Media Who are the top 5 best MW fighters of all time?

And your list would be?...it wasnt easy to decide..so im curious who your picks are

Besides Silva and Israel, I dont have a close list. There are a number of guys you could list below and have a legit case, as Whittaker, Romero, Jacare, Rockhold, Weidman, Mousasi or Henderson.

If Franklin or Busta had a greater legacy or influence in the sport is another story. They could certainly have a case from such standoint, but talking about fighting ability, they obviously didnt reach the level of the aforementioned.

Besides Silva and Israel, I dont have a close list. There are a number of guys you could list below and have a legit case, as Whittaker, Romero, Jacare, Rockhold, Weidman, Mousasi or Henderson.

If Franklin or Busta had a greater legacy or influence in the sport is another story. They could certainly have a case from such standoint, but talking about fighting ability, they obviously didnt reach the level of the aforementioned.

Okay so u pick apart my list but you cant even make one yourself? Or a better one? ..

We agree on the top 2... So why is mine so crazy lol..

Strange take bro ..

Strange seeing barely any mention of Franklin. He's technically the 4th champion with the most title defenses besides Izzy, Weidman, and Silva. 22-1 before he ran into Silva, probably would've reigned much longer if not. During Silva's reign he was the #2 MW of all time like people talked about Whittaker to Izzy. Also Weidman should be on more lists.

1. Silva
2. Izzy
3. Weidman
4. Franklin
5. Whittaker

Anderson, Adesanya, Moussasi, Franklin, Whitakker.

Are we talking in terms of skill or in terms of accomplishments?

1. Silva
2. Izzy
3. Weedman
4. Whittaker
5. Bisping

Anderson
Izzy
Whittaker
Wand
Hendo

I feel some middleweights fighting at other weights could make the list in modern standards but it is what it is..

Okay so u pick apart my list but you cant even make one yourself? Or a better one? ..

We agree on the top 2... So why is mine so crazy lol..

Strange take bro ..

It was very easy to understand.
Just take the names I listed and order them in that exact order if you are such a nerd that you need a closed list.

The point was very clear. And you obviously didnt watch Franklin/Busta if you think they have a case above the guys listed in terms of fighting ability

Anderson
GSP because he's undefeated at MW and the undisputed, undefeated champion in UFC at MW
Jake Shields undefeated at MW, undefeated undisputed MW champion of SF with wins over Hendo and Lawler
nobody else matters after that

for never winning a title at any weight anywhere, he's the WW GOAT?
Well, yeah.. look who he beat at lt heavy and HW.<BC1>

Strange seeing barely any mention of Franklin. He's technically the 4th champion with the most title defenses besides Izzy, Weidman, and Silva. 22-1 before he ran into Silva, probably would've reigned much longer if not. During Silva's reign he was the #2 MW of all time like people talked about Whittaker to Izzy. Also Weidman should be on more lists.

1. Silva
2. Izzy
3. Weidman
4. Franklin
5. Whittaker

Franklin was not even close #2 as Whittaker is. Actually his best wins at MW are Tanner and Okami by close dec. Very different than the list of top5ers and tittle contenders Whittaker beat.

You swallowed too much UFC marketing to believe that, back when UFC was not the premier org and actually had Busta vacating their belt and Quarry and Loiseau, who weren event top5, barely top10 ranked worldwide, defending such belt.

Franklin was not even close #2 as Whittaker is. Actually his best wins at MW are Tanner and Okami by close dec. Very different than the list of top5ers and tittle contenders Whittaker beat.

You swallowed too much UFC marketing to believe that, back when UFC was not the premier org and actually had Busta vacating their belt and Quarry and Loiseau, who weren event top5, barely top10 ranked worldwide, defending such belt.
I'm saying what I read here on sherdog, how people talked about Franklin. He was on a decent streak and only lost to Machida who people knew he was good outside of UFC. It's just weird to dismiss his wins over fighters in his era but then say all the good guys are in modern eras. I personally don't give a shit, but it's strange to list all these other guys above him.

I'm saying what I read here on sherdog, how people talked about Franklin. He was on a decent streak and only lost to Machida who people knew he was good outside of UFC. It's just weird to dismiss his wins over fighters in his era but then say all the good guys are in modern eras. I personally don't give a shit, but it's strange to list all these other guys above him.

It's so easy for people to dismiss stuff that happened in the past. If Fedor didn't have that stat of having wins over like 6 former UFC champs he'd probably be shit on all the time. Hell there's already enough people dismissing him entirely.

It was very easy to understand.
Just take the names I listed and order them in that exact order if you are such a nerd that you need a closed list.

The point was very clear. And you obviously didnt watch Franklin/Busta if you think they have a case above the guys listed in terms of fighting ability
I'm not sure if Busta is top 5 all time, but he was absolutely one of the most skilled. He went 45 minutes with Tom Erikson, something that very few middleweights would be able to do.

I would probably rank them like this:

1. Anderson Silva
2. Dan Henderson
3. Israel Adesanya
4. Robert Whittaker
5. Yoel Romero

I also think Mousasi, Machida, Jacare and Sakuraba are right there with those guys. Of course, Machida and Saku were busy fighting the best fighters in the world at 205 but they were just as skilled as anyone.

TS really should have specified if he meant 'best' as in best resume or best fighter in their prime.

Simultaneous belt holder in Pride, not the UFC.
The first in the UFC should be BJ Penn, but the records won't show that because they wouldn't allow it back in the day.

See its a gem people often overlook

It was definitely in UFC .. and he was the first one actually

If you can't put Izzy in your top 5 you are nothing but a sad delusional hater.
Keep hating OP.

Last edited:
In no particular order for me

Anderson Silva
Israel Adesanya
Robert Whittaker
Frank Shamrock
Gegard Mousasi

Back