What to do when someone doesn't stop when you tap?

Croo67

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I started BJJ last week, and whilst rolling I tapped three times and the guy didn't stop. Eventually he let go, but it was a good few seconds after the final tap.

What's the best action to do in this situation? If you are caught in a choke you can't exactly yell for help.

Tap sooner, harder, and more distinctly - on your partner's body or the mat where they can see it. Say "Tap, tap, tap!" loudly. If that doesn't work, find another gym.

Last edited:
Remember to tap on your partner's body, not on the mat, unless it's impossible. Also as stated above verbal tap works very well, I usually tap like that to the more dangerous submissions like heel hook etc

I started BJJ last week, and whilst rolling I tapped three times and the guy didn't stop. Eventually he let go, but it was a good few seconds after the final tap.

What's the best action to do in this situation? If you are caught in a choke you can't exactly yell for help.
#1, make sure you're tapping the best way you can. ideally, you tap on your opponents body multiple times, and with obvious enough force that they couldnt possibly misconstrue it for anything other than a tap. keep in mind, there are more ways to tap than with just the hands, though that is typically the best option. sometimes your hands are tied up, you tap verbally. hands tied and being choked, tap with your feet on the mat loudly.

if thats all good, then you definitely need to confront the perp and/or your instructor about it. you should always feel safe from malicious intent when training martial arts. if you dont, that is a very bad environment to be developing self defense skills and you should find a different place to train.

assuming youre tapping clearly and this guy truly knew you were tapping and didnt release a submission, a good bjj instructor should not allow that kind of behavior in his/her dojo.

i dont want to doubt your ability to tap (sounds ridiculous) but there are plenty of new comers who dont tap obviously and then are surprised when a submission isnt immediately released. ive seen many times white belts tapping by gently touching hand/fingers to the mat twice, and if that's how you tap, dont be pissed if you get hurt from someone who didnt notice your subtle gesture.

Ask why he did not let it go. Most likely he did not hear your tapping. If he did hear do not roll with him again.

First you should talk to him and ask him why he didn't let go. This goes one of three ways

1. He didn't know you tapped. This is most likely the case, so learn to tap better; distinctly on their body when possible, with your voice if hands aren't possible, with your feet hard so they hear and can't mistake it when hands and voice are both not possible.

2. He knew you tapped and held the submission anyway because he wanted to for sadistic/bad person reasons: You should talk to the instructor about it so that they're aware and have them deal with it, and you should avoid rolling with them in the future.

3. He knew you tapped and held the submission anyway because you were greenlit and he was teaching you a lesson: this is the least likely possibility, but if you're rolling too hard with smaller people, younger people, or inexperienced people, SOME gyms will send a shark after you to hurt you. It's fucked up if they do this before talking to you about your tendencies, and usually it's just a mauling rather than not letting go of submissions, but it does happen. You should still talk to the instructor even if this is the case to find out how you can not act like a spazz gorilla.

Yes you can yell out when you caught in a choke.

Punch him in the face after its all done with

One time this dude got me in a choke and both my arms were tangled up. I thought that was the end right there.

But I muscled out and then immediately stopped and told him he almost just killed me.

Yes you can yell out when you caught in a choke.
? maybe sometimes, but the vast majority of the time it's pretty hard to yell..

One time this dude got me in a choke and both my arms were tangled up. I thought that was the end right there.

But I muscled out and then immediately stopped and told him he almost just killed me.

tap w ur feet

That's exactly what he told me.

Or rasp/gurgle out "tap" verbally. I managed to snag a back-crucifix lapel choke a little while ago against a newer guy, and the guy managed to do that...I was kinda watching closely though because I wasn't sure if he knew to do that.

Or rasp/gurgle out "tap" verbally. I managed to snag a back-crucifix lapel choke a little while ago against a newer guy, and the guy managed to do that...I was kinda watching closely though because I wasn't sure if he knew to do that.

Honestly in my situation the best thing to do was probably just go limp. I was in guard. Tapping with my feet would have been hard as I was driving forward.

A lot of guys will do this if they consider you a spazz. It's not cool to try super hard during a roll that elbows or knees or accidents tend to happen. Should always be controlled

First you should talk to him and ask him why he didn't let go. This goes one of three ways

1. He didn't know you tapped. This is most likely the case, so learn to tap better; distinctly on their body when possible, with your voice if hands aren't possible, with your feet hard so they hear and can't mistake it when hands and voice are both not possible.

2. He knew you tapped and held the submission anyway because he wanted to for sadistic/bad person reasons: You should talk to the instructor about it so that they're aware and have them deal with it, and you should avoid rolling with them in the future.

3. He knew you tapped and held the submission anyway because you were greenlit and he was teaching you a lesson: this is the least likely possibility, but if you're rolling too hard with smaller people, younger people, or inexperienced people, SOME gyms will send a shark after you to hurt you. It's fucked up if they do this before talking to you about your tendencies, and usually it's just a mauling rather than not letting go of submissions, but it does happen. You should still talk to the instructor even if this is the case to find out how you can not act like a spazz gorilla.

I think it's reason 3. I do a lot of the stand-up classes in that gym, and he could quite possibly have wanted to teach me a lesson in Jiu-Jitsu. Still, it wasn't nice.

You're a week in. You are probably flailing around like a fish out water, kneeing or elbowing him or other people. I would never hold a submission too long but you would get a knee on belly until you calmed the fuck down and not flail around like a fucking idiot. If you continued to flail around we would have to repeat this process for my safety.

An important question, since you're so new, is if you were actually in a submission when you tapped or where you just tapping because you were terrified/exhausting/extremely uncomfortable. Because if you were in a sub, he probably just didn't notice you tapping, especially if it wasn't fully locked in. And if you weren't in a sub, he probably didn't think you were tapping. After you train for awhile you get used to looking for the tap at certain points when applying a submission, so you generally let go instantly when you feel it. But if you're not in a position where another trained guy would normally tap, you're not looking for the tap so it's much harder to recognize when it comes. Especially if you're rolling with someone who's flailing around and 'tapping' you constantly with his hands just trying to figure out what to do. So make sure you're really assertive with your taps.

An important question, since you're so new, is if you were actually in a submission when you tapped or where you just tapping because you were terrified/exhausting/extremely uncomfortable. Because if you were in a sub, he probably just didn't notice you tapping, especially if it wasn't fully locked in. And if you weren't in a sub, he probably didn't think you were tapping. After you train for awhile you get used to looking for the tap at certain points when applying a submission, so you generally let go instantly when you feel it. But if you're not in a position where another trained guy would normally tap, you're not looking for the tap so it's much harder to recognize when it comes. Especially if you're rolling with someone who's flailing around and 'tapping' you constantly with his hands just trying to figure out what to do. So make sure you're really assertive with your taps.
Lol. Uchi with the really thought out posts. I really need to come train with you guys.

I think it's reason 3. I do a lot of the stand-up classes in that gym, and he could quite possibly have wanted to teach me a lesson in Jiu-Jitsu. Still, it wasn't nice.
Had a similar situation. First hour was kickboxing training and we ended with sparring. I've got good control but still managed to manhandle, clinch fuck and head kick my sparring partner in our round together.

Next hour was jiu jitsu. Same partner starts teaching the class and we go over
Some technique that is way over my head. We finish with rolling and he tapped me out at least a dozen times in our two rounds. It was all friendly and good natured but he clearly knew who the big dog was

Back