What (if any) fights do you think could surpass the million ppv buy mark...

The UFC is in decline. There is no getting around that. There are other factors, but they pale in comparison to the UFC lacking star power and popularity

You have to have stars that draw in casual (and thus far more numerous fans). The UFC just isn't as interesting these days.

PPV model is fine if you have those that draw buys fighting. People keep mentioning Mayweather/Pac, but that is silly because that is so exceptional. How many other PPV's draw that much? I do agree with the article on the Sherdog main page, though, that over the long haul, moving towards regular TV is what will benefit the most in terms of staying power for the sport.

Last edited:
GSP vs Diaz definitely won't crack the 1 million mark. it hasn't the first time and it definitely won't do it this time when we've already seen the fight and the Diaz bros have been out of the the sport for so long. I would expect the fight to do like 500k buys and most of those you would have to give GSP the credit for.
The Diaz bros are a thing of the past

GSP vs Diaz definitely won't crack the 1 million mark. it hasn't the first time and it definitely won't do it this time when we've already seen the fight and the Diaz bros have been out of the the sport for so long. I would expect the fight to do like 500k buys and most of those you would have to give GSP the credit for.
The Diaz bros are a thing of the past

I would argue that the star power of the Diaz brothers is at an all time high regardless of their inactivity.

The reason for the decline in PPV is the number of events has grown so much that fans do not have to pay to watch great fights anymore. Last weekend was a perfect example, Ultimate Fighter Finale on Friday and Miocic vs. Cormier on Saturday. You can only watch so much UFC before you are kicked out of the house.

The number events in the past few months:
upload_2018-7-12_7-34-40.png

I would argue that the star power of the Diaz brothers is at an all time high regardless of their inactivity.

I would argue that like 90% of today's mma fans have never seen a Nick Diaz fight live.

NOT involving McG?

The ‘SuperFight’ is now being reported to have done less than 400k, which is insane given that same card would have done double that just 5 years ago.

There is a drastic decline in ppv buys so what fights do you think could hit that million mark TODAY?

I think the following could do it:

1- Brock vs DC.

2- Brock vs Bones.

3- Cyborg vs Ronda.

4- Gsp vs a Diaz

Ask this same question 5 & 10 years ago and this list would have been at least twice as long.

If we speak of fights that have more than a 10% chance of happening, I’d say none. I don’t think DC vs Brock will beat the mil. That said I am not american so I might underestimate Brock’s popularity.

ppv system is not dying, do we even remeber last year and Floyd/McGregor?
UFC lacks fighters who can do all these things at once
- able to fight often (3 times per year)
- have any relations with the press
- are confident enough to actually show it, most of them are not confident enough and try to play safe, good guy etc.
- improving fitighting abilities so can win a lot
- charismatic enough to get some attention

Most of UFC champions are opposite to this.
Lmao bro... No

Interesting.

I seriously hope they DON’T go the ad route. The worst thing about TV is the ads, I don’t want the mood/vibe being interrupted by bullshit while I’m trying to enjoy a show.
They've already got the ads, but they'd reach a bigger audience and therefore get more money from the advertisers if all their stuff was free.

Or rather, if they released it themselves and had a way to calculate how may viewers the shows get. Their stuff is already free.

So you think it’s more a matter of people find ways around paying for a ppv rather than a fading interest in the sport?
I think it's a bit of both; Conor and Ronda(to a lesser extent) relatively recently brought a huge number of new fans, but now that both are gone/on hiatus, those fans lost interest and stopped watching, and even the older fans were gotten used to the excitement of the McG era, and now even they are probably leaving ppv and streaming, or even just ceasing watching ufc altogether. You can say a million bad things about Conor, but the excitement he brouth is head and shoulders above what the current ansamble of fighters bring.

Brock vs Cormier vs Jones in a triple threat ladder match with Gustafsson as the special guest referee.

GSP vs Conor might be the biggest money maker out there. GSP os still a big draw even if he’s not active.

Interesting.

I seriously hope they DON’T go the ad route. The worst thing about TV is the ads, I don’t want the mood/vibe being interrupted by bullshit while I’m trying to enjoy a show.

Have you seen a PPV recently? The PPV's are fucking riddled with ads. I'd pay double to watch the PPV with no ads.

Have you seen a PPV recently? The PPV's are fucking riddled with ads. I'd pay double to watch the PPV with no ads.

What I mean is commercial breaks. I can do with the ads as they are currently.

Brock vs Cormier vs Jones in a triple threat ladder match with Gustafsson as the special guest referee.
Plot twist:
Gus stubs his toe and refuses to ref since the ref can’t win the title.

1. Gay Jesus vs Yoel
  2. Brock vs Gus
  3. Jon vs Brock
  4. Gay Jesus vs Brock vs Yoel vs Jon vs Gus in deathmatch

GSP / Anderson Silva would be big numbers.

Good article. And it highlights the underlying problem. US.

Most people just care more about spectacle than sport. The people that have given Kim Kardashian a net worth of over $350 million and made millionaires out of the Jersey Shore douchebags are the ones driving the PPV bus.

For you to have a million plus PPV, either spectacle and sport need to collide, or the spectacle needs to be enormous.

Ronda is never coming back, GSPs future is still a mystery, Brock will likely fail a drug test. Conor is UFCs last hope.

Back