What gives the one-punch KO power?

A combination of genetic traits + technique

Genetic traits ranging from speed, mass, bone density, muscle density, body leverage, muscle type, and probably a shitload of other factors that I’m way too unqualified for to talk about or that science hasnt even figured out yet.

And technique in the sense of properly punching, timing, accuracy.

I’ve been training for the better part of my life and I’ve seen all sorts of body types generate punching power in their own special kind of way. Some that I identified that never disappoint:

- Fast twitch guys almost always have power but tend to fade pretty quickly.
- Burly dudes with big forearms and hands have that slow but thumping power.
- Lean wirey guys almost always hit hard. Especially when they have wide shoulders and know how to use their leverage.

Last edited:
Size of fists is one of the best predictors but some dudes with small hands can crack as well. It's such a lottery who can punch and who can't. Anyone who tells you they have the answer, hasn't spent that much time around people punching in a boxing gym.

bruh...my fists are Carwinesque but I don't hit THAT hard.

I've had my share of MMA sparings and sat people down with half-assed counterpunches but not that I noticed I'd have freak power.

Last edited:
- Lean wirey guys almost always hit hard. Especially when they have wide shoulders and know how to use their leverage.

interesting when I think about 3 Chakuriki fighters and what I learned from hanging out with Thom Harinck

- Manhoef, pure explosion and some of the most devastating P4P KO power Harinck said he ever witnessed.
- Peter Aerts - dude was an HW probably already as a teenager. Not the fastest guy and not the fastest starter, but he could crack and he was impervious to pain
- Badr - lean, lanky AF, he was like 200 lbs in his first HW fights, but he could crack hard, surprisingly hard.

There is a difference between guys that throw power punches, and guys that punch powerful.

First is Ngannou, Wilder, those types can KO a horse but they swing like a wild windmill.

Other thing is to have a powerful punch that doesnt need that huge wind up, like for instance Perreira, Mike Tyson, having the technique and ability to KO someone with a short well placed quick shot.

IMO i never considered guys with huge windmill overhands to be a powerful punchers. Any professional fighter can KO if he lands a swinging full force shot.

Ability to KO someone without the full swing IMO is what makes a power puncher. They throw from their feet, hips, rotation, all conected in one quick motion, arm itself moves a short distance but generates enormous power.

The last 2 lines are a bit confusing, lanky guys like some need that swing to generate the power, the Carwins of the world are born into it and just punch from their buttocks super hard without having to swing anything.

Both are KO power but they come from a different ....source, to say something.

The last 2 lines are a bit confusing, lanky guys like some need that swing to generate the power, the Carwins of the world are born into it and just punch from their buttocks super hard without having to swing anything.

Both are KO power but they come from a different ....source, to say something.

Yeah ofcourse, but i was trying to say, every pro fighter can KO someone if they recklessly swing full force and it hits the target. But not everyone can KO with a quick short punch. Thats pretty much sums up what i was trying to say :)

Force, mass (bigger fists = bigger bang), torque, technique, speed, accuracy, timing, genetics

I’m sure some of those are conflated but there you go

Also, the shot you don’t see coming is the one that has the highest chance of knocking you out.

Obviously the non-mysterious answer is that a kinetic chain determines punching power.

What is still confusing is how that one thing seems to be more determined by genetics and is less influenced by training. Practicing anything should make you better, but it doesn’t seem to make up the gap that chance/genetics introduces.
Just my opinion I think there's tasks and motions that are performed at a young age that burn a neurological pathway in the body that transfer to punching power technique. I don't mean to blow my own horn but I can punch hard (couldn't always land on people) and as a young child I did alot of shot put and discuss which led to the ability to transfer weight and pivot through my legs and hips.

probably bone density plus the ability to accelerate it with a powerful muscle. guys with bird bones would have to be extremely fast to produce a similar force to a heavily boned man

They are noob white belts on sherdog, that helps

A combination of genetic traits + technique

Genetic traits ranging from speed, mass, bone density, muscle density, body leverage, muscle type, and probably a shitload of other factors that I’m way too unqualified for to talk about or that science hasnt even figured out yet.

And technique in the sense of properly punching, timing, accuracy.

I’ve been training for the better part of my life and I’ve seen all sorts of body types generate punching power in their own special kind of way. Some that I identified that never disappoint:

good analysis !

Weight shift, just like hitting a homerun.

From my experience in boxing, not seeing a punch coming is key.
Other factors include the opponents resistance, chin, defence etc.
If you can see a punch coming, you can roll with it.
For an example, check out prime Wayne McCullagh and a fighter he trained, Librado Andrade. Former SM world title challenger. He looked inhuman taking shots but he learned how to roll with them.

A whole bunch of technique mixed in with natural “pop” not all men posses

Fast twitch fibers, technic and timing. Chose two.

Speed x mass

So fast twitch muscles with big shoulders, hands, thick arms.
The punch that you don't see, hurts the most.
So being a good counter puncher and having timing is important.
Commiting too much to the punch also helps. But leaves you vulnerable.
As well as angles = head rotation of hitted person
Height helps. Punching down is nice, punching up is bad.

Holloway:
- Small frame
- Small shoulders
- short arms
=no power, no matter what weight

Garbrandt:
+ lightning fast
+ awesome technique, great boxer
- short arms
+ Overcommiting at times
+ Great angles
= Great power

McGregor:
+ Big shoulders
+ Big hands
+ Thick arms
+ Good Counterpuncher
= Great power for 8 minutes, because of shitty cardio.
He hurt Poirier at 155, Ko Alvarez, Ko Cerrone "170", knocked down Diaz a bunch at "170"

Diaz:
- shitty technique, arm punches
- thin arms
+ long reach
+ good timing
= 4,5/10 power, enough to hurt tired Edwards

Back