What Paths to Victory Does Rockhold Have Against Romero?

rockhold is patient and picks him apart from the outside and wears him down - romero fades by rd 3 luke doesnt. plus luke has his ground game to fall back on. he may be able to get a late sub finish if he can takedown an exhausted romero in the title rounds

rock by late sub or dec

I heavily favor Luke, I think it will be a one sided fight with Luke choking him out. Romero is too old now and the size difference will be comical, people think Romero is big and strong will be surprised.. Luke will throw him around I reckon and get top position and then finish him.

My memory is hazy but I recall Jacare keeping him flattened for the better part of a round. TBH I think Luke is in the same league in terms of MMA top game.

He could get him down, the only way would be to clinch off the fence imo.

Rockhold gnp or sub. Romero is a miserable guy to matchup against. You have to be the best at one thing and be exceptional everywhere to stand a chance, because he is so explosive. If i favor 1 fighter to beat him on a consistent basis it is Luke. Love this fight man, cant wait!

He's gotta work to keep distance. He's got a big reach advantage, especially if he uses some kicks

romero does have chances, depends if luke has the right gameplan, or if cocky luke shows up it could be a short night ala bisping

Romero is getting old and has questionable gas tank.

Luke wins this and then beats Whittaker.

Pleeeease, for the love of God, let Rockhold duck into a Romero flying knee.

There's also a chance that said chance spikes at some point toward the end of the fight, usually in the form of spontaneous flying knee.

Low chances, Chris made that knee famous now and Luke will avoid it not to mention you kinda need to dive on a single to get it cause Luke is a giant for the division 6'3 or even close to 6'4.

Rockhold needs to make use of his ranginess to keep Romero on the outside. Mix it up between teeps and hands and don't get timed and KTFO'd like Weidman. (Yes, the Chris was winning until he lost).

Romero is hittable and his cardio is not great to say the least. If Luke can keep him on the outside and pick him apart and force Yoel to shoot, he can decision him or get a late stoppage. If Rockhold does get taken down, he needs to threaten off his back immediately and make Romero work for anything he gets.

Romero is a beast, but his age and his cardio should (on paper only) make this Luke's fight to lose.

Buuuuut Luke has done some dumb shit before and gotten caught before, so...we'll see.

Lukes too big for him. Romero's gonna gas hard and get tko'd. He'll be done but try to dispute the finish. Similar to Aldo Holloway

Rockhold has every path to victory - ko, sub, decision.

This is his fight to lose.

He outpoints Romero everywhere this fight takes place and does it with heavy shots like the division's most powerful body kicks and a dangerous top game. Even if Romero gets a takedown, and that' a big if since Luke has a huge size advantage, he won't be able to do anything with it.

Romero's only chance is a 2 second explosion finishing Luke off. That sounds really gay. It's his only chance but it could definitely happen.

I don't care who you are, if Rockhold gets you on the ground you're in a world of hurt. Elite BJJ and elite top control. Entirely possible he can finish or sub Romero on the ground.

Outside of a flying knee or some flashy strike that hurts and finishes Luke I dont see a path to victory for Romero.

Romero's only chance is a 2 second explosion finishing Luke off. That sounds really gay. It's his only chance but it could definitely happen.

Romero by X-rated finish?

<{Joewithit}>

He just has to take the fight past round 2 and romero will be done. Romero relies on one shot way too much and isnt a very techinical fighter. Once he gasses and doesnt get a KO hes easy to beat.

Luke will probably finish him in the later rounds

Back