoot to their knees, but much less often than American Wrestlers. Many of their Doubles, singles, and High crotches are done without bringing the knee to the mat. There is also more Upper Body wrestling. I am not saying one style is better than the other but there are distinctive differences.

logan massa is amazing to watch, i havent seen the imar match but so far every one ive caught on the big ten network have been great, constantly attacking off a snapdown and headlock

I admire wrestling as brown belt in BJJ, but I dont have much of knowledge about its rules... In a freestyle or folkstyle match, can a competitor submit the other like BJJ or Judo?

Back