What's more effective for REAL life fighting?

Randy Marsh

by armbar
@Silver
Reaction score
Not in MMA but as a self defense/fighting technique. Which is more effective on the streets? Judo or BJJ?

I've trained several years in Wing Chun and some Muay Thai as well. Looking to start training in a grappling discipline and wanted to get Sherdog's take on the most effective grappling style. I'm not trying to compete or anything. Just mainly for exercise and self defense. BJJ & Judo are the two main disciplines I'm debating over. Help me decide!

Honestly the most effective thing in a life and death situation is any hard item you can find. But other than that track and field. But If you want a real answer Probably Judo is greater than BJJ because it starts on the feet usually. Most people won't recover from getting slammed on the pavement.

Why do you want to do real life fighting on the streets?

hip throws have to be precise and the slightest off set would cancel the move your better with BJJ because you close the distance,clinch,takedown and choke.

I dunno... if only there was an event where different styles fought each other, then we'd know.

your better with BJJ because you close the distance,clinch,takedown and choke.
Uh judo does this too...

BJJ and Judo are starting to vary so much - some BJJ schools have more takedowns than others, just as some Judo schools have more newaza than others.

The only semi-consistent conclusions you can make between the two is that BJJ is generally a little more available due to its popularity, but Judo tends to be cheaper.

let's not forget that in real life situations there are real life consequences. If you judo throw someone on concrete, there is a good posibility that he will get seriously injured and you have to deal with that legal consequence.

I dunno... if only there was an event where different styles fought each other, then we'd know.

Yeah because cement and spring loaded mats are the same huh mr. smart ass? Go back to your fantasy land kid.

Why do you want to do real life fighting on the streets?

I don't. But would be useful to know a grappling art just in case I do have to fight in the streets. Shit happens.

spring loaded mats? You have been talking to tma guys haven't you?

I like people who say "Durr wrestling only works when you have your mats. Fight me on the street man"

Because, yknow.

The guy who spent 2-10 years wrestling is totally going to get dumped on his head by a guy who calls wrestling gay.

edit: The gracies challenged a karate school to a fight. Wanted it to be on mats. The Karate guys pulled the whole, "HEH NO WE FIGHT ON CEMENT FLOORS"

Didnt work out as well as the karate guys hoped. They shouldve stuck with the mats.

spring loaded mats? You have been talking to tma guys haven't you?

I thought in MMA the mat is spring loaded? No? Which was what I was referring to. Could be wrong. I'm not a grappling expert and have no experience on 'mats'. I just want to know what would be the most effective style if used on the streets compared to inside a gym.

I like people who say "Durr wrestling only works when you have your mats. Fight me on the street man"

Because, yknow.

The guy who spent 2-10 years wrestling is totally going to get dumped on his head by a guy who calls wrestling gay.

edit: The gracies challenged a karate school to a fight. Wanted it to be on mats. The Karate guys pulled the whole, "HEH NO WE FIGHT ON CEMENT FLOORS"

Didnt work out as well as the karate guys hoped. They shouldve stuck with the mats.

I would much rather fight a wrestler on the mat then on the street. A wrestler has a good chance of slamming someone on their head of a concrete floor. /fight.

runningdo or take the opposite gun-kata.

Seriously why take a fair street fight? Never in my entire life have seen or experienced a fair street fight. a former boyfriend of my girl with a couple of his friends confronted me in a street one time carrying some batons and I just ran away. Next time he confronted me again near my car I ran again going to my car and picked up my gun, shoved in my waist and they ran. They never bothered me again.

A lot of times people who goes into a street fight rarely thinks about not putting one up with his opponent. It aint like the movies where they will take turns on hitting you or you hitting them. In my country a street fight means 5 against one or 5 with deadly weapons against 1 or my friends versus your friends. Either you get stabbed, clubbered or shot at.

To end my post, the only effective way on dealing with a street fight is either be a student of runningdo or be a practitioner of the Gun-Kata. A good Seionage on a cement is a pretty much a fight stopper right there or so is a RNC while your friends are watching your back.

Yeah because cement and spring loaded mats are the same huh mr. smart ass? Go back to your fantasy land kid.

I don't. But would be useful to know a grappling art just in case I do have to fight in the streets. Shit happens.

I don't think there's any spring in them. I've heard a few MMA fighters say that people would be surprised at how hard the octagon floor is.

Anyways, I'd probably say Judo by an edge. Just because it will teach you how to handle yourself on the feet, and though your newaza wont be as good as someone who trains BJJ. It should still be adequate to deal with the average person on the ground.

If I'm on the ground though, I'd much rather train BJJ. The amount of newaza that Judoka train varies from club to club. But I'm sure there are a lot of Judoka who wouldn't feel very comfortable on the ground in a fight.

I don't think there's any spring in them. I've heard a few MMA fighters say that people would be surprised at how hard the octagon floor is.

Anyways, I'd probably say Judo by an edge. Just because it will teach you how to handle yourself on the feet, and though your newaza wont be as good as someone who trains BJJ. It should still be adequate to deal with the average person on the ground.

If I'm on the ground though, I'd much rather train BJJ. The amount of newaza that Judoka train varies from club to club. But I'm sure there are a lot of Judoka who wouldn't feel very comfortable on the ground in a fight.

Yeah, thanks for the insight. I think I'm leaning more towards BJJ. I heard of many schools that teach you some solid judo throws and takedowns and obviously the ground work is covered. Plus many more options in terms of schools. At least where I'm from.

Depends on what you want from it, what schools are available, how much time you want to invest, etc.

If you want to supplement you striking skills and defend from a grappler on the street go BJJ.

If you want to be able to fight completely with grappling go judo so you can take the guy to the ground.

Remember, some BJJ schools do work on take downs and have more of a self dense aspect than Judo and some Judo clubs focus on competition. I find people can pick up on Judo faster than BJJ as well. It is a hard toss up but I would go with BJJ for self defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back