Where does Roy Jones rank?

So, after Jones is knocked out and the wife in question is being ploughed, is Roy watching, or is Holyfield watching himself? Are both in the same room? I'm a little murky on the "he" part. Also, if you don't have a wife, can you substitute some form of house pet?

Edit to answer OP: Roy beat Toney and Hopkins when they were in their physical primes. He did it pretty cleanly. That's pretty damn impressive. He's easily in top 10.

No argument regarding Toney (any issue he had with his weight for that fight is on Toney and no one else), but Hopkins was still pretty green when he fought Jones. He was perhaps in his physical prime, but he got a fair bit better. Still, with the way their styles clashed, it would be hard to ever see Hopkins winning that matchup.

Very highly, he is like Prime Tyson, but with more longevity. Spanked Toney, crushed Hill's ribs in 4, made child's play out of seasoned pros, blanked McCallum on 3 cards, took a heavyweight's belt from him. His resume hurts him a little bit, but his highlight reel sets the record straight. Guess you can't put him as high on paper as he deserves, but he wouldn't stop fighting.

Prime Tyson and Jones put themselves so far ahead of the game they became mythical.

No argument regarding Toney (any issue he had with his weight for that fight is on Toney and no one else), but Hopkins was still pretty green when he fought Jones. He was perhaps in his physical prime, but he got a fair bit better. Still, with the way their styles clashed, it would be hard to ever see Hopkins winning that matchup.
I agree, Hopkins was never going to beat that version of RJJ, the results of that particular matchup was never going to budge until father time took enough out of Jones. By the time that came, everyone was beating him. Bhop almost beat the same version of Calzaghe RJJ lost to, and did beat Tarver who RJJ lost to as well, when they were relevant. Doesn't make me think for a second Roy doesn't annihilate all of them in his heyday.

So, after Jones is knocked out and the wife in question is being ploughed, is Roy watching, or is Holyfield watching himself? Are both in the same room? I'm a little murky on the "he" part. Also, if you don't have a wife, can you substitute some form of house pet?

Edit to answer OP: Roy beat Toney and Hopkins when they were in their physical primes. He did it pretty cleanly. That's pretty damn impressive. He's easily in top 10.

I’m a little murky on the autocorrect part that changes genders after I type but ok. Unfortunately I have no house pets. I have a weird looking googly eyed frog doorstop if that helps.

Roy is an atg, anyone who questions that haven’t seen his prime and are watching him from Jeff lacy onwards.

I’m a little murky on the autocorrect part that changes genders after I type but ok. Unfortunately I have no house pets. I have a weird looking googly eyed frog doorstop if that helps.

Roy is an atg, anyone who questions that haven’t seen his prime and are watching him from Jeff lacy onwards.

It just might, if Holyfield is around (if your rumours are true).

Roy's legit; I agree.

he didn't adapt as well to losing his reflexes as ali did, but in is prime he was dawn near untouchable. rarely have i ever seen anybody capitalise on openings as quickly as jones did.

Thats kind of my take on RJJ. He was a once in a lifetime fighter in his prime but he seriously lacks high quality opponents for that time frame compared to other all time greats.

And I wouldnt be so sure about Hagler being defeated by him. Could be but I see that fight at least 50/50 and tend to Hagler. Thats not a shot against RJJ. I admire what RJJ does nowadays. Putting in the time to help young boxers, organising boxing galas...etc.
It is strange how Roy put on a clinic against the Kingpin of the division in Toney, yet didn't fight the others. I know Eubank didn't want to fight him, calling it suicide.

I don't know what Roy's (or theirs) excuses were. It seemed with regards to the Michaelczewski fight, both of them dragged their feet too much and wasn't eager enough.

It is strange how Roy put on a clinic against the Kingpin of the division in Toney, yet didn't fight the others. I know Eubank didn't want to fight him, calling it suicide.

I don't know what Roy's (or theirs) excuses were. It seemed with regards to the Michaelczewski fight, both of them dragged their feet too much and wasn't eager enough.
eubank called it suicide? i think it would have been a great fight, eubank had a chin and heart, in fact, i always said, it was the brits of the era who would have had a chance to beat him, why they didn't? everybody too busy trying to protect their shit.

