What world events stick in your mind?

Things I have cognizant recollection of:

The release of Thriller, Born in the U.S.A., Straight Outta Compton.

The Challenger disaster
(Watching live in my second grade classroom as the teachers checked on and consoled each other, trying to figure out what to tell us.)

OJ Simpson trial
(The most poignant reminder I have of that was my high school yearbook having a picture of two students watching the verdict live in civics class. Both girls were honor students and scholarship-level athletes from good middle-class homes. One was white and the other was black. One gave this "Are you fucking kidding me?" look to the camera and the other looked like she just won the lottery.)

Columbine
(Eating dinner with friends at a campus dining hall that I didn't usually go to, discussing and listening to discussions at other tables: They were sympathetic. They were scumbags. They were justified. They should have been slowly tortured. They should've been capped in the back of the head and left in a ditch. It was guns. It was bullying. It was Marilyn Manson. Left bombs for the evacuees and responders. Should've killed the pigs that showed up. And so on.)

September 11th
(On my way to a jobsite, I walk out from getting coffee when a guy who waited in the truck told us a plane jyst hit the World Trade Center. "Holy shit. What was the last time that happened? 1939 Empire State Building?" We pull up to the site and a guy tells us second plane hit. Bizarre. Then The Pentagon. Shit's going down. Getting updates from guys closest to the radio as we continued working, "The first tower that got hit just fell down!" and the resulting cloud being visible as we were only 25 miles away. Coming home to find every minute of TV dominated by it and heading to the gym.)

September 11 is probably the Kennedy assassination for people under 40

probably Chernobyl and aftermath. I remember I grabbed my dad and wouldnt let him leave, when he had to go there for clean-up.

i stopped paying attention now that the mandella effect just keeps changing shit anyway.

1. Sherdog forums changing layout

Can't forget the L.A riots.

This was one of the most tense moments in terms of race relations in the he U.S. other cities we're afraid it would spread to them.

The fear of it happening again is still there as most recently seen in Ferguson, MI

9/11 still sticks out the most vividly. I remember it was the 8th grade and it was a half day (back in school, we would occasionally have half days every now and then where they'd let us out early around noon), and I was in my overweight math teacher's home room class. Completely killed the mood that day.

Can't forget the L.A riots.

This was one of the most tense moments in terms of race relations in the he U.S. other cities we're afraid it would spread to them.

The fear of it happening again is still there as most recently seen in Ferguson, MO

FIFY. Missouri, not Michigan.

Soviets shooting down Korean jet liner.

Reagan being shot.

1. The 1978 Final Four
2. The 1996 Final Four
3. The 1998 Final Four
4. The 2012 Final Four
5. 9/11
6. Tsunami
7. The Don Recognizes Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel

For me, it was one of those events where you always remember where you were when you heard the news kind of thing.

Makes sense being from England.

What a goddamn circus it must have been at that time

The moon landing (I was 4, and it was televised in my school hall).

In the 70s I clearly remember Elvis's death and Nixon's impeachment.

From the 80s:
The miners' strike.
The Iran embassy siege with the SAS.
The Falklands war.
Liveaid.
Tiananmen Square

From the 90s:

The fall of the wall and the USSR (began in 1989).
The gulf war
Princess Diana's death
Monica Lewinsky

2000s:
September 11th
SARs
The 2nd gulf war

Sandy Hook still sticks in my mind. The whole thing was super traumatic and terrifying.

The moon landing (I was 4, and it was televised in my school hall).

In the 70s I clearly remember Elvis's death and Nixon's impeachment.

From the 80s:
The miners' strike.
The Iran embassy siege with the SAS.
The Falklands war.
Liveaid.
Tiananmen Square

From the 90s:

The fall of the wall and the USSR (began in 1989).
The gulf war
Princess Diana's death
Monica Lewinsky

2000s:
September 11th
SARs
The 2nd gulf war

SARs was a laugh and a half wasn't it... Along with the Anthrax terrorism.

I was in Hong Kong during SARs. I remember the daily death toll every evening on the evening news. Terrifying.

The most horrific natural disaster in my lifetime was the 2004 Tsunami. Its amazing how few people in this thread recognize it for what it was. It makes 9/11 look like a non-event.

280,000 people died that day.

Back