What's going on with Brandon Vera?

One has to save money throughout a whole year to pay him for 1 fight

i think he started Alliance MMA right? maybe he's behind the scenes promoting/running their league

There's like 2 other One HW's.

Still working his plan to be the UFC LHW and HW champion. With Jones out of the picture, he could strike at any time!

I've heard literally nothing on him since his last fight.

I know he started Alliance MMA like 10 years ago. Maybe that is taking up his time.

Wouldn' mind Vera coming bck to the UFC as a lhw if he could bet he' be top 5 with Jones gone

Still working his plan to be the UFC LHW and HW champion. With Jones out of the picture, he could strike at any time!

He's more worried about Werdum, Werdum has left the picture too though so a UFC signing is probably coming soon. Stipe/Vera incoming.

He's only allowed to fight once a year in Dec and he missed it this past year so he has to wait until Dec 18

Wouldn' mind Vera coming bck to the UFC as a lhw if he could bet he' be top 5 with Jones gone

I don't know. UFC LHW is definitely thin now, but Vera lost to Keith Jardine, an ancient version of Couture, took a beating from Thiago Silva, etc. If he could still make LHW (a big IF at this point), he'd be really drained and probably affected by the weight cut. At the very least, I think these guys would beat him:

Gus (easily)
Volkan
Glover
Latifi (strong wrestler...the type that always bullied Vera)
OSP

I wouldn't be surprised if Cummins, Manuwa and some other guys could also beat him--I'd give them at least a 50/50 chance. And of course if Cormier, Jones or Rumble return, they'd beat him with ease.

I don't know. UFC LHW is definitely thin now, but Vera lost to Keith Jardine, an ancient version of Couture, took a beating from Thiago Silva, etc. If he could still make LHW (a big IF at this point), he'd be really drained and probably affected by the weight cut. At the very least, I think these guys would beat him:

Gus (easily)
Volkan
Glover
Latifi (strong wrestler...the type that always bullied Vera)
OSP

I wouldn't be surprised if Cummins, Manuwa and some other guys could also beat him--I'd give them at least a 50/50 chance. And of course if Cormier, Jones or Rumble return, they'd beat him with ease.

To be fair, Couture decision was a travesty, and Thiago Silva had a pharmaceutical advantage.

To be fair, Couture decision was a travesty, and Thiago Silva had a pharmaceutical advantage.

I haven't watched the Couture fight since it happened, but the outcome didn't surprise me. Vera did much better than Randy on his feet, but he repeatedly allowed Randy to clinch and drag him to the cage wall. From there, it was very boring but decidedly in Couture's favor.

And while Thiago got busted for PEDs after that fight, other guys beat Vera by bullying strategies as well. Vera had more technical striking and a better chin than Jardine, he let Keith win by being the aggressor and fighting his fight (more of a grapple-brawl than a kickboxing match). Unless he's fighting low-level guys, Vera has a bad habit of letting his opponent dictate how the fight goes.

Now that Vera is 40, I certainly can't see him doing any better.

Vera actually looked good vs rothwell its just that he couldn't put him away and looked to gas late in the fight.

Sucks chi parry ducked him and many others

I've heard literally nothing on him since his last fight.

I know he started Alliance MMA like 10 years ago. Maybe that is taking up his time.
There's only 1 Alliance.

images

images

Hasn't fought in the last 18 months and is 40 years old. Last fought good competition 5 years ago. He's done, move on.

I was thinking along the lines of beating Tim Sylvia to get the UFC HW belt, then go to LHW and take Chuck's belt.

I was thinking along the lines of beating Tim Sylvia to get the UFC HW belt, then go to LHW and take Chuck's belt.

That was the original plan, but he never fought Chuck, and lost to Tim after he'd already lost the HW belt. Honestly, that was his best chance--Chuck was 38 and ended up getting KO'd by Rampage then going on a huge decline. But there's no way Vera was going to take both belts. He later lost to both Couture (who beat Timmeh for the belt) and Timmeh. And it didn't help that he had a contract dispute during his best opportunity...just before both Pride fighters and Cain, JDS and Brock came on the scene. When that happened, his chance went to 0.

But I was joking anyway--in case you didn't pick that up.

Back