Whats a well explained wrestling for mma instructional?

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'd like to learn more about wrestling where it applies to mma. What's a good instructional?

there's an old vhs torrent floating around of an underhook series by mike van arsdale that is REALLY good. let me know what you find, though, because i'm always looking for anotehr good instructional.

I haven't seen a lot, but I like the CSW Camp videos with Erik Paulson and Greg Nelson. It's all MMA based and they go into cage tactics, takedowns, pummeling... Lots of cool little details. And a ton of submission chains from various positions.

I think the last one I saw was 2011. 2010's was pretty good too.

Matt Lindland's "Dirty Boxing" (book)

Erik Paulson's CSW Essentials volume 1

Various CSW camp DVDs have lots of ideas of takedowns off of striking combos with Paulson and Greg Nelson. There's early 2000's CSW camp Paulson has for free on youtube I believe.

Darrel Gholar has a Vale Tudo takedown set. Kevin Jackson and Mike Van Arsdale have a big Ultimate Takedown set. Mark Kerr has his Seek and Destroy set which is all power based takedowns and re-counters.

Randy Couture has his sets.

I'm not sure of really modern ones outside of Randy Couture's latest, the Lindland book, and the Paulson ones.

I've no idea what Greg Jackson's stuff is like.

Greg Nelson also has "Clinch" Volumes 1-5, with 5 including takedown strategies Jacob Volkmann uses off the clinch (1-2 focuses more on the Thai clinch, 3-5 on a more Greco-MMA clinch with aspects of Thai and Judo, and even Dumog I believe)

whoa ur boy eric paulson ain't giving that set away (almost 200 bucks)

http://erikpaulson.com/csw-student-5-dvd-set-169-95/

Students level 1-5. It's basically half his submission grappling curriculum (he has another set 6-10), so similar to white belt to high blue / low purple, I guess. As it says, over 6.5 hours of video (each level is over an hour on video, but has years worth of drills and techniques to learn).

I think you can buy each level individually too. However for more MMA specific stuff, I mentioned CSW Essentials, not CSW student. Essentials 1 is to do with takedowns off the punch.

I'd like to learn more about wrestling where it applies to mma. What's a good instructional?

Billy Robinson WAR Catch Wrestling 4 DVD set.
Best set out there.

(*Double Wrist Lock set is okay but for the price point it does not contain that much content compared to WAR catch).

Randy's book?

how bout that bolt wrestling by Kenny Johnston?

how bout that bolt wrestling by Kenny Johnston?

Bolt wrestling was okay. I think the championship products guys (John Smith, Ben Askren, J Robinson, etc, etc) have a much better product though. Ken Chertow's stuff is also very good.

Billy Robinson WAR Catch Wrestling 4 DVD set.
Best set out there.

(*Double Wrist Lock set is okay but for the price point it does not contain that much content compared to WAR catch).

WAR is very good, though some will argue of it's direct application to MMA. It does suffer some sound issues when there's other stuff going along in the back ground, as it was taken from a couple of different seminars in shared gyms.

WAR is very good, though some will argue of it's direct application to MMA. It does suffer some sound issues when there's other stuff going along in the back ground, as it was taken from a couple of different seminars in shared gyms.

I think Billy addresses enough about strikes and GnP (hammerfists and elbows) that it is applicable to MMA. And certainly it's a bible for submission grappling.

Some Americans may have trouble with his accent which is a bigger issue than any audio problems which are minimal.

It seems to be one seminar shot over two days at the Santa Monica High School.

Eric Paulson, Josh Barnett, Megumi Fuji, and Harry Smith (Davey Boy Smith's son) are among the participants at this seminar. You see them listening and absorbing the information attentively and you know it's good stuff.

Agreed on his comments regarding G'n'P (how easy it is to break a hand), he also has a tiny bit on distance management when it comes to getting in close against a striker.

The quality of the filming is better than his DWL tape, which is relatively short and a little less detailed.

I really liked the Bolt wrestling series. It isn't the most in depth set, but it covers a lot of the fundamental stuff that other sets assume you already understand. For those who don't come from a background in wrestling, it fills in a lot of gaps that you might not otherwise pick up on from a straight technique set. It is also one of the few wrestling instrutionals I've seen that even covers concepts and strategy. Definitely recommend that set, although it's not specific to mma.

^ Yeah I like the Bolt stuff too.

Nobody has mentioned it yet but the Jon Trenge Clinch Domination DVD is excellent. Some really good detail from an elite wrestler and coach. And although he isn't that familiar with MMA he does pick stuff that he thinks will work within that game.

Tito Ortiz actually has a really good wrestling for MMA series. You can find some of it on YouTube.........

^ Yeah I like the Bolt stuff too.

Nobody has mentioned it yet but the Jon Trenge Clinch Domination DVD is excellent. Some really good detail from an elite wrestler and coach. And although he isn't that familiar with MMA he does pick stuff that he thinks will work within that game.

I recently watched the Trenge DVDs, he's an incredible teacher. Great details and explanations!

Back