What can I do with my Dumbbells when I out grow 125 lbs per dumbbell or even 165 lbs per dumbbell?

PapiFlaco

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've got Ironmaster Dumbbells up to the 120 lbs per dumbbell set. I can upgrade to the 165 lb per dumbbell set. I won't lie that I'm considering getting the powerblcok urethane since they seem like they're more versatile although less robust than the ironmasters.

Now, I'm ok with not lifting more than that whenever I reach that point. My focus is training for athleticism and overall fitness. My sports are baseball, boxing, and I plan to get into some other arts in the future. I just want to make sure that I can maintain all the strength and athleticism that i gain from maxing out themselves weights. I have to work with what I have long term.

Again, I only use the weight for squats, deadlift variations like the RDL, and maybe farmers walks whenever I can (I really can't since I live in a room of someone else's apartment. I use bodyweight for upper body training but I might switch to using the DBs for upper sometimes.

So what can I do with them when I reach that point?

Last edited:
Also, training at the gym isn't an option, if it was the. I wouldn't be posting this thread...

keep the weight but increase the reps and sets?

keep the weight but increase the reps and sets?

Yea, but that won't last long will it? I'll be back in the same situation. What do I do when I'm able to do 15 to 20 reps with the weight?

My concern is losing my gains. I wanna maintain them. I don't care to gain more but if I'm able to then when giving the chance I will, but my focus is training for athleticism and overall fitness. My sports are baseball, boxing and soon some other martial arts.

Jupiter's gravity is 2.4 times that of Earth. So a dumbbell set that ranges from 5-120 pounds would, on Jupiter, range from 12 to 288 pounds. Therefore, if you move to Jupiter, you will get extended use out of your Ironmaster Dumbbell set. Once you outgrow that, you might consider a move to HD 106906b, which is once again much larger (11x) than Jupiter, which will allow you to continue your progress.

Jupiter's gravity is 2.4 times that of Earth. So a dumbbell set that ranges from 5-120 pounds would, on Jupiter, range from 12 to 288 pounds. Therefore, if you move to Jupiter, you will get extended use out of your Ironmaster Dumbbell set. Once you outgrow that, you might consider a move to HD 106906b, which is once again much larger (11x) than Jupiter, which will allow you to continue your progress.

What's the point of trolling?...

once you get to 3 sets of 15-20, work your way up to do 5 sets of 15-20. there are also different variations of exercises you could do as well as HIIT and/or super sets.

remember, its not the amount/quantity, but also the quality. i've seen guys do half asses squats and deadlifts with some heavy weight and have chit physiques. then there are guys out there only doing 185 lbs squats but have physiques of the gods

you will eventually get used to the resistance. maybe at that point, you will have different fitness goals or be able to go to a gym.

once you get to 3 sets of 15-20, work your way up to do 5 sets of 15-20. there are also different variations of exercises you could do as well as HIIT and/or super sets.

remember, its not the amount/quantity, but also the quality. i've seen guys do half asses squats and deadlifts with some heavy weight and have chit physiques. then there are guys out there only doing 185 lbs squats but have physiques of the gods

you will eventually get used to the resistance. maybe at that point, you will have different fitness goals or be able to go to a gym.

No doubt.

Bodybuilding isn't what I'm training for so physique isn't that big a deal. I figure that'll naturally come as a by product of my sports and training for the sports.

I truthfully never cared nor do I think I'll ever care for dong bodybuilding like training. My focus will always be training for overall athleticism and fitness to help me in the sports that I participate.

I'm sure in the future baseball would be scratched off my list of i can no longer have a shot at being pro. Boxing and martial arts will always be something I mix into my training. I can see climbing, shooting, maybe hunting and archery being stuff I get into int he future but even then I wanna maintain my athleticism for boxing and martial arts while I do those other activities.

You're an idiot, an asshole or both...

Just trying to inject some creativity. That's what you're lacking. Along with a sense of humor.

Here's an idea for real. Get a set of bands. When the weights get too easy, add bands.

For squats, you put bands around the db's and stand on them. For farmer's walk, you wrap the bands around your knees. Get creative. Use exercises that are harder like lunges or Bulgarian split squat. Do pistols. Come on man.

What gains are you worried about losing if you could do 330 for 15 reps but can now do 330 for 30 reps? How is being more proficient with the same weight going to cost you gains?

What gains are you worried about losing if you could do 330 for 15 reps but can now do 330 for 30 reps? How is being more proficient with the same weight going to cost you gains?

Well, I'm here to learn but I'm under the assumption that after a while your body is at higher risk for injury and will drop some amount of strength since its so used to that same exercise at that same weight...

Again, I can be totally wrong but that's why I'm open to being enlightened about the reality backed up by science.

Well, I'm here to learn but I'm under the assumption that after a while your body is at higher risk for injury
be diligent with form and youll be fine.

will drop some amount of strength since its so used to that same exercise at that same weight...

Nope.

I fail to see how you'll run out of adequate resistance with 330lbs any time soon especially when you're using dumbbells that force you to work unilaterally most of the time which inherently puts you at a mechanical disadvantage. Goblet squats, lunges, bulgarian split squats, RDLs, step ups, and even body weight things like GHR will make your legs pretty strong. Seriously, 330lbs is a good amount of weight for those exercises if you're looking to max it out with 3 sets of 5 reps. Revisit this thread when you're able to. It'll probably take you longer than you think.

Have you reached a 5 or 10 rep max with the weights you've currently got? And you can still do lots of good upper body compound lifts with those DB's that have good athletic carryover.

I fail to see how you'll run out of adequate resistance with 330lbs any time soon especially when you're using dumbbells that force you to work unilaterally most of the time which inherently puts you at a mechanical disadvantage. Goblet squats, lunges, bulgarian split squats, RDLs, step ups, and even body weight things like GHR will make your legs pretty strong. Seriously, 330lbs is a good amount of weight for those exercises if you're looking to max it out with 3 sets of 5 reps. Revisit this thread when you're able to. It'll probably take you longer than you think.

Have you reached a 5 or 10 rep max with the weights you've currently got? And you can still do lots of good upper body compound lifts with those DB's that have good athletic carryover.

I'm currently doing 5x5 for the squats. I'm about to include RDLs. As for upper body training, i do push up progressions until I can do handstand push ups and one arm push-ups.

I really only got the Dumbbells for my legs and to do posterior chain training, as well as possibly doing explosive moves like snatches & similar stuff. Maybe even swings and Turkish get ups.

I'm just worried that ironmasters will be too slow and a hassle to switch to different weights from one exercises to the next. Especially when I wanna do other methods of training like circuits, super sets, etc. to add variety once I out grow the weights.

Do you have adjustable Dumbbells like Powerblock or ironmasters?

Also, hasn't there been some studies claiming that unilateral training such as Bulgarian SS aren't what they're cracked up to be and lead to injuries in the knees and hips due to position you're in at such high weight? I read a few articles. Imma search for them again if I can find where I read this.

Also, I wanna be able to lift the whole 250 lbs to 330 lbs. I don't wanna stretch it out as slow as I can just so I can avoid maxing out by purposefully moving slowly towards maxing it out. If that is what you meant, if not then my fault. But I wanna move at a normal pace and once I max out, I plan to maintain that amount of strength from maxing out.

The answers are obvious, but for some reason you continually make excuses to disregard them.

No they aren't obvious. If they were then I wouldn't have made this thread, so do you mind sharing these obvious answers?

Back