What is going on with Razor Ruddock

Mug

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

I know it's an old video but nothing seems right here, his punches his upright stance, muscles look as if they are jiggling and even when he brings his guard up.

It almost looks like he is recovering from a stroke and hasn't gained full control of his muscles yet.

1 - He's 51 years old in that video and in addition to that probably rusty as fuck

2 - His left looks like he possibly has some type of shoulder injury, impingement, dysfunction...maybe the cause is even in his hip

3 - A lot of professional boxers don't look textbook like on the heavy bag

razor always threw weird angle, slappy punches.

He does that uppercut/hook hybrid thing at 0:10.He always had a weird stance

His jabs look a bit off.

He looks like a monster here still though. How old is he in the vid?

ro.jpg

I remember seeing that he was KO'ed stiff by a no hoper in his comeback fight.

Found it.

I know he's old, but he looks so bad it's almost comical. The way he went down looks like he was acting or threw the fight.

I remember seeing that he was KO'ed stiff by a no hoper in his comeback fight.
He actually won his comeback fight and was knocked out in the second fight iirc

he looks pretty bad, but he's still got some power. truth is, he never was that good of a fighter, big "smash" left hook, poor stamina, vulnerable chin. Tyson ruined him, they both took a bit out of each other. those of you talking about how weird he looks, he always did look strange, ungainly, uncoordinated, he looks a little weirder admittedly. Honestly, it's making me question if my own diminishing abilities are why I'm not responding to training or if it's just the excess fat on my gut. But usually, older fighters still look deadly on a heavy bag, he just looks weird. and he's not even much heavier than he used to be and he looks flabby as hell, no muscle tone. he could still knock the hell out of the average joe though.

I know it's an old video but nothing seems right here, his punches his upright stance, muscles look as if they are jiggling and even when he brings his guard up.

It almost looks like he is recovering from a stroke and hasn't gained full control of his muscles yet.

Razor Rudduck always fought like that even when he was young. He never threw a dam Jab it was all power punches.

He just hits like a Mac truck even if he slaps you or But he is slapping more. Plus he might have bad hands maybe that's why hes slapping more

I would say bad brittle hands like Mayweather Hes slapping so he doesn't hurt his hands.

Hes been punching people in the head almost all his life his hands are probably brittle as hell and hurt really bad when he punches now. So now he has to slap but to stay in shape he hits the heavy bag.

But if he slapped you he probably could knock you out even a heavyweight.

If the man had a jab took his time boxed more had better footwork and went to the body like a killer, didn't lead with wide punches worked on his defense I don't think you could beat him.

Because he had great stamina but he had no defense and he leaded with wide hooks punches were way to wide. Hands down or wide apart. Just very bad habits.

Found it.

I know he's old, but he looks so bad it's almost comical. The way he went down looks like he was acting or threw the fight.

thats just sad

alex wallau said he was a stick and move fighter earlier in his career, I never saw those fights but I guess at one point he was more of a boxer. He did have courage, there weren't too many fighters in that era who let tyson know that they had no fear of him. I thought he got way too much credit for the first tyson fight and that the second one wasn't really necessary, tyson was clearly the better fighter but just because ruddock hurt him once or twice people thought he had a chance. Then, when he fought Lewis people actually thought he could win, Lewis finished up what tyson had started for the most part. Heavyweights generally aren't that coordinated or skillful, it's a division where brawn and power sometimes overcome skill. Usually the cream of the crop do have superior skill and coordination, historically.

Always thought the fix was in for the Lewis fight.
If that was a dive then Ruddock is a hell of an actor. Nobody falls like he did at the end of the first round unless they're hurt bad. Plus he could have stayed down and nobody would have questioned it.

He got old. You'll get there, hopefully.

He got old. You'll get there, hopefully.
yes he is but i've seen lots of fighters that age look a lot better. I'd bet tyson would look maybe 75 percent as good as he used to until he got tired. I remember when i was a kid, i had a trainer, not much bigger than I was at the time, mexican guy, about 115, 50 years old or so and he would impress me with his skills. A lot of it depends on how much maintenance a guy does, I've seen footage of chuck norris in his 40's and he looked great, then I saw some of him in his fifties and he looked awful, what caused that I don't know but I tend to think that he just stopped training.
with my own training, it's hard for me to gauge, I think i don't have good snap in my punches because of the bag I'm using, but i'd have to hit some other bags to see if it's the bag or if it's me. I can't jump rope for shit because I'm too heavy but I don't feel like i've lost my coordination, I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I realize how in denial we are so I'm well aware of that. what possesses fighters to come back like they do is really beyond me. Most of the ones that I'm aware of end up badly depressed after a beating, happened to ali with holmes, SRL said he went through years of depression after the camacho fight, Arguello never got away from the depression.

yes he is but i've seen lots of fighters that age look a lot better. I'd bet tyson would look maybe 75 percent as good as he used to until he got tired. I remember when i was a kid, i had a trainer, not much bigger than I was at the time, mexican guy, about 115, 50 years old or so and he would impress me with his skills. A lot of it depends on how much maintenance a guy does, I've seen footage of chuck norris in his 40's and he looked great, then I saw some of him in his fifties and he looked awful, what caused that I don't know but I tend to think that he just stopped training.
with my own training, it's hard for me to gauge, I think i don't have good snap in my punches because of the bag I'm using, but i'd have to hit some other bags to see if it's the bag or if it's me. I can't jump rope for shit because I'm too heavy but I don't feel like i've lost my coordination, I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I realize how in denial we are so I'm well aware of that. what possesses fighters to come back like they do is really beyond me. Most of the ones that I'm aware of end up badly depressed after a beating, happened to ali with holmes, SRL said he went through years of depression after the camacho fight, Arguello never got away from the depression.

Agreed, looking good or not while getting old depends on many parameters. He got old, and doesn't.

Back