What do you do when someone runs at you punching ?

Ramil Kamilov

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
New video I posted with some funny moments too. How to side step properly.

Give him different looks, stay composed, use good head & lateral movement & look for counters to fire in there

Step, pivot, and try and use the momentum against them

Nothing will knock the wind out of an aggressive mans sails more than a well timed counter punch from a composed opponent, stay relaxed, think, and whip some shots in,

Use feints, throw a couple of shots and then step off, step in and out of range, don't fight his fight, make him waste energy, step in an out and have him follow you Til he becomes weary and then walk him down and fire uppercuts on the inside with hooks over the top

Seoi Nage,

Check hook, or even check roundhouse ( that be cool)

Or do the standard GSP duck under, wrap up, lift, and dump

Then there's the double leg j123 mentioned. If I was a ground fighter I would go there first.
In my first year we did alot of drills where my partner boxes, and I can only defend, my only counter allowed was takedowns. I got pretty good at shooting in on a cross, and it worked wonderful since the weight is shifted forward, and I fold them over alot easier.

Man and on the street, double leg on concrete is game over. Wrestling is the street certified combat sport.

check of fujita vs fedor. cover up, but all your weight on your back foot and hit 'em with a big right as they come at you. works in boxing and even better against unskilled opponents. it is the single easiest way to knock someone out, and it is the reason i laugh when i see someone charge in with punches.

Do you insinuate Yi Long has something to do with fixed fights? This is crazy!!! This is Madness I tell you...

Not an experi enced fighter on anything. Last summer I sparred a friend of mine who won an Ami wado kick boxing tournament in London and has few charity boxing matches. The guy knows fight sports.

So we spar in boxing rules and he appears to be a counter puncher who swarms you with straights once he sees an opening. After getting tagged multiple times and not knowing what to do due to lack of experience I just did what my instincts told me - duck and cover and let him run to you, then in fight. He often bumped into my shoulder and that was my go sign to start swinging. I have a pretty good over hand right from and in fight which I love to trow after a left upper cut or body hook which surprised him few times.

Point is I was initially running back and he kept on tagging me
So I had to learn the hard way that back pedalling is bad and had to stand my ground and watch my opponent.

Not an experi enced fighter on anything. Last summer I sparred a friend of mine who won an Ami wado kick boxing tournament in London and has few charity boxing matches. The guy knows fight sports.

So we spar in boxing rules and he appears to be a counter puncher who swarms you with straights once he sees an opening. After getting tagged multiple times and not knowing what to do due to lack of experience I just did what my instincts told me - duck and cover and let him run to you, then in fight. He often bumped into my shoulder and that was my go sign to start swinging. I have a pretty good over hand right from and in fight which I love to trow after a left upper cut or body hook which surprised him few times.

Point is I was initially running back and he kept on tagging me
So I had to learn the hard way that back pedalling is bad and had to stand my ground and watch my opponent.
That's really what it comes down to. You can never backpedal faster than your opponent pursues, and while back pedaling you have no base, so even if you strike there there's no weight behind your strikes.

Of course there's an extremely small small minority that can pull it off, but they're the exception and not the rule.

Besides there's the mental part as well, if you throw your best stuff, and this guy blocked it all and now presses in your face, that's very troubling opposed to someone being elusive. Personally, the former is tough to deal with as I've been taught to fight that way as well, but against someone that moves and is elusive ala Cruz, I'm not worried or scared and it doesn't affect me mentally. No doubt a better fighter utilizing that style would beat me, but I don't feel the stress or fear.

Lateral movement & double legs. If you catch them early a good solid roundkick to the body when they come in is very under-estimated especially if they are coming in punching. I've caught god knows how many people like that and the roundkicks always land flush & it usually stops them in their tracks.

Lateral movement & double legs. If you catch them early a good solid roundkick to the body when they come in is very under-estimated especially if they are coming in punching. I've caught god knows how many people like that and the roundkicks always land flush & it usually stops them in their tracks.
I've been playing with more "karate" type teep (or front-kicks for those a bit anal on it) and its amazing. When you get them as they inhale, its devastating. Pretty much get winded and shut down, its basically a standing 8 and a fight ender to some.

I've been playing with more "karate" type teep (or front-kicks for those a bit anal on it) and its amazing. When you get them as they inhale, its devastating. Pretty much get winded and shut down, its basically a standing 8 and a fight ender to some.

Yeah the snap kick is great - I make use of it too. I usually do the 45 degree, ball of the foot snap kick and with the hands up it hurts like a mf. Sometimes it can be hard to land a snap kick with the ball of the feet when you throw linear kicks (unless you teep) - it's much easier to land with the ball of the feet when you throw a kick with a bit of angle. I've had it done to me and it knocked the wind & crap out of me.

