Whats a well explained wrestling for mma instructional?

Any newer additions?
basically have to find gems on youtube every now and then a pro fighter will show his way of doing stuff ect and try to form a series of attacks

wrestling out in the open isnt rocket science the real stuff u wana find thats hard is legit takedowns against the cage and mat returns to keep guys down

I wish I still had my box of old Ultimate Grappling, Ultimate MMA, Fightsport, and Fighters Only magazines. The back pages were filled with instructionals.

I really liked the Bolt wrestling series. It isn't the most in depth set, but it covers a lot of the fundamental stuff that other sets assume you already understand. For those who don't come from a background in wrestling, it fills in a lot of gaps that you might not otherwise pick up on from a straight technique set. It is also one of the few wrestling instrutionals I've seen that even covers concepts and strategy. Definitely recommend that set, although it's not specific to mma.
Im sure the BOLT stuff is good for those with no wrestling background because catering to that demographic is how Kenny Johnson made his name. He worked with Paul Daley, a bunch of Brazilians, and BJ Penn (although BJ knows wrestling). I just cant support how the guy marketed himself. He put out a lot of misleading and disingenuous credentials. "Im training for my 6th Olympics" is a line he often dropped. He was a wrestler, and maybe a DIII All American or something like that with some freestyle and Greco experience, but he has no meaningful credentials beyond that. And to suggest you are an Olympic level wrestler is pretty misleading.

Im sure the BOLT stuff is good for those with no wrestling background because catering to that demographic is how Kenny Johnson made his name. He worked with Paul Daley, a bunch of Brazilians, and BJ Penn (although BJ knows wrestling). I just cant support how the guy marketed himself. He put out a lot of misleading and disingenuous credentials. "Im training for my 6th Olympics" is a line he often dropped. He was a wrestler, and maybe a DIII All American or something like that with some freestyle and Greco experience, but he has no meaningful credentials beyond that. And to suggest you are an Olympic level wrestler is pretty misleading.

How do you assess if someone is a good coach if they lack personal credentials and haven't produced champions? Serious question.

I'm currently learning from a high school wrestler and a high school coach who medaled at local tournaments in CA. It seems to be the equivalent of learning from a competitive purple belt due to sheer # of matches most high schoolers accumulate, which in a bjj context seems like more than enough.

How do you assess if someone is a good coach if they lack personal credentials and haven't produced champions? Serious question.

I'm currently learning from a high school wrestler and a high school coach who medaled at local tournaments in CA. It seems to be the equivalent of learning from a competitive purple belt due to sheer # of matches most high schoolers accumulate, which in a bjj context seems like more than enough.
Its definitely really tough to do if the coach has no credentials AND no successful students. If you know the sport (the terminology, the moves, the rules, etc) but are just not very good or have no experience competing in it, then you can probably assess the coaches worth to some extent by observing. This is ok if the stakes are not very high. Meaning, if you want to get better at wrestling to improve your bjj, this is fine. If you want to win a state championship or better, probably not a good idea. Overall, youre gonna have to gather recommendations, reviews, test your results, etc.

There is also one other important factor. Are you improving under this coaches tutelage?

Its definitely really tough to do if the coach has no credentials AND no successful students. If you know the sport (the terminology, the moves, the rules, etc) but are just not very good or have no experience competing in it, then you can probably assess the coaches worth to some extent by observing. This is ok if the stakes are not very high. Meaning, if you want to get better at wrestling to improve your bjj, this is fine. If you want to win a state championship or better, probably not a good idea. Overall, youre gonna have to gather recommendations, reviews, test your results, etc.

There is also one other important factor. Are you improving under this coaches tutelage?

Hard to gauge. I have a one on one session with him twice a week and then use the weekend to live wrestle with others wrestlers.

I do well with people who used to wrestle but haven't done so for many years and people who used to wrestle but were not good in their day. I only win because I play very conservatively by handfighting/level changing to counter shots from open. My game relies on getting to the tie up and doing low commitment offense like snap front headlock go behinds, snatch singles, and mat returns. I get destroyed by HS kids who are still wrestling and any type of college wrestler, even the JC level. We're talking strictly takedowns here. Pinning people is very difficult for me.

Given enough time under this schedule, I'm sure I will improve if I'm willing to stay coachable, try new things, and learn from my mistakes.

I feel like I should compete but I'm 28. I'd feel creepy being around young kids.

Honestly I need to just be happy with my current situation. I remember when I was dying to find people to wrestle with. Then I ran into an old acquaintance who trains me for free on my own time and brings in other people for me to wrestle with. I don't know why I got so picky.

Hard to gauge. I have a one on one session with him twice a week and then use the weekend to live wrestle with others wrestlers.

I do well with people who used to wrestle but haven't done so for many years and people who used to wrestle but were not good in their day. I only win because I play very conservatively by handfighting/level changing to counter shots from open. My game relies on getting to the tie up and doing low commitment offense like snap front headlock go behinds, snatch singles, and mat returns. I get destroyed by HS kids who are still wrestling and any type of college wrestler, even the JC level. We're talking strictly takedowns here. Pinning people is very difficult for me.

