What's the earliest someone should compete in BJJ.

Like the others said it depends on the person and their grappling background.

But contrary to that I personally I think 1-2 months in is too early. I'd say around 4 months in is good.

Like the others said it depends on the person and their grappling background.

But contrary to that I personally I think 1-2 months in is too early. I'd say around 4 months in is good.
Very true. I never wrestled or anything but for what it's worth people at my gym are surprised I never did based on my grappling game. I really don't care if I win or lose, I'm looking for some competition experience.

Very true. I never wrestled or anything but for what it's worth people at my gym are surprised I never did based on my grappling game. I really don't care if I win or lose, I'm looking for some competition experience.
That's a good mindset

If you train a couple of times a week, 3-6 months should be good.

Go out there to get experience, deal with the nerves, try to win a match. Also get someone to film you, and ask your coach or higher belts for tips afterwards.

If you train a couple of times a week, 3-6 months should be good.

Go out there to get experience, deal with the nerves, try to win a match. Also get someone to film you, and ask your coach or higher belts for tips afterwards.
Yeah I train about 3-4 times a week. I definitely want to get someone to film me. Only way for me to really find out where I can improve after the fact.

You seem to have your head in the right place in regards to competition. In BJJ you either win or you learn.

If you think you will enjoy it and can do so safely then go for it. It is a good experience and will accelerate your progression. A lot of people compete well before the 4 month mark, some even compete after only a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back