What do the ACLU, Milo, PETA, and Carafem have in common?

They are saying things, and the ACLU, despite getting 99% of their criticism from the political right, is not a partisan organization, and they protect everyone. They protect racists, fascists, chauvinists, etc. And they are probably the most important player in American discourse if we want to keep it free.

Regardless of their bleeding heart reputation, everyone should have the utmost respect for the ACLU, as being a principled organization dedicated to freedom of expression and self.
They definitely have a hard earned reputation for defending freedom of speech to the hilt. I agree that much of the work they have done has benefited everyone and should be respected and appreciated by everyone. And no, I don't think they are a partisan organization.

But I think one could argue that they have not dune a great job protecting everyone in the past decade or so. They've been curiously absent from issues like conservative speakers being forced off of campuses, campus speech codes, and the erosion of the rights of defendants in rape trials, all of which are among the most pressing civil liberties issues of recent years.

While I'm not deeply informed about the current case involving the DC Metro, it seems like the ACLU is back to form, and doing what it does best. That's excellent and they deserve a lot of credit for it.
I was thinking about @IngaVovchanchyn , who has occasionally talked smack about the ACLUs recent activities. And some of the folks in the Google memo thread.

My criticism of the ACLU almost involved sins of omission rather than commission. I feel they have consistently neglected some issues that were squarely within their normal bailiwick. Still, this seems like a good thing they are doing here.

They definitely have a hard earned reputation for defending freedom of speech to the hilt. I agree that much of the work they have done has benefited everyone and should be respected and appreciated by everyone. And no, I don't think they are a partisan organization.

But I think one could argue that they have not dune a great job protecting everyone in the past decade or so. They've been curiously absent from issues like conservative speakers being forced off of campuses, campus speech codes, and the erosion of the rights of defendants in rape trials, all of which are among the most pressing civil liberties issues of recent years.

While I'm not deeply informed about the current case involving the DC Metro, it seems like the ACLU is back to form, and doing what it does best. That's excellent and they deserve a lot of credit for it.

My criticism of the ACLU almost involved sins of omission rather than commission. I feel they have consistently neglected some issues that were squarely within their normal bailiwick. Still, this seems like a good thing they are doing here.
I don't think campus speech codes are their problem. When it comes to the ACLU and free speech, they defend free speech as its enshrined in the constitution which means they defend infringements on speech by the state and the cases of the campus speech codes don't necessarily fall under that. With state Unis it might be different but even then I think they're legally within their right to have some discretion in choosing speakers and regulating the speech of their students and faculty.

And as far as the bit about rape I don't really know what you're talking about, could you clarify?

ACLU representing Milo....

BRB, my brain is starting to hurt, too sober to comprehend this

I don't think campus speech codes are their problem. When it comes to the ACLU and free speech, they defend free speech as its enshrined in the constitution which means they defend infringements on speech by the state and the cases of the campus speech codes don't necessarily fall under that. With state Unis it might be different but even then I think they're legally within their right to have some discretion in choosing speakers and regulating the speech of their students and faculty.

And as far as the bit about rape I don't really know what you're talking about, could you clarify?
You make a decent point about why the ACLU may not want to entangle themselves in campus issues. I've always seen it as a state issue, since so much of it happens at state universities. The erosion of the rights of rape defendants is mainly also a campus issue, and a very serious one. I ought to have said "hearings' rather than trials, because as of yet it remains an administrative issue, though California has made some rumblings toward following suit in criminal law.

Needless to say, my growing doubts about the ACLU's recent lack of partisanship have been largely allayed by their actions in this case, which seem obviously to be defending both far right and far left voices.

Back