What's the earliest someone should compete in BJJ.

The White Mamba

"Cold Stone Steve Austin" - Mike Goldberg
@Blue
Reaction score
So I started doing gi and no-gi BJJ about four months ago and I've loved every second of it. Now I know I still have a ton of stuff to learn but I really want to compete at some point. I was kind of planning on signing up for a tournament in early 2018. Thoughts? I'm all ears on this one, don't want to rush things. I've heard getting competitive experience early on is good training for the future.

Worst case scenario: You lose a grappling match. As soon as you can handle that without quitting, you're good to go.​

I don't think there is an absolute time frame. Depends on the person. 4 or 5 months is enough time to learn and practice some basic subs and passes. Competiton is good.

Do you know how to tap? Know the rules? Know enough to not be a danger to yourself and your opponent?

If so. Then compete. Don't put it off, you're wasting prime life seconds.

You will be facing other white belts, so they will be in the same situation as you. They should know around the same amount of techniques as you do. Just go for it.

Do you know how to tap? Know the rules? Know enough to not be a danger to yourself and your opponent?

If so. Then compete. Don't put it off, you're wasting prime life seconds.

This. If you know when to tap, have enough control to not be a danger, and know the rules, you're good to go. At my gym, we regularly have folks who are ready to compete at the 3-4 month mark.

The way I look at it is if you can spar in class, you can compete if you wanted.

Do it as early as you feel comfortable. It's better to start competing now as a white or blue belt so you know where you are in your progression than 1st time competing as a purple and going against some real killers.

I think everyone should compete at least 4 or 5 times in their training just to experience that side of jiu jitsu.

The longer you wait to compete you may end up not competing because you might feel your not good enough.

I think you'd be fine. Competition is a huge accelerator of progress. One competition is probably worth 30 classes at least in terms of improvement. It just orients you correctly in terms of approach to the sport.

You can start competing anytime really.

Some people wait forever and then get disappointed when they lose.

Let put it this way.

You get better at competing by competing.

Let say you wait for 1 year before your first competition.

Then your first opponent already had 3 competitions but trained less than 1 year.

Who do you think has the edge?

Appreciate all the input. I've been looking into tournaments in my area, going to ask my instructors if there are any they recommend or know about.

The earlier you start the less pressure you put on your self. If you have the desire to do it, do it. If you can get someone to video your matches that will be good for you to see it. If your instructor is cool he will watch with you and give you some tips. Like everyone has said the best way to be ready to compete is to compete.

Keep us posted

The earlier you start the less pressure you put on your self. If you have the desire to do it, do it. If you can get someone to video your matches that will be good for you to see it. If your instructor is cool he will watch with you and give you some tips. Like everyone has said the best way to be ready to compete is to compete.

Keep us posted

Thanks for the advice. There is a tournament here in Chicago on December 2nd (also my birthday lol) so I'm leaning towards that right now. I talked to my coaches about it yesterday at training.

We will be looking for the update on Dec 3 .
More about the experience and what went through your mind vs results

Do it as early as you feel comfortable. It's better to start competing now as a white or blue belt so you know where you are in your progression than 1st time competing as a purple and going against some real killers.

I think everyone should compete at least 4 or 5 times in their training just to experience that side of jiu jitsu.

The longer you wait to compete you may end up not competing because you might feel your not good enough.

Your post is great aside from the bolded part.

Do not wait until you are comfortable or you will stall out longer than you should have.

Suprised I'm saying this but...YOLO?

White belt. 6 months. Competition isn't that big a deal. It's just a test. No biggie.

In my opinion you should just go to compete and see how it goes. If you get totally beaten you still get to know your own skill level.

Back