What exactly is a SJW?

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
Can someone give me a proper explanation of this? Maybe with examples?

Can someone give me a proper explanation of this? Maybe with examples?

Someone who is passionately "left" to center-left on purely domestic social issues, usually with a reactionary or short-sighted bent. Usually paired with centrist economic views in my experience, but could be rightist, leftist, or altogether incoherent, if they have an interest in economics at all. Their interest is in the political capital of identity politics.

At least that's how I more or less gather.

Last edited:
It's a group of people that get butt hurt or angry on behalf of another group (usually minorities) over issues that are frivolous or blown out of proportion.

Someone who is passionately "left" to center-left on purely domestic social issues, usually with a reactionary or short-sighted bent. Usually paired with centrist, rightist, or altogether incoherent economic posture, if they have an interest in economics at all.

At least that's how I more or less gather.

Is it really associated with the left or right specific

It's a group of people that get butt hurt or angry on behalf of another group (usually minorities) over issues that are frivolous or blown out of proportion.

That sounds more like conservatives. :)

Is it strictly a political thing?

Can you be a SJW about Star Wars for example?

Anyone a conservative disagrees with?

Also this.

Basically, if you ever appreciate or comment on the existence of racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc. you are susceptible to being called one by people who get indignant that those things exist but aren't planted right in front of their nose.

Is it strictly a political thing?

Can you be a SJW about Star Wars for example?

I'm not sure, but I'm already annoyed just reading it.

People with very vocal and progressive social views I guess.
People who are very vocal but do nothing about it except post on social media/virtue signal how much they care and how intolerant the world is. Often it comes in the form of trying to hurt other people just for them to signal that they are indeed quite virtuous. There's no problem with people seeing an issue with society and deciding to do something. But when the extent of your solution is 'raising awareness' and then becoming violent, disruptive or condescending, then you have started descending into the realm of SJW.

A SJW is someone who thinks they know how to right all the world's wrongs.

The term is pejorative because one or more of the following implications usually apply:
-- The SJW has hubris, being blind to any possible unintended consequences of their "solutions"
-- The SJW cares more about "nice feelings" than good policy
-- The SJW is a generally ignorant of historical, governmental, and economic context

The SJW is usually a shallow, utopian thinker-- in that way they share a lot in common with anarchist libertarians.

Usually a ultra liberal aka a progressive

It's better to leave these terms out of it; they are too slippery.

For example, I am a supporter of universal healthcare-- that makes me a progressive (on that issue) and, depending on how you want to define it, "ultra-liberal" as well, since my position is to the left of even most mainstream Democrats (once again, on this issue).

On the other hand, in the majority of countries around the world, for example, the UK and Canada, universal healthcare is taken for granted even by conservatives... so the same belief that would make me a "ultra liberal progressive" in the US fits with being a mainstream conservative there.

So, the terms liberal and conservative are issue and context specific; whereas, SJW is a kind of overall worldview.

Last edited:
A lesser version of the mall ninja or zombie apocalypse prepper.

Just another waste of a zygote with dreams of being a hero, hoping the world ends so they can rewrite who they are.

A lesser version of the mall ninja or zombie apocalypse prepper.

Just another waste of a zygote with dreams of being a hero, hoping the world ends so they can rewrite who they are.

I read your name as @Jermei and got excited for a second :(

Back