Where did this narrative of Dj not being a bigger star due to ufcs failure to properly promote begin

Didn't read, just skimmed. If you didn't enjoy his performances against Elliot, Borg, and Reis, then maybe MMA isn't for you. Try WWE instead. The crowd chanted 'Mighty Mouse' for the first time in history at UFC 216. He's becoming a star.
{<jordan}

Is he? He deserves to be, but I see no evidence of this.

There's been about a dozen Mighty Mouse threads every day since his last fight. Granted, 90% of them are made by haters and the other 10% by me, but it still counts.

MM setting records for title defenses and lowest gates and PPVs, hooray!

There's been about a dozen Mighty Mouse threads every day since his last fight. Granted, 90% of them are made by haters and the other 10% by me, but it still counts.

His finish of Borg was a great highlight. Really an eye-popping finish.

Sherdog is a tiny, tiny percentage of the market for MMA.

And besides, it's trivial to start a thread. The best indicator of value for X is how much someone is willing to pay for X. And people simply aren't parting with their money for Mighty Mouse.

I know Faber from a ufc fit commercial on the Wii from years ago.

So yea he's more popular.

ppv number were shiet for 216 tho.

(I'm a fan of MM by the way)
I think it's just the most blatant sign that the PPV model is dying outside of 2 or 3 major ones a year. MMs fans are the young, upcoming fans and they are the types who watch twitch and shit - they are good at the internet and know how to stream shit without paying. I would be willing to bet more people illegally stream each PPV than actually purchase it except for the the reallly big ones.

Sherdog is a tiny, tiny percentage of the market for MMA.

And besides, it's trivial to start a thread. The best indicator of value for X is how much someone is willing to pay for X. And people simply aren't parting with their money for Mighty Mouse.

Nope. In that case, WME obviously needs to get rid of Kevin Lee and Tony Ferguson. Nobody's willing to pay for 'em. It's not all about what they're capable of now. It's about their future potential. Mighty Mouse is growing in popularity by the day. A year ago, if I said that Mighty Mouse was the GOAT, I would've been laughed out of the room. Now it's considered a perfectly reasonable opinion. My point? Things can change. Drawing power can change.

Last edited:
Lesnar also had nothing to do with UFC 200 selling +1 million PPV buys because he fought in the co-main event.
I think the real point here is that MM, the GOAT, the best fighter EVER didn't even headline the PPV. That pretty much says it all.

The notion came from the "pc" crowd. What wrecks my brain is, that after his last submission of Ray friggin Borg, eveyrbody was like ," oh my God, that armbar, definitelty goat!" I can walk into a gym in a rural county where I live on free roll night and put at least 3 bums in a twister, and any other sub that I choose, with similar flash to what DJ pulled off against Borg. Yet, I can walk into a larger bjj gym in the city and be made to carry my arm back to my car with me. It's all about the talent pool, there simply isn't enough known, world class competitors in his weight class for me ever to consider him goat, or be remotely interested in his fights. Throw him in with TJ, CoGar, or Cruz, and call me captivated.

Last edited:
Didn't read, just skimmed. If you didn't enjoy his performances against Elliot, Borg, and Reis, then maybe MMA isn't for you. Try WWE instead. The crowd chanted 'Mighty Mouse' for the first time in history at UFC 216. He's becoming a star.

The first time ever??? That is sad poor DJ

Nope. In that case, get rid of Kevin Lee and Tony Ferguson. Nobody's willing to pay for 'em. It's not all about what they're capable of now. It's about their potential for the future. Mighty Mouse is growing in popularity by the day. A year ago, if I said that Might Mouse was the GOAT, I would've been laughed out of the room. Now it's considered a perfectly reasonable opinion. My point? Things can change. Drawing power can change.

Yes it is. This is basic free-market/business stuff man.

You are moving the goalpost discussing forecasting and also confounding the issue with legacy/fighting information. Obviously, value changes over time. I'm 32. I make twice as much as I made when I was 27 and about five times what I made when I was in college. But when I was in college, the value of my labor was still [1/5th of what it is now].

In terms of forecasting, these things are always tested over time. The UFC has done enough testing and promotion of Mighty Mouse that there would be meaningful movement already if the ceiling was as high as you are implying. But there simply hasn't been that type of movement.

The guy has broken the record for title defenses. The guy routinely has exciting, highly-technical fights with finishes in spades. The UFC has already promoted him. What specifically is going to change going forward? A fight with a top 135er would probably do marginally better than his usual numbers. If he stays at 125, is he going to pick up a bunch of people going from title defense 12 to 15 that were absent defenses 8 to 11?

The numbers don’t prove that.

He'll get there. He got a ton of mainstream coverage for his suplex-armbar. Also, all of the the hype about breaking Anderson's record is going to help a lot, too.

Yes it is. This is basic free-market/business stuff man.

You are moving the goalpost discussing forecasting and also confounding the issue with legacy/fighting information.

It's not. And no, I'm not moving the goalpost. I'm discussing the exact same thing. These things take time. It took years and years before Anderson Silva finally caught on with the mainstream.

I'd say around 10% of the UFC fanbase would order a PPV just for MM. He's an amazing fighter. But people seriously need to stop trying to make Demetrious Johnson happen.

Back