What is the absolute best use of CGI in modern movie making?

tumblr_o8b6s3iXMh1usdh1ko1_540.gif

Isn't this sort of a self-defeating task? If you couldn't tell, and you didn't find out about it through a "making of" video or something like that, then you'd simply never know.

The times where it's hardest to tell is when it's background CGI and stuff that almost flawlessly blends into the natural environment (basically just touch ups and blending) though it's not all perfect. But CGI in the foreground that's front and center is ridiculously easy to spot. I'd say just about as easy as spotting claymation in older films. They both stand out like a sore thumb. Though for some reason I find claymation to be infinitely less offensive.

I can still tell it's cgi, tbh.
hqdefault.jpg

PLANET OF THE APES? You a cotdamn lie. You can tell? Which parts?

And what kind of rig are you running? CGI can sometimes look seriously out of place depending on the equipment. Are you talking about in the theater? Answer me. I ache to destroy you.

LOTR still kills it IMO

Mad Max Fury Road nailed it.

Fantastic effects in Fury Road.

There was tonnes of environmental CGI in the Wolf of Wall Street that I didn't even notice.

except for that one part when he does that jumping roll off the truck. hahaha..that was like some Alien 3 levels of 90s cgi
Alien 3 had fuck all cgi the scenes were it runs is a rod puppet. The only cgi is the cracks on the costume head and some added to the assembly cut years later
alien3.jpg

Nolan blends practical and cgi really well

Gollum is still the best performance of a CGI character by some way.

Alien 3 had fuck all cgi the scenes were it runs is a rod puppet. The only cgi is the cracks on the costume head and some added to the assembly cut years later
alien3.jpg

Nolan blends practical and cgi really well
Wow, really? One of the criticisms levelled at this movie is how "fake" the "CGI" dog alien looks when he's running through the tunnel eating the convicts at the end..

been awhile since a I watched it but remember ex machina had good cgi
exmachina.jpg

Wow, really? One of the criticisms levelled at this movie is how "fake" the "CGI" dog alien looks when he's running through the tunnel eating the convicts at the end..
yeah huge misconception it was a new technique they tried but never took off, think they filmed the puppet with the same camera shots then put the puppet over the shot film. theres shots of the queen alien in avp that uses the same or similar technique too. actually looking at the alien if it was cgi its would of been way ahead of its time in actual detail
ali3n5625.jpg

Actually speaking of Gollum...I also thought Azog was a great cgi character. Dude was mean as shit,and seemed also like a real person.

tumblr_mg9e1glrxK1rkryveo3_500.gif

tumblr_mg1k6uAHBm1rkryveo3_500.gif

The times where it's hardest to tell is when it's background CGI and stuff that almost flawlessly blends into the natural environment (basically just touch ups and blending) though it's not all perfect. But CGI in the foreground that's front and center is ridiculously easy to spot. I'd say just about as easy as spotting claymation in older films. They both stand out like a sore thumb. Though for some reason I find claymation to be infinitely less offensive.

Ironic from the man/woman with a T2 avatar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back