What is purpose of Jones stomp/side kicks? They don't do damage and probably don't score either.

Jack Slack talked about it in one of his older articles. Using guys like Belfort, Rampage and Shogun as examples it’s a great strike for keeping dangerous opponents at range in the striking because if your opponent stands straight on with their knee pointed towards you they can’t blitz through it. At bare minimum it stops them from moving forward and if you time it right you can screw up the way they time their blitzes.

He goes on to point out that this was one of the reasons Gus gave him so much trouble in their first fight because Gus kept a bladed stance throughout most of the bout and utilized lots of lateral movement. His movement made it difficult for Jones to land anything straight on since moving side to side meant they would just skip past him and his bladed stance meant that when they did land his lead leg was turned enough that it never connected in the same way.

I won’t rewrite the article here, this is just what I remember off the top of my head but it’s a pretty interesting read and your post brought it to mind. It’s not a perfect strike and certainly has its counters but I think it worked out pretty well for him during his run.

Back