What is harder: becoming double champ or multiple title defenses?

To me I think being a reigning champ is much harder. You have a list of contenders who are studying your game and you have a target on your back for years. At the same time, I feel like DC’s path to double champ is pretty difficult considering the consequences of one mistake at LHW and HW. What say you?

Being a 2 division champ is harder cause you need to lick some major boldfather ass in order to get the chance to do so.

Other than that aspect, though, fighting another champ is kinda the same as being a champ and fighting the no.1 contender. In both cases you fight the best fighter in a division that isn't yourself.
So imo beating another champ is kinda equal to a single title defense.

Remember the ufc gave mcnugget his 155 title shot on a silver platter

You would have way more double champs if the ufc gave people the chance.

Defending the belt multiple times is way more legit

Depends on the circumstances. Whitaker going up and beating DC would be more impressive than defending against gastelum then weidman imo.

But Woodley adding Colby then usman would be more impressive then if he had kod bisping.

I think if conor had beat aldo again, then Edgar, and maybe a prepared Mendes. It would have been more impressive than beating Alvarez.

Cormier beating stipe was more impressi e than beating any 10 people in the shit division that lhw is. Other than jbj...

Definitely multiple title defenses. You have to earn those defenses through hard work and time. These "double champs" are all fast tracked in divisions that they haven't proven themselves in and haven't earned their shot in the traditional way of hard work and time.

Conor fought two much shorter strikers at a severe reach disadvantage to win both of his titles. Stylistically favorable matchups.

It would be much more difficult to keep knocking off number 1 contenders than to pick and choose which champs you want to take down.

GSP is doing that right now as well, but he also had a shitload of title defenses and has earned it in his golden years.
He also got a gifted title shot at 55, without even fighting one time there. This is after going 1-1 against Nate Fkn Diaz. Waaaay easier than having to fight to contention....

It just depends on the circumstances. If you were to ask me what was more impressive; Conor becoming a double champ or Mighty Mouse defending his title; to me no question its Conor. Mighty Mouse was fighting nobody. If you were to compare GSP's or Anderson's title runs to Conor's winning two championships, by light years its Anderson and GSP.

Plus you have to consider the promotional aspect of it. Conor has had opportunities that other fighters haven't gotten due to his mic skills. Plus, a lot of guys forget the history of the weight classes in the UFC. UFC didn't have 145 until that long ago. 155 and 185 were dissolved for a while as well. BJ would have been a double champ 15-16 years ago if 145 and 155 existed back then.

To me I think being a reigning champ is much harder. You have a list of contenders who are studying your game and you have a target on your back for years. At the same time, I feel like DC’s path to double champ is pretty difficult considering the consequences of one mistake at LHW and HW. What say you?

Depends if you're asking moronic Sherdoggers that have this belief beating non-champions is more difficult than beating the champion, or actual legitimate people or at least ones with some common sense that realize going up in weight and fighting a tougher opponent is more difficult than some mythical title-defense BS.

It just depends on the circumstances. If you were to ask me what was more impressive; Conor becoming a double champ or Mighty Mouse defending his title; to me no question its Conor. Mighty Mouse was fighting nobody. If you were to compare GSP's or Anderson's title runs to Conor's winning two championships, by light years its Anderson and GSP.

Plus you have to consider the promotional aspect of it. Conor has had opportunities that other fighters haven't gotten due to his mic skills. Plus, a lot of guys forget the history of the weight classes in the UFC. UFC didn't have 145 until that long ago. 155 and 185 were dissolved for a while as well. BJ would have been a double champ 15-16 years ago if 145 and 155 existed back then.

It would have been a meaningless belt no doubt, and BJ is deflated AF at 145 anyways. Plus, he got a shot at to be double champ and lost. Enough with the "only Conor gets chances BS". It's not true. He's just the only one that's been able to back it all up.

And no two single fights on MM or GSP's resume are as impressive as Conor's two title fights. If you've got 10 fights though, of course that's going to be better than 2. It's 5x as many. But you disrespecting MM's competition is a joke too. He's faced a lot of tough competition, and deserves to be in GOAT talks as well.

Double champ as you are generally going to be at a size disadvantage (unless moving down) and won't be acclimatized to that weight class on your first outing.
No way was Eddie Alvarez an easier fight for Conor than Aldo/Edgar. I honestly think Edgar would be one of Conor's easiest fights and obviously with Aldo he has his number mentally. Good win by DC too, beating Stipe was more impressive than defending the LHW title multiple times.

It’s easy to win a belt

Much harder to defend it

LMAO. True, back in the day everyone said it was easier to beat Mike Tyson than for him to beat on some lower ranked mortals.
Question was becoming double champ btw, which was impossible before Conor changed the game.

LMAO. True, back in the day everyone said it was easier to beat Mike Tyson than for him to beat on some lower ranked mortals.
Question was becoming double champ btw, which was impossible before Conor changed the game.
{<BJPeen}

As allmost all things in life you can't answer that easily. It depends on the context.

I think DCs accomplishments is way better than Conors. He defended several times and beat the most dominant HW champ of all time.

Conor had an easy road to the TS IMO beat Aldo fair and square (could also be a lucky punch ala Cain vs JDS I), then lost to Nate, won a close majority and won against Eddie who himself only got the TS after two split decisions and with 0 defenses.

I think defending ala GSP or AS is harder than Conors road but less impressive than DC.

Champ(Belt)<
Defending Champ(Belt defense)<
Double Champ(two belts)<
Defending Champ+Double Champ(two belts defended one)<
Defending Double Champ(Two belts both defended)<
Triple Champ(three belts)
So far GSP and DC are kings of titles

Clearly multiple defences.

Consistency is king.

Double champ depends on being in Dana's good books vastly more than it does on ability.

Fun fact:
There have been 88 UFC Champions(not counting interim)
32 with defenses
5 multi-division champs (Penn,Couture,Mcgregor,GSP,DC)
2 simultaneous multi-division champs
(Mcgregor,DC)
4 multi-division champs that have defended one belt
(Couture,DC,Penn,GSP)
Zero multi-division champs that have defended both belts
Zero triple champs

Will GSP or Mcgregor be the first triple champ?
Will DC be the first to defend both belts?
Fun times my friends.

Last edited:
It just depends on the competition, simple as that. I'd be more impressed with TJ Dillashaw being double champ than Henry defending his belt multiple times.

I'd be more impressed if TJ went up, I don't find it as impressive if you're the number one guy at a weightclass and decide to go after the belt in the class below.

Back