When Did Jon Jones Start Using Steroids? (Chuck Liddell Explains)

When do you think Jones started using steroids?

• Total voters
Yeah.

The other thing is that Jones, for all his wrestling skill, creativity and length, has never been super explosive or strong. Nor has relying on that really been part of his game. Apparently he can't even dunk. So I kind of question why he would have been juicing all along -- like what would it have gained him?

Then again, Barnett doesn't look like a juicer either...

Didn't all his opponents comment on how strong he was?

Didn't all his opponents comment on how strong he was?
Maybe they meant deceptively strong, given those chicken legs and pipecleaner arms? I don't recall an exact quote but I wouldn't doubt it.

But thinking back I don't recall him ever doing any brute force moves or hitting guys with huge power shots.

Maybe they meant deceptively strong, given those chicken legs and pipecleaner arms? I don't recall an exact quote but I wouldn't doubt it.

But thinking back I don't recall him ever doing any brute force moves or hitting guys with huge power shots.

He suplex Bonnar I think(?) bar that just opponents saying he was deceptively strong which could indicate roids but I don't have a clue if what he took helps with pure strength gains so whatever.

What does DC's dodgy T/E ratio make you think?
Well he's nearly a decade older than Jones and he has a lot more body fat (lowers T) plus he had to cut a lot more weight (lowers T). And I thought it was confirmed on here that DC's ratio was within the bounds of reasonable legal levels

The thing about Jones' absurd ratio is, we now have official confirmation that he's a habitual steroid abuser, so for his T levels to be so low makes it patently obvious to anyone with a brain what was going on there. Since that first DC fight, with the shady T/E ratio, Jones literally has 2 fights under USADA and two failed-PED tests. DC has never failed a test and he literally has twice as many fights as Jones under USADA. In other words, DC has infinitely more credibility when it comes to interpreting the T/E ratios of their first fight

Chuck knows what he's talking about.

The original cocaine snorting, hooker smashing, eye poking LHW badass

near when i had first opened my sherdog account i made a passing joke about Liddell using cocaine.

i received emails from a mod. they listed the definition of libel and slander and told me i would be banned if i slandered fighters again.

i did not recieve a yellow card or dubs. however a (1) was placed next to my name as some kind of marker. the entire thing was quite strange. and now you say something much worse and it gets dozens of likes.(we didnt have likes back then)

I agree with Liddell for the most part.

Jones tried to go clean when he fought St Preux, which is why he looked like crap and had to go back on for Cormier, because he knew he wasn't beating Daniel without the sauce.

Yeah.

The other thing is that Jones, for all his wrestling skill, creativity and length, has never been super explosive or strong. Nor has relying on that really been part of his game. Apparently he can't even dunk. So I kind of question why he would have been juicing all along -- like what would it have gained him?

Then again, Barnett doesn't look like a juicer either...

Not unless you count as explosive his 1st rd Romero-style knee that essentially had Shogun fighting half-KO'd the rest of that title fight:

2yocx0g.gif

He has tons of other explosive maneuvers, usually in the clinch where he'll be tied up with someone and then he'll just explode with a power move to take or throw them down

Vs Matt Hamill (noted by other fighters for his own ridiculous strength):

rmjyRmQ.gif

Just literally throwing OSP (I get the leg trip, but look at the force of the upper-body throw; he had OSP flying backwards before the trip even took his legs out):

JON+JONES+TOSSES+RASHAD+FROM+CLINCH+FOOTSWEET+AND+PUSH+GIF.gif

vs fkn DC (this is the kind of explosive burst of power you see from NFL linemen):

jones+takedown+rampage+gif.gif

Here vs Machida (noted for his excellent TDD) having Jones explode and overpower him with ease:

sFw4j9U.jpg

There's plenty more examples out there. Explosion just doesn't have to come in the form of standup ala TRT Vitor. Jones is a naturally lanky and probably slow guy (maybe why he's the one of 3 brothers that didn't find a career in a real sport?). Even on roids, he has slow handspeed, but the explosion in other maneuvers is there. They're typically moves where he's tied up with someone and he then suddenly just explodes with force to get the position he wants

Jones' wrestling skill that his fans like to cite as a reason why he doesn't/wouldn't need roids would be one of the most obvious facets of a MMA fighter's game that can be greatly enhanced by the explosion and strength benefits of PEDs. Being able to explode with strength allows you to have wrestling skill. Have people already forgotten about Hammer House?

Last edited:

Jons strenght seems to come from his leverage. He uses them well when he transitions his clinch to a takedown. Even that arm tweak against Glover was effective due to the leverage he had hooking him. He uses them well against under sized opponents. It's a shame he never went to hw.

Thats's what Jon said, he is probably lying.
You're right he probably was with an expensive camp and been training secretly among pros for years since his teens

Intelligent speculation.

I agree with Liddell on the timeline.

But I wouldn't be surprised if almost all fighters cheat in small amounts on a regular basis. Jones' body build was consistent in the past in that his build did not seem that extreme. It wasn't until recent that it became very noticeable that his build had increased. No matter the date, he was stupid for doing it. He is now damaged goods just like Anderson Silva.

It was right after the Stephan Bonnar fight. - He went from decisions to destroying people.

More from gassing too having almost infinite cardio in most of his fights. Also bumps on his abs.

0a79f94b5c47149725716e96515fc3bb.gif

jones+judo+trip+bonnar.gif

155qkh4.gif

tumblr_m5qwye3rvj1ry1rm7o1_r1_400.gif

s14u3o.gif

If you haven't watched that fight. Jones gassed from 2 rounds of kicking Bonnar's ass and dropped the 3rd round.
Sure, but the same power he used in decisioning Bonnar put people away later. Maybe Bonnar is just more durable, or maybe Jones couldn't quite land the strikes against Bonnar. Who knows. Bonnar is a real question mark in Jones career.

Chuck's reach is about 2.5" shorter than Gus' and 4.5" longer than DC (who was able to get inside and crack Jon multiple times). And that's going on Chuck's measured reach from years ago which honestly looks a bit short when you actually watch his fights. All of the old fighters have suspiciously short reach measurements, I'm wondering if they've since changed the way they measure reach

10020198.jpg

igY5XYZ.gif
So he'd be at about an 8.5 inch reach disadvantage (if my math is correct) That's still a huge discrepancy in reach. Jon has the wrestling chops to take Chuck down, is more well rounded than anyone that Chuck fought and has an iron chin. Beating Ortiz, Horn, Couture etc doesn't prepare you for a fighter of Jon's caliber.

Probably when he was wrestling is my guess. So high school or shortly after.

Back