Where does Floyd Mayweather Jr. rank on your list of greatest fighters ever?

Floyd's ATG rank?

• 2-5

• 6-10

• 11-20

• 20 <

Results are only viewable after voting.

Baal

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me, #9

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Harry Greb
4. Sam Langford
5. Henry Armstrong
6. Joe Louis
7. Roberto Durán
8. Willie Pep
9. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
10. Ezzard Charles

For me, #9

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Harry Greb
4. Sam Langford
5. Henry Armstrong
6. Joe Louis
7. Roberto Durán
8. Willie Pep
9. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
10. Ezzard Charles

Ali has no business being ranked that high. There are a few other heavyweights that had much more dominant careers. Ali is remembered for wars but he should not have been in those wars in the first place if he knew how to box. Joe Louis was 10x the boxer Ali ever was.

Ali has no business being ranked that high. There are a few other heavyweights that had much more dominant careers. Ali is remembered for wars but he should not have been in those wars in the first place if he knew how to box. Joe Louis was 10x the boxer Ali ever was.
Louis didn't face the competition Ali did, and was knocked out at the peak of his powers. It's also well-known that Schemling took a dive in their rematch, otherwise Joe could be 0-2 to the same guy, in his prime.

11-15 - I understand the argument for him being top 10 but he is lacking that signature win against another all time great in their prime to be in my top 10.

Louis didn't face the competition Ali did, and was knocked out at the peak of his powers. It's also well-known that Schemling took a dive in their rematch, otherwise Joe could be 0-2 to the same guy, in his prime.

Louis boxed during the golden era of boxing.

Not TBE in my on my list.

Probably somewhere in the 6-10 range.

I was with you on that being a high ranking for Ali but then you had to steam in with an insane statement like 'if Ali knew how to box' - I mean ffs nonsense stuff

Anyway greatness is quite a subjective concept, its not the same really as saying who had the most pure boxing ability or fought the best competition but rather seems to involve some combination of those things alongside overall impact on the sport and even the world beyond it.

If you're taking into account impact that goes beyond the sport of boxing then Ali is untouched at no 1 because he's probably up there with the most revered and recognised athletes of all time in any sport.

That said in my personal top 10 of all time I'd probably put Floyd in the top 5 - loses greatness points with me for ducking Pacman in his prime for so many years but basically he fought everyone who was anyone in his weight class and era and was never really put in danger.

Low top 10. He achieved more than lots of fighters routinely ranked over him.

As much as I dislike the guy leaving him out of the top 10 is hard to justify.

Top 5 I would say.

Don't like that guy, but respect to his boxing skills and resume.

Louis literally broke Schmeling in half, I've never heard anyone say that he took a dive. The only argument I've heard is that the blow which crippled Schmeling may have been borderline illegal (but that was partly caused by Schmeling's awkward sideways stance).

My belief is that Ali in his prime was without a doubt the greatest heavyweight of all time. But missing out on his physical peak because of the Vietnam War bullshit hurt him. I love Joe Frazier but he's not beating a Muhammed Ali that has kept fighting and kept in shape. The man was a phenom. His timing and reflexes were always off after being away from boxing, and he didn't have the stamina to keep moving for 15 rounds.

Not the golden era of heavyweights, unlike Ali.

I think that the HW era of the 70s is overrated and is the result of televised boxing matches. I am not going to say that Ali, Joe Louis, Norton, and Foreman weren't legit but you are in a different media age.

I was with you on that being a high ranking for Ali but then you had to steam in with an insane statement like 'if Ali knew how to box' - I mean ffs nonsense stuff

Anyway greatness is quite a subjective concept, its not the same really as saying who had the most pure boxing ability or fought the best competition but rather seems to involve some combination of those things alongside overall impact on the sport and even the world beyond it.

If you're taking into account impact that goes beyond the sport of boxing then Ali is untouched at no 1 because he's probably up there with the most revered and recognised athletes of all time in any sport.

That said in my personal top 10 of all time I'd probably put Floyd in the top 5 - loses greatness points with me for ducking Pacman in his prime for so many years but basically he fought everyone who was anyone in his weight class and era and was never really put in danger.

Ali was a poor boxer that relied on his chin and athletism to get by. No one studies Ali's tape as to how to box because he breaks too many rules and makes the same mistakes over and over and over.

Meh. Was it really? Who would you pick that Louis fought to be competitive with Ali?

Ali struggles badly in my opinion against Joe Louis if he can't overwhelm him with athletism. Alik looked like shit against smaller guys who could box and handle his quickness, which I think Joe Louis could.

11-15 - I understand the argument for him being top 10 but he is lacking that signature win against another all time great in their prime to be in my top 10.

Thank you. I feel like this point was obvious 10 years ago but the myth of his greatness seems to grow over time. He is an ATG, but just like Canelo, has been carefully managed (although Canelo definitely has taken more risks). This is a very helpful article.

He's the most skilled boxer I've ever seen.

Actual legacy/greatness wise probably top 5.

Back