What world events stick in your mind?

Nothing that I think about in any regularity. I never remember dates and move on quickly.

Death of Diana, 9/11 and the Shock and Awe campaign at the start of the 2003 Iraq war.

They all stick in my mind because I watched them live on TV as they happened. I think i'm one of the few Britbongs who watched the Diana coverage live. It happened in the middle of the night here, but I was at a sleep-over at a friends house and the normal programming got overridden by an emergency news broadcast, first saying that she'd been in an accident, then a while later announcing she was dead.

9/11 is obviously self explanatory, the shock and awe campaign is stood out because they'd been so many warnings about Iraq, basically saying it had the potential to turn into a terrorist shit-hole without Saddam containing them, and that was the moment we decided to open the can of terrorist worms. The footage of the bombing was also something to behold.

9/11
The invasion of Iraq in 2003
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Disbanding of the USSR

Honestly I've been exposed to videos like that since I was around 13, the amount of shit I've seen on the internet would shock normal people, but the problem is now I'll see something and be reminded of those videos, even ones I saw back when I was young. one thing that sticks with me and I wish that it wouldn't is animal abuse videos I've seen. I love animals and seeing them hurt or killed in horrific ways angers me far more than seeing people killed does, it sounds pathetic but when I see a person killed (as I have in person) it doesn't have nearly as much of an effect on me as when I see one of those animal abuse videos.
Tbh I’ve seen a lot of awful things online and off. But online I feel the worse I’ve seen are “crush” FETISH videos.

Women stomping on small animals until they die. And that’s a fucking fetish for people. They get off on it. Fucking sick vile scum.

The French Revolution but I'm older than most here.

I'm 34. I was 6 years old when it happened. I was too young to understand the implications and I remember my dad being glued to the TV while some people were breaking up a wall And I was confused as to what was so interesting about it.
that was a big one for me as well. I had just gotten back from west germany visiting my uncle(in the army) and he had shown me how the east were living. I was only 9 though so it was just really cool and epic.

Other than that it was 9/11, tsunami, and the two shuttle disasters(challenger and discovery).

Russia winning WW2
murica making shit up to start a war in Vietnam
murica making shit up to start a war in Iraq.

I was born in 1988 so the biggest thing was definitely 9/11. I had a classmate who I was pretty good friends with have an uncle who worked in one of the towers. He was fortunate but so many others weren't.

Columbine was a pretty big event and especially memorable as it happened on my sister's birthday.

The fall of Sadaam was pretty big as well especially since my best friend was over there when it happened.

Last thing that sticks out is Sandy Hook. I was working as a sales manager for a large retail chain at the time and all of our TVs in our electronics department were on the news. I didn't get much work done that day.

The great depression, titanic sinking, start of world war 1, russia launching sputnik, Korean war (my oldest was required to go) and jfk assassination.

'85 Bears

Honorable mentions:
9/11/01 - Because I was a soldier in South Korea at the time.
Death of Michael Jackson
2016 Presidential race and Trump's victory
Texas beats USC in 2006 Rose Bowl

9/11 for sure. I was a month away from turning 18 and when I came home from school my dad made me register for the draft.

Vegas shooting. Got locked down in a mechanical room at Mandalay Bay for 16 hours.

Man landing/walking on the moon. I was a little kid and watched with my extended family and remember being amazed.

I guess another series of events that sticks out is the aftermath of the Vietnam war, when Americans slowly began to realize what a colossal fuck up it was and how much we were lied to.

9/11 by far...I was in college...then probably Timberlake exposing Janet Jackson's boob on live tv...

Back