I tend to agree with the real oldheads on this and rate RJ in the lower half of the top 100 and consider that as generous. When you've seen the fights I have, the warriors I have and to think that they'd never land a single shot on roy and would cower like most of his opponents did is ridiculous. James Toney was his biggest win but do you remember James Toney actually got his ass handed to him a few years before by a clubfighter names James Tiberi? Toney had a habit of showing up out of shape and completely unfocussed, probably one of the worst for that era at that level. Hopkins? I don't know, I never watched a ton of Hopkins but he didn't impress me in the Jones fight, he fought conservative too.

I tend to agree with the real oldheads on this and rate RJ in the lower half of the top 100 and consider that as generous. When you've seen the fights I have, the warriors I have and to think that they'd never land a single shot on roy and would cower like most of his opponents did is ridiculous. James Toney was his biggest win but do you remember James Toney actually got his ass handed to him a few years before by a clubfighter names James Tiberi? Toney had a habit of showing up out of shape and completely unfocussed, probably one of the worst for that era at that level. Hopkins? I don't know, I never watched a ton of Hopkins but he didn't impress me in the Jones fight, he fought conservative too.
Ok, I respect your opinion, name 49 fighters that edge him out of top 50?

Ok, I respect your opinion, name 49 fighters that edge him out of top 50?
sun, it's almost not even a matter of who, it's a matter of honor, how could i take roy and put him over someone i've seen damn near die trying to win like Alexis Arguello? How can I? You could say "it's not a moral question,pfp". and you have a point but i can't do it man. When you've seen a guy dig down like that, take those kinds of shots, go past his limits, even when he's in hopeless fight, how you gonna take a guy who's slapped a bunch of fringe contenders around ahead of him, it's just wrong.

eubank called it suicide? i think it would have been a great fight, eubank had a chin and heart, in fact, i always said, it was the brits of the era who would have had a chance to beat him, why they didn't? everybody too busy trying to protect their shit.
"He said "Yeah". I said "You know what, if that fight would had ever happened - we both would have been hurt. Because I would have had to go to war with you to win. Can't beat guys like this. I mean, in his time - all respect to Joe - in his time, you know - it's suicide. Same with Toney - suicide. And I was never focused that way. For me, it was never about being the best. I was happy being one of the best. That was my truth. Why would I want to fight a man like Roy Jones in his prime"?

"He said "Yeah". I said "You know what, if that fight would had ever happened - we both would have been hurt. Because I would have had to go to war with you to win. Can't beat guys like this. I mean, in his time - all respect to Joe - in his time, you know - it's suicide. Same with Toney - suicide. And I was never focused that way. For me, it was never about being the best. I was happy being one of the best. That was my truth. Why would I want to fight a man like Roy Jones in his prime"?
wow, interesting statement, coming from a guy like that who showed so much heart anytime his feet were put to the fire. I don't think toney was as much to worry about, a guy who showed up talking about burger king all the time, come on, he could look unimpressive at any time and did.

Probably the most talented fighter I’ve ever seen. It’s too bad he never really financially maxed out his talent. I know he wanted to do it on his own but if he had a al haymon type of guy he could of made Floyd money.

i don't even think he's the most talented, hector camacho and mike tyson amongst others probably eclipse him. tyson had speed, power and great defense too, macho didn't have the power roy did but he was faster and way more technical. you see, even those guys, and all the rest, as good as they were, got tagged sometimes, i have a hard time not thinking what would have happened had roy gotten tagged like he did against tarver when he was 20, instead of 35. would we even be having this conversation? tyson and camacho and most great fighters even great defensive fighters have gotten tagged hard many times, tyson and camacho had been hit hard before they ever won titles and both of those cats were hard to hit.

anyway, i think a lot of guys in the top one hundred would do more than stop punching when roy would open up, they'd open up with him and sometimes they'd catch his ass. You think Carmen Basilio is going to get stop fighting if he gets cut or knocked down? Hell no.

Every day there is 5 times between fights can we not start new threads about Tyson, jones, Ali, Floyd, pac or stupid shit we’ve already gone over forever. Prime for prime there are obviously people from middleweight upwards who would be a difficult evening for him.

Ignoring the bullshit since he lost to joe cal, if you can find someone who I’d favour more than half the time against him from mw or smw, I can throw names out but Hagler and hearns probably have a chance beyond that if you can land clean bombs like Jackson you’ll also be in the fight. Lhw, cruiser or hw, there are plenty of names. Real deal knocks him out and fucks your wife while he watches. Heavyweight, you know the names I’ll list and unless you have klitschko by buttseks in there you don’t know what you’re watching.

Ok lets change it up...where do you rank prince hamed all time?

Back