What Squat Are You?

No, I’m just a lil bitch that doesn’t like heavy weight compressing my spine. I tried this variation and liked it.

Ok gotcha. lol I read zercher was good for wrestlers. Thought maybe you were in some type of grappling sport. Thanks for the input.

Back squats. I used to front squat a lot more, but I've made my biggest gains on front squats without training it. How? Increasing my back squat. Basically if my back squat goes up, my front will go up with it.

I heard that too and tried them and found them SO UNCOMFORTABLE. Maybe I should do them, but... meh.

I don't have that much weight on me so the bend in the elbow isn't padded much. lol. It does suck after awhile in terms of comfort; like a mental game more than an exercise. The back squat is one thing; I've got traps. That bend is bare, just tendons. lol

Safety Bar Box Squat. Had some knee issues a couple of years ago. Switched to this and, since it worked, just kept doing it.

Safety Bar Box Squat. Had some knee issues a couple of years ago. Switched to this and, since it worked, just kept doing it.

Doing these to a 17 inch box with 333lbs, sumo stance for sets of 8 on my dynamic lower day. They absolutely destroy.

I have to stick to goblit squats unfortunately. I cannot rest the bar right in front of my chest right or along my traps.shoulders on the back squat.
I enjoy the range of motion of the goblit but can only hold one plate doing so.

Just squats and front squats now, but looking forward to do the double Kettlebell front squat in the future when I plateau, it's is very underrated for core strength and mobility

Just squats and front squats now, but looking forward to do the double Kettlebell front squat in the future when I plateau, it's is very underrated for core strength and mobility

I haven't too much tried kettlebells for squats. What do they provide for you that is different from what you get using the barbell?

I haven't too much tried kettlebells for squats. What do they provide for you that is different from what you get using the barbell?
Since the weight is located closer to center, it seems to work core stability a lot more, and also the upper back (thoracic spine) instead using the collarbone to frame against with the regular bar.

Try it, I think you will be surprised how much "prettier" your standard back squats will look after using kettlebells, due to improved core strength and mobility.

Since the weight is located closer to center, it seems to work core stability a lot more, and also the upper back (thoracic spine) instead using the collarbone to frame against with the regular bar.

Try it, I think you will be surprised how much "prettier" your standard back squats will look after using kettlebells, due to improved core strength and mobility.

Okay thanks for this. I will try them out for sure.

Wide-stance, lowbar for the peaking block, because I lift most weight that way.

High bar, medium stance for hypertrophy and strength blocks, because it's easier on my wrists, shoulders and a bunch of muscles in my legs. And just generally more comfortable, really.

Front squat max attempts parallel to back squats during the peaking block, and only then (mostly for fun, obviously). My technique is non-existent and I did injure my wrists/elbows a bit this last block, but what are you going to do, not train?

Back squats. I used to front squat a lot more, but I've made my biggest gains on front squats without training it. How? Increasing my back squat. Basically if my back squat goes up, my front will go up with it.

Yup.

Back squats only. What's the advantage of front squats?

Acceptable supplemental lift for the back squat, if you're feeling beat up. I wouldn't use it for that purpose (likely to strain wrists, elbows etc cause you're doing it wrong, can't use heavy weights, hard to get volume in), but to each his own.

Might be a tool to teach yourself to put the load more on your quads during the back squat, if you feel you need to work towards that (but meh, I wouldn't try to learn it that way).

And avantgarde theory: it might help improve the overhead press since you more or less train the ohp start position but with much, much heavier weights. Same goes for push press.

Of course the front squat has all sorts of advantages over the back squat if you're training for weightlifting, but I don't know anything about that.

Last edited:

More quad dominant if you're aiming to bring them up, greater stability required to keep the weight in the front rack position which indirectly works your thoracic spinal erectors and abdominals, easier to start with for those who don't have the shoulder mobility for a proper back squat(low bar in particular).

I know my form is a lot more strict(because it has to be) with front squats which humbles me and keeps me from ego lifting.

Acceptable supplemental lift for the back squat, if you're feeling beat up. I wouldn't use it for that purpose (likely to strain wrists, elbows etc cause you're doing it wrong, can't use heavy weights, hard to get volume in), but to each his own.

Might be a tool to teach yourself to put the load more on your quads during the back squat, if you feel you need to work towards that (but meh, I wouldn't try to learn it that way).

And avantgarde theory: it might help improve the overhead press since you more or less train the ohp start position but with much, much heavier weights. Same goes for push press.

Of course the front squat has all sorts of advantages over the back squat if you're training for weightlifting, but I don't know anything about that.

You are very informed my friend. lol Do you participate in any sort of weightlifting competitions?

Not to hijack, but anybody performing overhead squats in here, and if so what carryover/improvements have you noticed?

Back