Yeah the snap kick is great - I make use of it too. I usually do the 45 degree, ball of the foot snap kick and with the hands up it hurts like a mf. Sometimes it can be hard to land a snap kick with the ball of the feet when you throw linear kicks (unless you teep) - it's much easier to land with the ball of the feet when you throw a kick with a bit of angle. I've had it done to me and it knocked the wind & crap out of me.
I actually prefer it over the teep these days, its a huge deterrent, quicker, causes damage, and I can blend my combinations (hands) more fluid than teeping.

I like to mix teeps and front kicks to mess with the timing of the defense.
I find the front kick a better feint for the Brazilian kick.
And it's also safer if you miss, you wont compromise your balance as much.
But the teep is better for controlling the distance and stop the advance of an opponent. And safer to avoid catching an elbow to the toes/instep or even catching a checking knee...

Yeah the snap kick is great - I make use of it too. I usually do the 45 degree, ball of the foot snap kick

That one to the liver is a killer...But for me, it's more of a snap roundhouse TKD style (they call it turning kick) than a front kick...

I like to mix teeps and front kicks to mess with the timing of the defense.
I find the front kick a better feint for the Brazilian kick.
And it's also safer if you miss, you wont compromise your balance as much.
But the teep is better for controlling the distance and stop the advance of an opponent. And safer to avoid catching an elbow to the toes/instep or even catching a checking knee...
That one to the liver is a killer...But for me, it's more of a snap roundhouse TKD style (they call it turning kick) than a front kick...

You know I learnt a really great feint from a famous kyokushin karate fighter (Kenji Yamaki) that I try to use. Your post just randomly made me think of it.

When you chamber your knee for a front kick - you purposely chamber your knee high. It allows you to throw a teep to the body, front kick to the face or a brazilian kick. You can literally disguise three different kicks from the same high drawing of the knee. It's incredibly deceptive especially since the chamber looks the same for all three kicks (which is what you're trying to do) - there is very little telegraphing for the guy opposite to figure out what kick it might be. It's especially good if you can mix up all three kicks effectively in punching combinations which is what Kenji Yamaki did.

Although I have to say after trying it often - that you have to be extremely good with teeps/front kicks & brazilian kicks to throw it off. Kenji Yamaki's main kicking repetoire was teeps/front kicks/brazilians kicks/low kicks mainly and that's why he made it work in competition.

I wonder if you have heard anything similar in tkd?

When you chamber your knee for a front kick - you purposely chamber your knee high. It allows you to throw a teep to the body, front kick to the face or a brazilian kick. You can literally disguise three different kicks from the same high drawing of the knee. It's incredibly deceptive especially since the chamber looks the same for all three kicks (which is what you're trying to do) - there is very little telegraphing for the guy opposite to figure out what kick it might be. It's especially good if you can mix up all three kicks effectively in punching combinations which is what Kenji Yamaki did.

It's something i try to do a lot... I really love the teep, but since i started TKD and saw the front kick, i tried to mix them and disguise them... And the Brazilian kick is kinda the obvious next step. (Obviously mixing it with punching combination is a heresy, but i will forgive you)

I wonder if you have heard anything similar in tkd?

Funny thing is, that even if the front kick is the first kick they learn, and you still practice it daily even as a 3rd degree BB, they don't use it in sparring/matches...
From the top of my head the main reason is the sideway stance that wont allow it, and the low mobility you have when using it. What i mean is that most of the kicks they use in TKD are kicks that can be done while exploding forward or backwards (and sideways for some).

The front kick wont allow you to jump and close the distance... So even if its a very fast technique, its kinda useless for them.
And as a defensive move, its not the best option... They prefer side kicks or back kicks.

So stance + mobility wont allow the front kick to shine.

Me on the other hand, since i went to TKD to better my MT, i still use the MT stance, and try mostly MT techniques... Of course i loose in every big TKD tournament, but the timing/speed of my teeps and front kicks have made a huge leap.
And some time, i even manage to surprise people with my MT in those tournaments, cause they are not used to deal with it.

But, something they like to use and mix, is the side kick and hook kick (not spinning hook kick). They chamber the front leg, and step/jump to close the distance... Its kind of hard to predict if the side kick will go high or mid, and its also hard to predict if they target your face, or the side of it to hook it. They love to use that shit since it can be a very effective offensive or defensive move.
It's also easy to combine it with other kicks. Side kick to back kick is a very classic one. Or some more exotic (needing good flexibility), side kick to drop kick...

If i' ll remember another combination of kicks they like to mix because the start look alike, i will post it, but for now that's all i got...

Back