Movies Which Movies do you think are massively overrated?

I loved Shawshank because the characters King created came alive on the screen. The movie took you through a rollercoaster of ups and downs, where the downs were crazy downs and the ups were just a tiny thing that made you feel human for a brief time. Which is what incarceration truly is. The friendship was done in such a organic loving way. The last shot was one of the greatest of all time.
It's a love story for straight men.

Also it's big shining sign of hypocrisy to the people who love morgan freeman's character.

I watched Heat recently for the first time.

I enjoyed it - don't get me wrong - I liked it for what it was.

But Pacino was corny as fuck in it.. for folks to claim it is one of the best cop-crime movies of all time is hilarious to me.

It was good - but not GOOD as in best ever, good as in cheesy af enjoyable.
I feel like Thief is probably more deserving of the extreme praise Heat gets, you've got as good set pieces but Caan's protagonist manages to be badass but rather more subtle than Pacinos "great ass!" performance.

It's a love story for straight men.

Also it's big shining sign of hypocrisy to the people who love morgan freeman's character.
Why is that? Didn't everyone love the man Red became? He found redemption through human interaction.

Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan

The whole era of self important "big" Hollywood dramas of the mid 90's.
Braveheart is super overrated. I tried watching it for the first time in 20 years a little while ago. It was boring as fuck.

Saving Private Ryan just pales in comparison to Band of Brothers once you’ve seen that. Plus, it’s a bit corny anyway.

Godfather II was a boring drag, never finished it.

Cabin in the Woods was hailed as some new horror paradigm, no it wasn't, it was just lazy.

Black Panther went beyond my threshold to maintain suspension of disbelief with that stupid spear scene at the top of the mountain or waterfall or whatever, turned it off after that.

Three that come to mind are Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart. Shocked to see them well represented here.

All are 7/10s for me.

Recent one was The Whale and Brendan Fraser’s performance. Laughably bad.

Is this a "How to Create a Contrarian" bait thread?

I'm seeing some bullshit answers.

American History X is nothing but a 2 hour long boring series of obvious cliches. Norton's strong performance doesn't save it from being a plodding pile of shit.

Why is that? Didn't everyone love the man Red became? He found redemption through human interaction.
Don't you hate it when movies race swap characters. Another ginger turned into a black dude.

I've never heard anyone claim Red from Shawshank was miscasted. Morgan Freeman having knocked it out of the park, is one of the few things we can all agree on.
Hence why I'm calling them hypocrites.

Either recasting a redhead to a black person is okay or it isn't. You can't pick and choose.

I've never heard anyone claim Red from Shawshank was miscasted. Morgan Freeman having knocked it out of the park, is one of the few things we can all agree on.

Speaking of Stephen King movies, Killian from The Running Man was black in the book.

War movies specialy if they are fake ones. Bastards comes to mind

Back