What's more effective for REAL life fighting?

Depends on what you want from it, what schools are available, how much time you want to invest, etc.

If you want to supplement you striking skills and defend from a grappler on the street go BJJ.

If you want to be able to fight completely with grappling go judo so you can take the guy to the ground.

Remember, some BJJ schools do work on take downs and have more of a self dense aspect than Judo and some Judo clubs focus on competition. I find people can pick up on Judo faster than BJJ as well. It is a hard toss up but I would go with BJJ for self defense.

Thanks for the advice. I actually a found a school where the head professor is an expert Judoka as well. But is mainly BJJ and also has some Muay Thai and Boxing classes as well. Would be a great way to brush up on my Muay Thai. Gonna have to check out.

The cage is just wood and foam. It is not bad to train on it. but the cage wires are pretty nasty on you head.

I say try both and see the fun.

You just cannot generalise BJJ clubs/curriculum as they are all differents.

I would say that most BJJ clubs have mediocre stand up i.e tkd and throws but just enough to take care of the average joe on the street.

But you have already basic stand up stiking skills, you should be ok.

just strike until you get to the clinch...then you will be fine.

Also most BJJ schools have nogi and MMA classes which is a plus.

Depends on the situation, really.

I think BJJ has a lot of good and a lot of bad.

Take for example the BBJ guy who put a dude in an arm bar and ended up getting his own balls busted by the dude.

Also if you're worried about self defense, you should take into account that real life fights aren't really "Fair." In almost every fight I've been in, I've been out numbered. Not sure if that is the case for everyone else tho.

I love style vs style threads!

No really, I do.

Anyway, i'd pick judo only because it's safer to remain standing on the streets.

I guess it really depends. I mean you already have Thai Kickboxing so you'll already know what to do when you're on your feet, so I would say add BJJ that way you'll be good on the ground also.

If you're worried about takedowns, and the BJJ school doesn't cover them enough for your liking then replace 1 day of bjj with 1 day of wrestling or judo in your training schedule. Where I live the local college teaches Judo and the teacher doesn't mind someone you drop in for free, also I know a place that teaches wrestling for MMA that I can drop in on if I pay a mat fee. So I go one day a week just to improve my takedowns.

But if you're really worried about self defense then you should just buy a handgun, go to the range enough to become proficient with it, and get a concealed carry permit.

Take for example the BBJ guy who put a dude in an arm bar and ended up getting his own balls busted by the dude.

that had to been the world's shittiest arm bar
when done properly, there is no room for balls to be busted
instead an elbow or a forearm would have snapped.

I don't. But would be useful to know a grappling art just in case I do have to fight in the streets. Shit happens.

So you're going to spend hundreds of hours of your time training just in case shit happens and you have to fight in the streets? Why don't you just buy a knife or a gun instead?

So you're going to spend hundreds of hours of your time training just in case shit happens and you have to fight in the streets? Why don't you just buy a knife or a gun instead?

omg, yes I am gonna fall into this same stupid fucking argument.

when the gracies were going around challenging people, it was to prove what fighting style was the best.
UFC was started to show that BJJ was the best style of fighting.
Now it is bjj comps and mma is a sport.

Carry a gun or a knife-- this is the same attitude that gets these little punk ass kids to jump people 10-1.

look, there really are legal ramifications to shooting someone or stabbing someone unless your life is in danger. Even cops are only allowed to use LETHAL force if their lives are in danger.

And again, if you use a knife or a gun you better be ready to kill someone. Until you kill someone you can have no idea what it is like--life is not a movie. You have to permanently take someone of the planet. guy could have a wife and kids and you have to end his life. But maybe you are god and can make those decisions.

there are different levels-- there are things that are worth killing over, and there are things worth regular fighting over, and there are things worth walking away from and there are things worth running as fast as you can from. There is no universal answer.

You cannot bring a gun or a knife anywhere-- ie buildings with metal detectors and airplanes.

take 911 for example are you gonna sit on the plane and let those scumbags crash it or are you gonna fight back like the last plane did.

Buy a gun in case if you can for sure, but also train fighting just in case. Again, no place is safe-- no many how many metro-sexual so called men tell you there is no need to fight it just is not true.

this country is getting shittier and unfortunately will probably still get shittier.

What do you think will happen if the economy gets worse--if welfare runs out?

