What is harder: becoming double champ or multiple title defenses?

Dumb logic

How many guys have even tried to win belts in 2 weight classes?

Compare that to how many have succeeded.

How is it dumb?

There have been so few because of the inherent difficulty...

Simple logic. If it was easy every champ would attempt it if they could make the weight

How is it dumb?

There have been so few because of the inherent difficulty...

Simple logic. If it was easy every champ would attempt it if they could make the weight

I will repeat it hopefully more clearly this time

How many champions have attempted to go up or down in weight to win another belt?

Answer that question than compare that to how many actually won

I'd say the one with the fewest successes would be the hardest.

Plenty of guys with multiple title defenses, matt hughes, chuck liddell, Anderson Silva, mighty mouse etc.

How many guys have won titles in two divisions?

Not just about winning but also being successful in a different weight class
Well Dana wouldn't let anyone move up or down as champion that often until Conor came into the picture, cause seems once you're champion you some how can become an instant title Challenger without previously fighting in the division.

Getting to the top is easier. You can have a good path to get there by beating nobodies and being popular.

Staying on top is much harder. Once you're there, you *should* be fighting the #1 contender every time. No more easy fights unless the UFC throws an unworthy contender a bone.

Circumstances are everything. The conditions of consistently defending a title seem less favorable to me, assuming you're taking on the very best your division has to offer.

Based on the criteria that's been set to becoming a double champ, you just have to win 1 fight. You don't have to run through a gauntlet of contenders for that 2nd belt. It's incredibly selective.

Well Dana wouldn't let anyone move up or down as champion that often until Conor came into the picture, cause seems once you're champion you some how can become an instant title Challenger without previously fighting in the division.

You mean other than BJ Penn right ?

Getting to the top is easier. You can have a good path to get there by beating nobodies and being popular.

Staying on top is much harder. Once you're there, you *should* be fighting the #1 contender every time. No more easy fights unless the UFC throws an unworthy contender a bone.
They have been doing that a fair bit though, either by design or due to injuries. In any case, all a champ can do is beat the guys they put in front of him.

It’s easy to win a belt

Much harder to defend it

nothing more anti climatic way to end a thread than the very first post nailing the answer.
obligatory / thread.
there you have your answer TS
good thread nonetheless

I don't know, really just depends on the division the fighter is in.

DC had to face Stipe Miocic, who was the most successful HW champ of all time.

Conor had to fight Eddie, who many were saying was a bad match up for him. I still think a defense against Aldo or Edgar would've been tougher.

I think it's harder to become a 2 weight division champ as you go up higher in the weight classes.

Stipe seemed like an easier fight after the 1st round KO, but nobody else could run through him during his title reign. (Until DC)
View attachment 437709

On the flipside, DC was essentially only a double weight champ for "re-winning" the belt by beating Volkan, which doesn't really mean much.

It’s easy to win a belt

Much harder to defend it

It's much harder to beat the #1 fighter in a division you've never/infrequently fought in than it is to beat number #2-10 in the weight class you're most comfortable in and have already likely torn through on your way to the top.

It depends of the weight class and how hard the competition is . For example, mighty mouse should never be included in the goat talk when his weight class is as shallow as Wmma. Most teenagers can't make that weight, let alone adults.

Its like they say, u arent a true champ until u defend it.

I think fighting in different weight classes is harder. Sometimes a fighter has a size advantage at one weight class and it helps offset any skill deficiencies they might have had versus fighters in the weight class. When they move up in weight they tend to negate that advantage of height or being a good weight cutter

Conor fought two much shorter strikers at a severe reach disadvantage to win both of his titles. Stylistically favorable matchups.

It would be much more difficult to keep knocking off number 1 contenders than to pick and choose which champs you want to take down.

GSP is doing that right now as well, but he also had a shitload of title defenses and has earned it in his golden years.
So you keep discrediting Conor because his title wins were against stylistically easy fights , yet openly gag on khabibs cock (something he would behead you for irl) because he is a stylistic nightmare for Conor?
Keep having your public meltdown and on oct 7th I'll put you to bed for good

I will repeat it hopefully more clearly this time

How many champions have attempted to go up or down in weight to win another belt?

Answer that question than compare that to how many actually won

why didn't more champions go for a 2nd one if its so much easier than defending?

Checkmate.

First off double champ means reigning champ in two divisions at the same time. Two division champ means having won belts in two different weight classes (but that may not be at the same time).

Second the question really depends on the number of defenses and quality of division vs the quality of champ of the second division.

DC is the only fighter to have both and I think in this case his claim to fame is being the two division champion and not his 3 successful LHW defenses despite 2/3 being over Rumble and Gus.

This is more of a testament to Stipe and his run, had DC beat Jones, it would be clear that the win over Jones would have overshadowed his success in all other fights.

Multiple title defenses is a lot harder in the long run. First you have to fight through the division to become champion. Then you have to defend it with all the weight being on your shoulders. Eventually you'll come across a guy who isn't a favourable match up for you and you are forced to fight him.

Double champion is just as hard if you had to work your way up the division. But that's not the case most of the time (every single time). People who have historically fought for a 2nd title gets to by pass the whole division. Throw in a stylistic match up and your odds are far better.

Remember a double champion is all about opportunity. No champion is going to move up or down to fight another champion if he doesn't think his chances are good-great.

Last edited:
Back