What do you do when someone runs at you punching ?

Much better vid IMO:

Much better vid IMO:

From what I remember I figured out pivots on my own from watching boxing while I was doing karate. I wonder if this is traditional karate or an alteration of machida karate? You notice how Chinzo takes steps forward while punching instead of stepping forward.

From what I remember I figured out pivots on my own from watching boxing while I was doing karate. I wonder if this is traditional karate or an alteration of machida karate? You notice how Chinzo takes steps forward while punching instead of stepping forward.
YouTube lineage

You can't do shit. You're fucked.

BelfortWanderlei.gif

It is traditional, though I've seen pivoting/angles emphasized more in Wado than in Shotokan. Iain Abernethy (who has a Wado background) always points out how Kata indicate the angles, at which you are supposed to face the opponent (after you move/shift/pivot) - not the angles from which new attackers are coming! (like they do in shitty demos)

I like to mix teeps and front kicks to mess with the timing of the defense.
I find the front kick a better feint for the Brazilian kick.
And it's also safer if you miss, you wont compromise your balance as much.
But the teep is better for controlling the distance and stop the advance of an opponent. And safer to avoid catching an elbow to the toes/instep or even catching a checking knee...

That one to the liver is a killer...But for me, it's more of a snap roundhouse TKD style (they call it turning kick) than a front kick...

You know I learnt a really great feint from a famous kyokushin karate fighter (Kenji Yamaki) that I try to use. Your post just randomly made me think of it.

When you chamber your knee for a front kick - you purposely chamber your knee high. It allows you to throw a teep to the body, front kick to the face or a brazilian kick. You can literally disguise three different kicks from the same high drawing of the knee. It's incredibly deceptive especially since the chamber looks the same for all three kicks (which is what you're trying to do) - there is very little telegraphing for the guy opposite to figure out what kick it might be. It's especially good if you can mix up all three kicks effectively in punching combinations which is what Kenji Yamaki did.

Although I have to say after trying it often - that you have to be extremely good with teeps/front kicks & brazilian kicks to throw it off. Kenji Yamaki's main kicking repetoire was teeps/front kicks/brazilians kicks/low kicks mainly and that's why he made it work in competition.

I wonder if you have heard anything similar in tkd?

What do u guys think of Side stepping to get an angle as someone is moving forward and then instead of throwing the front kick to the body throwing it to the head. Kind of like some people do with an uppercut but just with more distance

What do u guys think of Side stepping to get an angle as someone is moving forward and then instead of throwing the front kick to the body throwing it to the head. Kind of like some people do with an uppercut but just with more distance
High risk - high reward approach.
I wouldn't do it personally.
And for self-defense I would discourage kicking high in the first place.

@Ramil Kamilov

Gonna agree with Hotora86.

-To risky for self-defense.
-For MT, i can't make it work in my mind. I gotto to try it in sparring, but side stepping in general in MT is a funny bizsness. And if you change angles, usually the opponent will change his angle too, so it might be tricky to get a clean shot to the head with a snap kick from under.
-For TKD, side stepping is very common, but not the front kick. But they use the side step to a jumping turning kick (roundhouse) both with the front or back leg. If you give a 45° angle to the kick, aiming the head, it can look like a front kick kinda...

Last edited:

Difficult at best would be an understatement. If you've stepped to an angle, the other guy is now moving both forward and to the side of where you are while you're trying to catch him in the head with a straight kick, you'll need insanely good timing & distance judgment to pull it off. What you need is a round kick that sweeps across an arc if you want a half-decent shot of kicking him in the head, this gives you an area in space where you can hit his head with the kick rather than a single point in space like the front kick. As @ARIZE mentioned above, the side step to roundhouse is used in TKD, back when I competed in TKD there were a couple guys from our partner dojo who cleaned up in tournaments with that move. They'd get their opponents to blitz in on them then quickly side step and blast them in the body with the roundhouse.

if you have ever watched Ace Ventura then you gotta bust the " Quick Decision " chop Block to the knees.... sends them flying then scramble to the back and sink the rear naked choke

Back