Which sifu/kru/coach would you like to learn from?

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This is probably the wrong forum to ask, however I'm curious to found out who would you like to learn from. It can be anyone from the present or from the past. Me personally, I would like to learn from Bruce Lee, Wong Fei Hong, Cus D' Amato, and Yodtong Senanan.

Probably not what you'd expect to hear in this sub, but I'd love to spend time with Jerry Rice. Is he a fighter? No. But, that's a man who is the definition of work ethic. I might not be able to gain as much from him as I'd like, but learning and understanding perspectives around more than just fighting itself seems to me like it could have a lot of value to it. I'm really interested in why and how people think they way they do, and of all people that's one dude whose head I'd love to get inside.

As far as actual fighters or trainers go, not sure specifically about which Thai trainers I'd want to learn from- realistically, any good trainer will have more than enough to keep me learning for years. I know I'd love to be able to spar, play with and learn from any great technical fighter for sure though.

Padwork with Duke Roufus.

Mitswork with any top boxing coach.

Technical sparring with Jose aldo.

Sagat Petchyindee, he'll show me how to do the tiger uppercut which will really help round out my punches (my uppercut is pretty useless right now).
But seriously, Sagat. He was one of the the guys that taught Firas Zahabi a lot of what he knows and I've seen the video where he's teaching Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu various techniques, the man is legit.

Matt Hume
Duane Ludwig
Rafael Cordeiro
Roger Mayweather/Floyd Sr.

Matt Hume

My man.

In my opinion the best grappling coach in the MMA game right now (grappling wrt to success in MMA that is).

People like talking about Josh being the big example of cacc in the cage, and to make no mistake he's one of my favorite fighters to watch, but really, Mighty Mouse lowkey is The Guy, showing off his premier catch wrestling every time he steps on the canvass.

AMC Pankration super underrated camp; only ATT comes close in institutional skill on the ground imo.

Pernell Whittaker or sinister for boxing

ludwig or malapiet for kickboxing

Lu boa chun or some other prominent baji guy for kung fu

Morio higaonna for karate

It's literally impossible - but Eddie Futch for boxing. Although if I had to go with a living coach I'd say Anatoly Lomachenko.

Muay Thai - Dieselnoi and Kru Dam from Sitmonchai. Dieselnoi I think would be great because I'm a knee fighter and I think he'd teach me the best - Kru Dam because by god my general striking technique needs tightening.

MMA it'd have to be Firas Zahabi, it's a pretty popular opinion round here, for good reason. I think Greg Jackson is a great coach but there's something about the way he speaks to people that I get the feeling I wouldn't like. Zahabi seems like a chilled dude and has some of the best technical knowledge out there.

Eddie Futch/ George Benton/ Hiawatha gray/ BIll Miller/ Hector Echavarria/ and Archie Moores coach i would be interested in studying "the Lock"
Living, Sin is the coach i want, i spent a little bit of time training with him and it was mind bowing the amount knowledge and craft he puts into his coaching.

Muay Thai Apidet
Kyokushin Hajime Kazumi

Pernell Whittaker or sinister for boxing

ludwig or malapiet for kickboxing

Lu boa chun or some other prominent baji guy for kung fu

Morio higaonna for karate
sounds great although i'd imagine there are better guys to learn muay thai/kickboxing from than ludwig or malapiet. Do you practice kung fu yourself? I trained with a bagua guy and he was great.

MMA it'd have to be Firas Zahabi, it's a pretty popular opinion round here

TriStar is a good camp; they can turn an okay fighter into a good fighter, and they can turn a great fighter into a good fighter.

Last edited:
sounds great although i'd imagine there are better guys to learn muay thai/kickboxing from than ludwig or malapiet. Do you practice kung fu yourself? I trained with a bagua guy and he was great.

I haven't trained with Ludwig directly but I'm currently with one of his students and I've enjoyed the Bang system so far. With malapiet ive always been impressed with his depth of understand with clinch fighting. That's the most appealing aspect for MT to me.

I've dabbled in a little bit of Hung Gar in the past but i shied away from Chinese Arts because of how watered down they are. Baji Quan has always been an interest however because of its simplicity and lack of flowery movements. Its just strait to the point and brutal.

I've dabbled in a little bit of Hung Gar in the past but i shied away from Chinese Arts because of how watered down they are. Baji Quan has always been an interest however because of its simplicity and lack of flowery movements. Its just strait to the point and brutal.
a friend of mine trains with a eagle claw from jing wu. its quite different then what i was introduced to as far as kung fu training in the states. there is a lot of partner drills, and instead of longer forms there are mostly short forms with each move then being drilled for a specific application.
Kung fu is very interesting but like you said finding the ideal teacher/ coach or right environment is the hardest part.

For MMA I'd have to pick Firas. His Youtube videos show that he really understands the ins and outs of techniques and can explain them succinctly. Ludwig and Hume seem like excellent coaches, but they might have difficult personalities that might not mesh well with me.
Mike Brown/ATT seem to be good at taking anyone and making them better.

Masahiko Kimura and Mas Oyama...it would be the honor of a lifetime.

Striking: Firas Zahabi, Brandon Gibson (I think Gibson is really the brains behind striking at Jackson's), Namsaknoi, Dieselnoi (dose knees doe), Manny Steward were he still alive

Grappling: Cary Kolat, Ricardo Liborio, John Smith, John Danaher, Jimmy Pedro, Matt Hume, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov

Back