Who Are Fans Here Of The TV Show Dallas 1978-1991

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Dallas had the best run if any Tv drama ever. In its peak years was consistently the highest Neilsen rated show. J.R. Ewing was an icon! The episode where the viewers found out he shot him both set and still holds the record Neilsen rating for an episode of a one hour drama show.

Fantastic theme song.

Would be cool if a fighter from TX uses the Dallas theme song as their walk-out song.

Never did watch it. I did catch an episode or two of the recent remake on USA. It was okay.

I dunno, probably some middle aged women. Are you lost?

I dunno, probably some middle aged women. Are you lost?

LOL

That's funny, but all kinds of people watched Dallas. Prime-time soaps attracted a much wider audience than daytime soaps, as you probably know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched it sporadically when I was a kid.

LOL

That's funny, but all kinds of people watched Dallas. Prime-time soaps attracted a much wide audience than daytime soaps, as you probably know.
Yeah I'm just fuckin around. Primetime soaps used to be family viewing back in the day.

Yeah I'm just fuckin around. Primetime soaps used to be family viewing back in the day.

I wonder what happened to the prime-time soap. Seems they just disappeared despite being insanely popular for a while.

I wonder what happened to the prime-time soap. Seems they just disappeared despite being insanely popular for a while.

Same thing that happened to the milkman. Got obsolete. Everyone gathering around the tv at night is becoming a thing of the past now.

Same thing that happened to the milkman. Got obsolete. Everyone gathering around the tv at night is becoming a thing of the past now.

That argument doesn't address prime-time soaps specifically though. I mean, there are still plenty of TV shows on every night.

If it was that just no one was watching TV anymore then that would also affect your shows like NCIS and This Is Us and Big Bang Theory and so on.

Two things have to happen for the return of the prime -time soap. Someone needs to come up with a good story and cast good actors for those specific roles. Second, a TV network has to gove them an opportunity.

Also Dallas averaged 26 or 27 episodes a season. That's Dallas 1978-1991. Today shows get 10 or maybe 15 episodes. A prime time soap needs at least 20 episodes a season; it's in the nature of the format.

I don't consider the Dallas reboot from in 2011 to be Dallas. It was Dallas in name only. The show runner had a very limited knowledge of Dallas (she admitted to only watching about 25% of the episodes) ands had her own agenda - to turn Dallas into something it was never intended to be. Her name is Cynthia Cidre. She was also involved in the Don Johnson show Blood and Oil which was cancelled after one season.

That argument doesn't address prime-time soaps specifically though. I mean, there are still plenty of TV shows on every night.

If it was that just no one was watching TV anymore then that would also affect your shows like NCIS and This Is Us and Big Bang Theory and so on.
They fell out of style. They most likely relied on an overlap of demographics that imo doesn't exist for that type of show anymore.

They fell out of style. They most likely relied on an overlap of demographics that imo doesn't exist for that type of show anymore.

They didn't fall out of style. They were the most watched dramas of the late 70s and 80s. Dallas ran 14 seasons. It's hard to keep thinking of good storylines for a show with over 300 episodes, almost no shows have managed to do that and they're all crime shows. The networks simply failed to even try to develop new prime time family sagas that fell into the prime time soap format after Dallas need in 1991. If you can't name any shows that were similar in format and quality to Dallas and failed in the 1990s or 21st century, how can you say that type of show fell out of style?

They didn't fall out of style. They were the most watched dramas of the late 70s and 80s. Dallas ran 14 seasons. It's hard to keep thinking of good storylines for a show with over 300 episodes, almost no shows have managed to do that and they're all crime shows. The networks simply failed to even try to develop new prime time family sagas that fell into the prime time soap format after Dallas need in 1991. If you can't name any shows that were similar in format and quality to Dallas and failed in the 1990s or 21st century, how can you say that type of show fell out of style?

