Who are the hardest punchers ever? P4P and at heavyweight? Top 3!

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Judging by what Ali, Holy field, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, and other high profile trainers commentators and boxers say the top 3 hardest hitters ever are:

1) Earnie Shavers
2) Ron Lyle
3) George Foreman

Everyone that fought both Foreman and Shavers said Shavers hit hardest, everyone that fought Lyle and Foreman said Lyle hit harder, everyone that fought Shavers and Lyle said shavers hit hardest.

Holyfield said that an old Foreman even hit harder than everyone he faced which includes Bowe, Tyson and Lennox Lewis.

So while thats not conclusive evidence it seems to be the strongest evidence is in favor of this order and not one boxer that talked about his experience has a differing opinion on it they all agree and had teh same experience.

P4P is more tricky.

My Guess is

1) Julian Jackson - few dispute him as number 1 p4p

2) Hearns - comes up often in the p4p discussion

3) Gerald McClellan - someone who banged out as many people in the 1st round as Tyson

But my p4p guess is probably wrong because theres so little evidence to decide apon unlike with the heavies

Please guess what you think the top 3 are rather than randomly mentioning the names of great punchers

many many guys could be in the discussion at HW my list might be:
1. Shavers
2. Foreman
3. Louis

but there are lots of guys at that weight who had the gift of the punch and didn't have enough of everything else. Sonny Liston, Cleveland Williams who they say hit as hard as Liston, Tyson of course, Lewis, Dempsey was legendary with the damage he did with his hands to the point where it's still hard to believe he didn't use plaster in his title win. Many marginal talents with a huge punch, Razor Ruddock, Tim Witherspoon, Frank Bruno.

All time all weight my faves are:
1. Shavers
2. Edwin Rosario
3. Alexis Arguello

again, many guys had the big punch but not enough everything else. some champs and some not, the special thing about sugar ray robinson was he had the big punch and everything else too, that's what still makes him the best ever.

If you're going all time you honestly think p4p Rosario hit harder than the hitman?

many many guys could be in the discussion at HW my list might be:
1. Shavers
2. Foreman
3. Louis

but there are lots of guys at that weight who had the gift of the punch and didn't have enough of everything else. Sonny Liston, Cleveland Williams who they say hit as hard as Liston, Tyson of course, Lewis, Dempsey was legendary with the damage he did with his hands to the point where it's still hard to believe he didn't use plaster in his title win. Many marginal talents with a huge punch, Razor Ruddock, Tim Witherspoon, Frank Bruno.

All time all weight my faves are:
1. Shavers
2. Edwin Rosario
3. Alexis Arguello

again, many guys had the big punch but not enough everything else. some champs and some not, the special thing about sugar ray robinson was he had the big punch and everything else too, that's what still makes him the best ever.

You put Louis below Foreman but Ali and many others said Lyle hit harder than Foreman, how do you account for Louis replacing Lyle and yet he was put below Foreman?

You put Louis below Foreman but Ali and many others said Lyle hit harder than Foreman, how do you account for Louis replacing Lyle and yet he was put below Foreman?
i don't think lyle hit harder than foreman. I really don't. Also, there are different types of punchers, some are explosive like a tyson, a louis or a frazier and others are clubbing like foreman, hagler and chavez, both are spectacular to watch.

If you're going all time you honestly think p4p Rosario hit harder than the hitman?
rosario is really forgotten about, and maybe i'm just nostalgic but I've always thought he was pfp as good or better than anyone, when he hit opponents, it looked like they were hit by heavyweights, I've never seen anyone that little do that, including the hitman. It's just a shame that the drugs ruined him. Tommy's up there too, no doubt about it. Gerald Mcclellan another, many, many fighters had great power. Archie Moore is usually on everybody's list but i've, oddly, never watched a lot of his stuff.

a list of just 3 guarantees people who are about as good will be left out.

a list of just 3 guarantees people who are about as good will be left out.
That's a fair point and we all have biases. I'd have shavers hearns and someone else. I probably rank arguello above Rosario but these lists are flimsy at best, it's just opinion at the end of the day apart from I wouldn't want any of those dudes in their prime punching me in the face.

also, roy jones at middleweight was lethal, he's the only guy I can think of who affected opponents the same way rosario did. Edwin would throw out something that looked like nothing and the guy would just fly to the canvas, he easily stopped edwin viruet who Duran had troubles with. Camacho had a truly great chin, one of the few champs never, ever stopped and rosario really put some stuff on him.

Another who hit hardest thread ?
Same predictable responses and cat fights ?

<{ByeHomer}>

Another who hit hardest thread ?
Same predictable responses and cat fights ?

<{ByeHomer}>
I don't know what planet you live on, but please hijack actual discussion threads for no reason. You clearly know more than us wise one.

Moz, hamed put people to sleep out of nowhere but he doesn't get mentioned in lists like this because he got dropped a lot.

i don't think lyle hit harder than foreman. I really don't. Also, there are different types of punchers, some are explosive like a tyson, a louis or a frazier and others are clubbing like foreman, hagler and chavez, both are spectacular to watch.

He used to hit so hard his game plan in every fight was to get up close so he was safe from their punches but they wernt safe from his because he is one of the few people that could knock you out easily with punches that didnt reach full extension. But that obviously took the edge off his punches which is probably why his highlights are not as impressive as foremans, but the fact that was his tactic in every fight and the things ALL this fighters said tells me he probably did hit harder than foreman

Hw? Shavers, foreman Louis

P4P ever shavers , Jackson and Gerald although I'm sure there are many more. I've never seen stories of punching power like the ones you hear about earnie

duh:

giphy.gif

Back