Given enough time under this schedule, I'm sure I will improve if I'm willing to stay coachable, try new things, and learn from my mistakes.

I feel like I should compete but I'm 28. I'd feel creepy being around young kids.

Honestly I need to just be happy with my current situation. I remember when I was dying to find people to wrestle with. Then I ran into an old acquaintance who trains me for free on my own time and brings in other people for me to wrestle with. I don't know why I got so picky.
Yeah man, give your current situation some good effort and you'll get better. Its obviously not ideal but in some ways simply participating is gonna make you good. You'll learn to recognize the feeling of really nailing a move and will seek to replicate the feeling. Activities have a way of being the sport and the teacher at the same time, if we are observant.

well luckly since the thread is wrestling for mma about 70% of wrestling goes away when you have a mma rule set no more russian ties ect on the feat theres only so many things u can do i think it really shines with being creative technical with being on top and knowing how to flow and control

well luckly since the thread is wrestling for mma about 70% of wrestling goes away when you have a mma rule set no more russian ties ect on the feat theres only so many things u can do i think it really shines with being creative technical with being on top and knowing how to flow and control

2 on 1 still works in mma

Im sure the BOLT stuff is good for those with no wrestling background because catering to that demographic is how Kenny Johnson made his name. He worked with Paul Daley, a bunch of Brazilians, and BJ Penn (although BJ knows wrestling)..

Didn't Kenny Johnson work with Cobrinha? Cobrinha is at least a better wrestler then AJ Agazarm (although AJs main skill is recovering from horrible injuries in a week)

Didn't Kenny Johnson work with Cobrinha? Cobrinha is at least a better wrestler then AJ Agazarm (although AJs main skill is recovering from horrible injuries in a week)
He's worked with a lot of high profile names. And he is likely even a good coach. Its just the way he marketed himself as an Olympian, trained under Dan Gable, etc. I talked to Holt about this once and apparently the guy is completely full of shit.

If they’re pinned against the fence and their stance is broken. You still have to watch out for an elbow from their free hand. Punches don’t have any real effect from a broken stance but elbows sure as hell do.

a russian 2 on 1? iv never seen it done at a high level id be afraid to even try to go for that and tbh what would be the point in mma if your that close to get a russian u might as well just grab the hips or single or whatever since the 2 on 1 s a method to help you get to the hips anyways like how n wrestling you need ties to setup takedowns to get to a guys hips but with striking that goes out the window makes easier

He's worked with a lot of high profile names. And he is likely even a good coach. Its just the way he marketed himself as an Olympian, trained under Dan Gable, etc. I talked to Holt about this once and apparently the guy is completely full of shit.
well he obviously knows his stuff for doing it in combat sports but yeah him lying or misleading people into thinking he was in the olympics is gay.

but if he has good stuff to offer then hell idc what kinda person they are all i want is the technique u dont have to b a olympic wrestler to teach guy wreslting for mma since its a lot different like bjj guys like myiaos u prob wouldnt want as your coach due to them being berinbolo 50 50 junkies vs a guy like jacare maia ect its about are they smart enough to make a good system into using wrestling to work in mma vs good guys

Cormier used the russian tie on jones but since jones was faster he got countered.
You don't have to go for the hips, you can trip, take the back or whatever the 2 on 1 is a transitional position , the only thing that can hit you is the free hand while in a regular clinch there are 2 knees and a free hand.

Last edited:
well he obviously knows his stuff for doing it in combat sports but yeah him lying or misleading people into thinking he was in the olympics is gay.

but if he has good stuff to offer then hell idc what kinda person they are all i want is the technique u dont have to b a olympic wrestler to teach guy wreslting for mma since its a lot different like bjj guys like myiaos u prob wouldnt want as your coach due to them being berinbolo 50 50 junkies vs a guy like jacare maia ect its about are they smart enough to make a good system into using wrestling to work in mma vs good guys
No doubt he was a decent wrestler with plenty of skill and certainly a good coach. Pretty misleading stuff though.

ye
No doubt he was a decent wrestler with plenty of skill and certainly a good coach. Pretty misleading stuff though.[/QUOTE

yeah but wrestling is lil diff from bjj i dont think u really need a olympic level wrestle to be your wrestling coach vs a d1 wrestler on basic shots there isnt gonna be that much of a difference that they will show you in pure wrestling of course the olympic level guy is gonna be leaps and bounds more technical id like to know a guys style before hiring him to coach me would be like getting a bjj guy into your camp and he has no top game only plays de la riva spider guard

i co
Cormier used the russian tie on jones but since jones was faster he got countered.
You don't have to go for the hips, you can trip, take the back or whatever the 2 on 1 is a transitional position , the only thing that can hit you is the free hand while in a regular clinch there are 2 knees and a free hand.
uld see it against the fence especially if guys taller but out in the open would be a disaster again im talking about good pro level

i could see it against the fence especially if guys taller but out in the open would be a disaster again im talking about good pro level

It's a transitional position you don't just walk and grab a 2 on 1.

yeah obv
It's a transitional position you don't just walk and grab a 2 on 1.
iously but if to do that means im right up on the guy so why reach for a 2 on 1 when i could go for a single or work in my underhook thats like taking a hotdog over a steak

Back