Some one attempts to kill your family then blow their brains out.

some dude you have nothing to do with punches your gut or grabs your girl's ass-- that is a beating.

*** i am not saying go around bullying people and looking for fights. I am saying you never know what is gonna happen, and people telling you not to train fighting because you don't need to fight are seriously giving you bad advice.

train judo or train bjj or train them all. everything that will make you fight better can only help you. Or maybe you will never need it but at least you know you have it.

omg, yes I am gonna fall into this same stupid fucking argument.

when the gracies were going around challenging people, it was to prove what fighting style was the best.
UFC was started to show that BJJ was the best style of fighting.
Now it is bjj comps and mma is a sport.

Carry a gun or a knife-- this is the same attitude that gets these little punk ass kids to jump people 10-1.

look, there really are legal ramifications to shooting someone or stabbing someone unless your life is in danger. Even cops are only allowed to use LETHAL force if their lives are in danger.

And again, if you use a knife or a gun you better be ready to kill someone. Until you kill someone you can have no idea what it is like--life is not a movie. You have to permanently take someone of the planet. guy could have a wife and kids and you have to end his life. But maybe you are god and can make those decisions.

there are different levels-- there are things that are worth killing over, and there are things worth regular fighting over, and there are things worth walking away from and there are things worth running as fast as you can from. There is no universal answer.

You cannot bring a gun or a knife anywhere-- ie buildings with metal detectors and airplanes.

take 911 for example are you gonna sit on the plane and let those scumbags crash it or are you gonna fight back like the last plane did.

Buy a gun in case if you can for sure, but also train fighting just in case. Again, no place is safe-- no many how many metro-sexual so called men tell you there is no need to fight it just is not true.

this country is getting shittier and unfortunately will probably still get shittier.

What do you think will happen if the economy gets worse--if welfare runs out?

Some one attempts to kill your family then blow their brains out.

some dude you have nothing to do with punches your gut or grabs your girl's ass-- that is a beating.

*** i am not saying go around bullying people and looking for fights. I am saying you never know what is gonna happen, and people telling you not to train fighting because you don't need to fight are seriously giving you bad advice.

train judo or train bjj or train them all. everything that will make you fight better can only help you. Or maybe you will never need it but at least you know you have it.

This.

/thread

Everyone saying "Run away!" please remember that when someone comes on the forum talking about practicing Aikido. I don't want to hear a fucking peep out of you about how "ineffective" it is, and thus how big a waste of time it is, since you're obviously not practicing BJJ for street applications.

Everyone saying "Run away!" please remember that when someone comes on the forum talking about practicing Aikido. I don't want to hear a fucking peep out of you about how "ineffective" it is, and thus how big a waste of time it is, since you're obviously not practicing BJJ for street applications.

BJJ, judo, aikido, krav maga, whatever, I'm just sick of people on Sherdog bullshitting about doing martial arts so they can go fight people on the street. It's the most retarded topic ever.

Based on the average BJJ vs. Judo mentality, Judo is probably better in most self defense situations. Why? Because it is designed to be fast and aggressive. This may fail in certain circumstances, but usually in the streets, you want it over quickly so you can move on to the next attacker or just move out. There are a lot of people who have rudimentary boxing a wrestling skills. If you catch them quickly with a devastating throw, it's over. If you can't even get them down, you're over.

Of course, if you can wrestle a bit and crack, you probably have the best skill set (leaving aside legalities).

It's situational though.

BJJ Myths -

You can't bite me when you're in a RNC

You can't hurt my balls in an armbar, you can bite my calf. Good luck though you gave me the green light for the police to snap your arm.

you can't pick me up and slam me in a triangle..... i'll let go of the move or if i fel your trying to stack or lift i'll jam my damn thumb in your eye. (not to mention you have about 5 seconds to make that very decision to exhaust yourself in doing so)

the ground doesn't have lava, needles and broken glass (glass sometimes). However, it has cement and doing bjj on the floor makes that suck. Good thing we have adrenaline which makes us not care for the scrapes at that moment and time.

bottom line when Bjj is done right and sometimes done even sloppy on someone who knows nothing will end very much in the BJJ practitioners way.

I will agree when there is more then 1 person bjj is not the way to go, but who here is around a place with drunk people where they usually don't have friends or backup?

A gun or a tazer or mace or a bunch of friends.

Back