What Paths to Victory Does Rockhold Have Against Romero?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
Stylistically this is just as hard of a fight for Luke as Whittaker, maybe even more so. Unlike Whittaker who has exceptional TDD but a relatively underutilized ground game, Romero is incredibly proficient on the ground and super hard to control. Even if Eockhold gets a body lock I don't see him getting Romero down or keeping him there.

Rockhold will also give up a speed advantage and has the lesser boxing between the two. If Romero connects clean he can KO Luke. So this begs the question, what paths to victory does Luke have to take to win this fight?

We have seen Romero taken down before.

If Luke can tire him out who knows what can happen.

Romero seems to like to pace himself so Luke pushing a decent pace could catch him off guard.

Also who knows when Romero starts looking that 40.

The most likely result is a decision win for Luke.

Underdog Romero with a TKO win that goes down in chances with every round.

Rockhold is way more technical on the feet, Romero fades, Rockhold doesn't. Rockhold is a huge middleweight to, height and reach will be big advantages. Rockhold via decision.

He has to keep his hands up and not become the punching bag he likes to be.

We have seen Romero taken down before.

If Luke can tire him out who knows what can happen.

Romero seems to like to pace himself so Luke pushing a decent pace could catch him off guard.

Also who knows when Romero starts looking that 40.

We've seen him taken down plenty, we however have not seen him held down that I can recall. Romero doesn't give af if you take him down, he always knows he can just explode up.

We've seen him taken down plenty, we however have not seen him held down that I can recall. Romero doesn't give af if you take him down, he always knows he can just explode up.

Yep he is really hard to hold down, he is really skilled at wrestling and confident he can shake you off so he doesn't stress that much about TDD and awareness he will fight you for it of course especially if he knows you are looking for that (the Chris fight) but he won't quit if you get him down there he will just pop back up and you will have to restart everything from scratch.

Just keep distance, do some kicks do some punches and protect that chin he should be able to get 3 rounds in the score cards at the end of it. I really don't see anyone getting finished here, the strong area of Luke's game won't be accessed.. if a high level wrestler doesn't wanna engage on the ground and neither of them are this striking geniuses so this will be some sloppy kickboxing fight that will hit the judges scoring cards.

bigger fighter with better conditioning...

he's gotta keep Romero on the outside at the end of his kicks and straight punches or tie up with him chest to chest where he will wear Yoel out even if he's the lesser wrestler

Catching a tired Romero
Liver kick
Guillotine on Romero’s TD attempts
Sprawl and sweep to top control
48-47 after Romero slows down

Very true, which makes me wonder if that will be lukes game plan to try and make Romero work.

But it's not like Rockhold has a Whittaker gas tank so...

I dno hard fight to pick both are very skilled.

Decision, KO, and submission.

Not being cheeky here, those are 3 legitimate paths to victory for Luke considering how skilled his on the stand-up and on the ground.

Romero has the boxing advantage? Is it really relevant when it's by a minimal margin?

Romeros hands aren't anything exceptional. He pot shots, relys on his explosiveness which fades even when he paces himself. If Rockhold pushes a pace Yoel will be sucking wind before the end of the 2nd like in his fights with Kennedy and Brunson.

Ofcourse Yoel is the king of hail Marys in MMA so anything can happen with his KO power.

But I favor Luke via leg kicks and body kicks and pace. If he gets Yoel down he will do better than most imo his BJJ is just on another level and he is very physical.

What?

Romero's 1- or 2-round gas tank. Obviously.

seems like he matches up well everywhere to me. he can let his strikes go without worrying about the td because hes nasty on the ground and can very well sub yoel there.

Cardio

If Rockhold can weather the storm of a fresh Romero, it may be an easy coast to a TKO or a UD for Rockhold. However, judging by how Rockhold has yet to change his striking defense technique, Romero might land a devastating shot and depending how fresh Romero is, he could put Rockhold out cold.

The most likely result is a decision win for Luke.

Underdog Romero with a TKO win that goes down in chances with every round.

There's also a chance that said chance spikes at some point toward the end of the fight, usually in the form of spontaneous flying knee.

My memory is hazy but I recall Jacare keeping him flattened for the better part of a round. TBH I think Luke is in the same league in terms of MMA top game.

Steal his corner stool.

Seriously it’s a wannabe fight for Rockhold. He trains with DC, Cain and khabib and escapes the AKA injury.

Back