Well the fact that you're referencing the 80's is a hint. Tastes change over time, and tv has changed drastically since then. Melrose Place, Desperate Housewives, even stuff like Nip/Tuck would be examples of modern twists on the primetime soap format. I'm sure there are other contemporary examples too, but I don't really follow the genre as much as an adult. I'd say part of it is shows are a bit more polarized now.

A guy that wants some drama and story mixed in with action would probably watch something like GOT, TWD, Vikings, SOA, Spartacus, Rome, etc. A lot of drama targeted towards women has switched to Reality TV, bullshit like the kardashians, teen mom, the real housewives etc. I'd say there are less gender neutral primetime dramas than before.

Two things have to happen for the return of the prime -time soap. Someone needs to come up with a good story and cast good actors for those specific roles. Second, a TV network has to gove them an opportunity.

Also Dallas averaged 26 or 27 episodes a season. That's Dallas 1978-1991. Today shows get 10 or maybe 15 episodes. A prime time soap needs at least 20 episodes a season; it's in the nature of the format.

10 to 15 episodes is more common for cable. Network TV shows still often get a great many episodes. A few examples:

This Is Us: 18 episodes
NCIS: most seasons have 24 episodes
Elementary: last season had 24 episodes
The Good Wife: last season had 22 episodes

I could go on. So you need to separate cable from network television. ABC, NBC and CBS are still producing shows with a shitload of eps per season.

I don't consider the Dallas reboot from in 2011 to be Dallas. It was Dallas in name only. The show runner had a very limited knowledge of Dallas (she admitted to only watching about 25% of the episodes) ands had her own agenda - to turn Dallas into something it was never intended to be. Her name is Cynthia Cidre. She was also involved in the Don Johnson show Blood and Oil which was cancelled after one season.

Interesting. I only watched an episode or two. Like I said, it seemed okay but it obviously wasn't something I stuck with. Having never seen the original show I can't compare the two.

Well the fact that you're referencing the 80's is a hint. Tastes change over time, and tv has changed drastically since then. Melrose Place, Desperate Housewives, even stuff like Nip/Tuck would be examples of modern twists on the primetime soap format. I'm sure there are other contemporary examples too, but I don't really follow the genre as much as an adult. I'd say part of it is shows are a bit more polarized now.

A guy that wants some drama and story mixed in with action would probably watch something like GOT, TWD, Vikings, SOA, Spartacus, Rome, etc. A lot of drama targeted towards women has switched to Reality TV, bullshit like the kardashians, teen mom, the real housewives etc. I'd say there are less gender neutral primetime dramas than before.

It seems to me that most shows are genre fare today, instead of straight dramas. Just looking at CBS, Dallas's home back in the day:

You got all your detective shit: Criminal Minds, Blue Bloods, NCIS, CSI, Scorpion, Hawaii 5-0

And some political shit: The Good Wife, Madam Secretary

Comedy: Big Bang Theory, The Odd Couple

Reality shows: Survivor

Some superhero shit: Supergirl

News shows: 60 Minutes, 48 Hours

And that's about it. Frankly, to me, that looks like an absolutely dreadful line-up. Other than perhaps The Good Wife I have no interest in any of that.

F*ckin-A, brother. Real bad-azzes like us watched Dallas religiously every Friday Night. I was more of a Falcon Crest man, myself.
That Victoria Principal though...
th

FF-Victoria-Principal_14.jpg

The milkman, the paperboy...evening tv. That was Full House, brother.

As a prime alpha sherdoggers,who's 6'5'...245 and 5% bf.... bencheese teh 275 and bangs nothing but 10's.... I'm hoping to come out of the shower and be told this thread is a dream.

Of course I watched it,it was difficult not to in the UK,as we only had 3 channels <45>

It was a huge show back then.

F*ckin-A, brother. Real bad-azzes like us watched Dallas religiously every Friday Night. I was more of a Falcon Crest man, myself.
That Victoria Principal though...
th

FF-Victoria-Principal_14.jpg
<{jackyeah}>

Hot as fuck,like many of the leading ladies on TV at the time,and all without plastic and the need to try too hard,like so many do today.

Back