Where does Roy Jones rank?

sun, it's almost not even a matter of who, it's a matter of honor, how could i take roy and put him over someone i've seen damn near die trying to win like Alexis Arguello? How can I? You could say "it's not a moral question,pfp". and you have a point but i can't do it man. When you've seen a guy dig down like that, take those kinds of shots, go past his limits, even when he's in hopeless fight, how you gonna take a guy who's slapped a bunch of fringe contenders around ahead of him, it's just wrong.
I understand what you’re saying here and I’m the last person round here who is a Roy pimp. Just wanted your opinion was all.

I get people talking shit about Toney's consistency, but the fight wasnt even close. RJJ made him look like a fringe contender. Same as everyone else he faced during his great run. That says something. Fucking Toney.

Everyone who was a real threat avoided Roy because they didn't want to look like guys like the other HL reel victims.

I get people talking shit about Toney's consistency, but the fight wasnt even close. RJJ made him look like a fringe contender. Same as everyone else he faced during his great run. That says something. Fucking Toney.

Everyone who was a real threat avoided Roy because they didn't want to look like guys like the other HL reel victims.

Toney had a terrible camp. I don't think any version of Toney wins that fight but it could have been closer.

I understand what you’re saying here and I’m the last person round here who is a Roy pimp. Just wanted your opinion was all.
and often i don't know what to do with roy or tyson, clearly they were head and shoulders above a lot of other fighters we think of as world class or great but i don't really know how to rank them. At least mike proved he had a chin, roy fought a lot of no hopers. the griffith fight might be his biggest win because he was actually even with him when the first fight got stopped and was having all sorts of problems with him, and he came back and wiped him out. I think he thought he could pull that off with tarver too and that was a mistake. I still don't get how he hadn't gotten caught like that sooner, even in sparring. Even Ali was kayoed in sparring as a kid, you'd think someone would have gotten to roy, he wasn't that elusive, no more elusive than whitaker, or other fighters i've seen. Like i say, i don't know what to do with either one. Maybe it's good Camacho didn't achieve more than he did because he'd be another who had comparable talent and should have glided past a lot of guys in his era, maybe it's good that he fell short because no one goes crazy ranking him.

Toney had a terrible camp. I don't think any version of Toney wins that fight but it could have been closer.
I'm not going to shit on Roy's win over Toney for this very reason. It's one of those that just seem abundantly clear that Roy set himself apart from the likes of Toney and Hopkins in his prime, and set himself 3 levels apart from someone like a Reggie Johnson so is by all accords a decent fighter.

handspeed wise, toney could have competed with roy, it was his feet that would have made it a hard fight for him, he fought like his feet were stuck in cement, great handspeed, average footspeed.

handspeed wise, toney could have competed with roy, it was his feet that would have made it a hard fight for him, he fought like his feet were stuck in cement, great handspeed, average footspeed.
Toney had to be in position and planted to get the same fight ending connects that Roy could get in any position or moment in the fight. Heads and tails above.

Toney had to be in position and planted to get the same fight ending connects that Roy could get in any position or moment in the fight. Heads and tails above.
ya, that would hurt him every time with roy, his feet weren't particularly slow but he was used to really sitting down when he threw those fast combos.

he did manage to hurt roy a little bit sometime in the middle of the fight, it was about his only moment in the whole fight though.

tbf thats always been present in toney's style. its one of the reasons mike was able to give outmaneuver Toney in their first two fights.

for thread i agree with @mazfunky i think a lot of the older guys would have given Roy hell. look at Jones fight with mike, mike was up in the first half and the commentators were squeaking about how it was the first time they had seen roy have to fight behind a jab. mikes pressure and his footwork really stymied jones when it came to hime jumping at angles and unloading with shots.i think a smart pressure fighter with that could keep a solid gameplay together would give roy some serious problems. especially if the boxer would stay cool it would really keep roy from walking them into his more powerful punches (i.e. sosa).

would put robin the 50-60 range of a top 100 guys including all the boxers ever etc.. but for boxers who have reliable clean footage of id would say he is top 30.

wow, interesting statement, coming from a guy like that who showed so much heart anytime his feet were put to the fire. I don't think toney was as much to worry about, a guy who showed up talking about burger king all the time, come on, he could look unimpressive at any time and did.

Eubank had heart but as a fighter he seemed far more aware of the dangers of the sport than most; even before the Watson fight, which completely changed him as a fighter. He was quite controversial in all honesty, always banging on about boxing being a savage, dangerous sport. that statement doesn’t really surprise me.

I agree that he’d have given Jones a hell of a fight though, especially before the Watson fight

Eubank had heart but as a fighter he seemed far more aware of the dangers of the sport than most; even before the Watson fight, which completely changed him as a fighter. He was quite controversial in all honesty, always banging on about boxing being a savage, dangerous sport. that statement doesn’t really surprise me.

I agree that he’d have given Jones a hell of a fight though, especially before the Watson fight
ya, but that's where we can get into existentialism, you have fighters who brag about how tough they are and they aren't then you have a guy who says he hates the sport and yet he proves that he has some respect for it because he did show heart, existentialism is; it's not what you say, it's what you do.

Prime RJJ really had no weakness. Was the best Super Middleweight ever IMO. P4p - You got SRR, Ali, Mayweather, Louis, RJJ IMO in top 5 no real order

Back