What's up with non-Muslim/Caucasian Russians primarily being strikers?

If you where a basketball fan from outside of America you would be wondering why white guys don't play basketball.

Millions do. It's just...
Nah it's not the same, you can't apply the same logic to completely different shit

Nah it's not the same, you can't apply the same logic to completely different shit
You sure it's not the same?
I could just lie like the rest of the posters pretending to know what the wrestling culture is like in Slavic Russia.

You sure it's not the same?
I could just lie like the rest of the posters pretending to know what the wrestling culture is like in Slavic Russia.
We are basing ourselves on medals. At least I am.

Chechens & Dagis dominate the wrestling world, but have a poor showing in boxing. Russians are more interested in boxing, for whatever reason.
I think that Ossetians and Azerbaidjan might be a bit above Chechens in medal count.

How would you classify Fedor? Pretty sure he was Christian and had elite striking and grappling. Sure it was Sambo and not wrestling but who gives a fuck?
Oleg Taktarov is also Christian (how devout I have no idea) and was a Judo/Sambo fighter. He entered the UFC with knee problems but used to throw guys around. Does he want a Christian grapplers list lol? We might be here a while.

Maybe that has to do with injuries, and not cos hes some idiot that doesnt like winning?
He's not an idiot, he just probably likes/feels more comfortable striking than grappling and it showed at the tail end of his career when the stakes got lower. I don't believe he was physically incapable of taking Fabio down considering that he ragdolled Mir and Sonnen several years later.

Oleg Taktarov is also Christian (how devout I have no idea) and was a Judo/Sambo fighter. He entered the UFC with knee problems but used to throw guys around. Does he want a Christian grapplers list lol? We might be here a while.
Not true Oleg was a guard puller first and foremost. Hardly used throws.

Not true Oleg was a guard puller first and foremost. Hardly used throws.
I saw him only do that when he got to the UFC. He used to do some tosses in his old underground fights that I'd like to think he was at least getting paid to do.

I saw him only do that when he got to the UFC. He used to do some tosses in his old underground fights that I'd like to think he was at least getting paid to do.
Ok my MMA knowledge pretty much starts with UFC1 ngl

He's not an idiot, he just probably likes/feels more comfortable striking than grappling and it showed at the tail end of his career when the stakes got lower. I don't believe he was physically incapable of taking Fabio down considering that he ragdolled Mir and Sonnen several years later.
Just "shades" of his former self. He was getting beat up bad by Fabio and it made no sense for him to not try to "ragdoll" him whatsoever.

How would you classify Fedor? Pretty sure he was Christian and had elite striking and grappling. Sure it was Sambo and not wrestling but who gives a fuck?

It was elite Judo and Judo is definitely wrestling.

It's the same anywhere.

Most US midwest fighters are primarily wrestlers. Same with Pennsylvania, Oregon and Oklahoma. California and Texas, which are huge and culturally diverse, put out fighters of many different styles. The deep south, mostly well rounded fighters who are strongest in BJJ. Etc.

Ossetia is way above IIRC. Kinda interesting that they are so underrepresented in top-level MMA.

When I did the numbers Ossettia has the most guys in the 'all gold time medals list' for freestyle (5), but all but one of those guys are from the Soviet era, these days Dagestan has the most world level competitors (funnily enough, there was only 1 Dagestani on said all-time list (a guy from the 1960s) until Sadulaev recently became the 2nd). Sidakov is still keeping Ossetia in the gold at present though.

I can't think of any elite Ossettian male MMA fighters off the top of my head... Ossetia does have the #1 WMMA fighter of all time though ;)

Last edited:
Malykhin is literally a wrestler lol.

His first 10 or so MMA fights all look like the exact same fight. He takes guys down and uses GnP until he gets the finish or UD. Like an old school Mark Coleman.

He only began striking more when he realised he has KO power and fell in love with it like a lot of wrestlers do.

Then sorry to be that guy but Artur Beterbiev is a Chechen born in Dagestan and I think is currently the most decorated pro-boxer.

In no world he's the most decorated boxer. I don't know where you got this idea.

He can't even claim to be the best in his division.

In no world he's the most decorated boxer. I don't know where you got this idea.

He can't even claim to be the best in his division.
How many boxers are undefeated with 3 belts?

How many boxers are undefeated with 3 belts?
Artur isn't ranked number 1 in his division. I believe Bivol is still ranked higher than him. There is some tomfoolery with Bivol not eligible to fight for the WBC belt because he is a Russian citizen. Most importantly is that both guys aren't really a draw in the West. It's tough to sell a Russian vs Russian fight to Americans. Russia is also not having any competitions due to the war. It makes more sense for them both to fight UK/US challengers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back